I'll be at NAB, what would you like me to check out?

Jonesy Jones

1 hour ago, AaronChicago said:

I think all DP's, editors, and VFX artists should start getting familiar with VR. It'll give you a leg up in the near future.

I'd argue against and say, avoid VR and VFX artists like the plague.  Those sticking to their guns and insisting on pushing the envelope with true cinematography will find themselves sitting in a niche when others have all jumped on this technology bandwagon just like they did with 3D.  I think most worthwhile film makers who fell foul to the 3D fad 3-4 years ago probably feel deeply embarrassed by that point in their career.    

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
35 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

and that is what I want Jonesy to report on!!!!

If something new comes out that is $60k, with a beautiful image, then I want to hear about it and weigh up the price and specs myself... I can rent if I cannot afford to buy.

If you look back to my original post... I didn't say anything about budget. Just quality.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys and please keep them coming. The busier you keep me the better my NAB trip will be. 

For the VR/360/3D interest, I must confess I know very little about this. BUT I am very stoked to learn more, so I will be looking into this for sure. From this thread I have some ideas of what to look for, but the more help I can get from you the better. Companies, products, and questions. @Oliver Daniel posted some great questions on another thread recently. Do check that out to see how its done. :)

I think I've added all of your suggestions to my OP, but check it out to make sure I haven't missed anything.

8 minutes ago, richg101 said:

I'd argue against and say, avoid VR and VFX artists like the plague.  Those sticking to their guns and insisting on pushing the envelope with true cinematography will find themselves sitting in a niche when others have all jumped on this technology bandwagon just like they did with 3D.  I think most worthwhile film makers who fell foul to the 3D fad 3-4 years ago probably feel deeply embarrassed by that point in their career.    

There is more to video than just narrative. VR is going to be way bigger than 3D, imho... Anyone who has tried it recently will know that it is starting to become very interesting for many, many fields.

I expect some truly amazing horror films in VR. The cardboard VR "Incidious" game creeped me out more than any film for a long time, even with sub SD quality. The feeling of something being just behind you is 100X as powerful as any 2D or 3D film

4 minutes ago, richg101 said:

Not saying that it will over take normal film making, but I think it'll help you get extra jobs over someone else if you know how to edit or shoot VR. It's getting pretty competitive out there and utilizing new tech helps to give an advantage. With that being said, if it's not something you enjoy then it's not worth it. No reason to get into new tech if it's something you'll hate doing every week.

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

Yeah.... not this year, and probably not next either. Not at any realistic or affordable price point. 

As you can look at what is simply needed from the single / multi camera approach there is already and extrapolate, the leap is simply far far too big to have what you describe happen this year. Only can happen at a much higher price point (such as the Nokia OZO, which costs US$60K!). 

http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/12/11395898/facebook-surround-360-video-camera-vr-f8-conference

14 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

It's already happening at consumer level for $800... I really don't get the difficulties for a company like BM, Sony, Samsung etc

http://vuze.camera/

I think you're missing my point completely....   4K isn't enough!! (that won't provide quality 3D 360 videos) Or maybe we're just speaking two slightly different languages/terminologies and meaning two different things. 

Anyway.... it looks like GoPro is showcasing at NAB their set up:

http://neurogadget.net/2016/04/09/gopro-will-showcase-omni-camera-nab-2016/27693

Will be heaps more expensive than a single GoPro 4 BE, but it should make quality 360 video be way more accessible to the masses. This might be what you're looking for?

12 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

I think you're missing my point completely....   4K isn't enough!! (that won't provide quality 3D 360 videos) Or maybe we're just speaking two slightly different languages/terminologies and meaning two different things. 

Anyway.... it looks like GoPro is showcasing at NAB their set up:

http://neurogadget.net/2016/04/09/gopro-will-showcase-omni-camera-nab-2016/27693

Will be heaps more expensive than a single GoPro 4 BE, but it should make quality 360 video be way more accessible to the masses. This might be what you're looking for?

4K per sensor IS enough, if is well stitched together to provide a real 4K 360 video.

I honestly don't know where you are getting mixed up... I asked if Jonesey could look at the 1 camera solutions and report back if the quality of any new launches are good/close to the rigs..

And no... The GoPro Omni is not what I mean by a "1 camera solution"... It is a rig... There are no sync or auto stitch features and GoPro have a real issue with keeping several cameras running at once. Vuze and Orri are 1 camera solutions and I think a bigger manufacturer will launch one soon... Maybe at NAB... If you don't... that is fine... though a little pointless to keep bringing up.

55 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

4K per sensor IS enough, if is well stitched together to provide a real 4K 360 video.

Yes 4K per sensor is good but an output of 4K for 360 video is just not really high enough, should aspire to more. 

For instance the Orah 4i referenced above says:

"Maximum Video Resolution – 4096×2048 H.264 High Profile (4K)"

Need to be very careful when reading the specs of these systems which say they are "4K", as could be 4K per sensor (good) or 4K in total (bad).

57 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

There are no sync or auto stitch features

To quote from the article again:

This revolutionary rig will contain six GoPro Hero4 Black cameras which will be synchronized and act as a whole, being able to capture 360 videos. GoPro has added that “Proprietary hardware at the center of Omni enables pixel-level synchronization between all six Hero4 Blacks” and that the camera will work with software from VR startup Kolor, the company that was purchased by GoPro in 2015. 

that sounds more interesting.. but please... Let's not turn this thread into x,y,z about 360 video and what you personally consider is or isn't acceptable.

The questions for Jonesey were pretty simple and do not need to extend to price, the benefits of rigs, resolution etc etc.. I just want him to report back anything that he finds cool. We can dissect the details later on.

If you have more specific questions for the guy, ask away.