Zacuto shrink the EVF - Gratical Eye available soon for $1950

Andrew Reid

2 hours ago, aldolega said:

Sony sells, what, millions of Playstations? Hundreds of thousands at least? And Zacuto will sell, what, maybe ten thousand of these- at the most? It's not even close to fair to be comparing pricing on the two.

That's assuming you won't sell more if you drop the price. If the Playsation was $2000 there would be a lot less people that owned that and it too would be considered a niche item and use its lower sales numbers to try and justify its higher price.  

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Some cameras have power out from the camera: Bolex, Sony f5/f55/fs7+XDCA, etc. I imagine this will play nice with these. An HDMI option would be nice though.

Also, Zacuto last gen EVFs have 1:1 setting, so seeing a pixel perfect image up to 1080p should be fine. They don't support a 4K input, so even if it was a 1080p display you wouldn't see the 4K image.

11 hours ago, roxics said:

That's assuming you won't sell more if you drop the price. If the Playsation was $2000 there would be a lot less people that owned that and it too would be considered a niche item and use its lower sales numbers to try and justify its higher price.  

That will not work, even if Zacuto would sell it 300 USD, there would never be as many EVF sold as playstations. Not until they make a VR head set of it with two higher resolution panels and head traking etc and sell it 300 USD :)  . 

But seriously, I see nothing wrong a high quality tool costing 2000 USD, I am only happy to see there is still companies making high quality tools. Of course if it would cost 300 USD, I would get it for sure, 2000 USD, 'it would be nice to have', does not really justify investing that much.

4 minutes ago, Garug said:

About the USB connector, the connector on the EVF is the same type as on computer? Is there actually a USB cable that has the computer end type USB connector on both ends?

That is a type A USB 2.0 female connector in order to plug in usb thumb drives. 

You can download files into the drive that can:

a) update the firmware

b) Update the LUTs that you can use

I wonder though how they calculate pixels. "Full Display 1280x1024" = 130720 color pixels, and even if they count each color as pixel  3932160 "The Gratical Eye has 5.4 million pixels" ? Something does not match up.  

9 minutes ago, Garug said:

I wonder though how they calculate pixels. "Full Display 1280x1024" = 130720 color pixels, and even if they count each color as pixel  3932160 "The Gratical Eye has 5.4 million pixels" ? Something does not match up.  

It is probably an RGBW design, where W represents white pixels. This is similar to what Sony (and few other companies) use for their LCDs

So  130720 full color pixels * 4 = 5242880 dots which is closer to 5.4MDots.

Interesting, I have been waiting for sensors that work like human eye, with high sensitivity W dots, but did not know there is already such displays. Wonder though why they give the unmeaning-full and I think misleading 5M dots, instead giving that it is a new type of display....

6 hours ago, Garug said:

Interesting, I have been waiting for sensors that work like human eye, with high sensitivity W dots, but did not know there is already such displays. Wonder though why they give the unmeaning-full and I think misleading 5M dots, instead giving that it is a new type of display....

I am just guessing.

Frankly, I still don't understand why this posting of Andrew's has not been amended.  He is quick to attack manufacturer's for their sloppiness, but man this is a glaring error. The crux of his original post clearly presents this viewfinder as working with DSLR's which only have HDMI out, yet it is an SDI only EVF.  The only way to deal with this is some kind of conversion box, which defeats the whole purpose of a smaller EVF.