I'll be at NAB, what would you like me to check out?

Jonesy Jones

Hey guys, I mentioned this in another thread and thought it was worth it's own. I'll be at NAB this year for 2 days, Monday and Tuesday. I've been there a few times before and I generally find myself walking around like a schmuk hypnotized be all the flashing lights. If you guys have some companies or products you'd like some inside info on, it'd be a win/win because it'd give me some purpose. So by all means, if there's something you'd like to see, or some specific questions you'd like answered, please add them to the comments below.

Most of the big bloggers do a great job with all the major announcements, so I imagine you'll get enough info about the big stuff. But what about some of the smaller companies who have some pretty sweet announcements but may go unnoticed? Or if you have a good question about a major announcement that has gone unasked by the main bloggers, let me know. It's not uncommon to even see the CEO's standing around. I can get answers straight from the horse's mouth so to speak. 

Keep in mind that I would really appreciate specific questions. I'm not kidding when I say I easily get distracted and forget to ask even the basic stuff. So the more specific the better. Also, I probably won't have time to do a bunch of editing, but I can definitely take some photos or even shoot a quick video of something if you need that. I'll be checking in periodically Monday and Tuesday, so if something comes up Monday, let me know and I can do some recon for you on Tuesday. I'm happy to do it.

Below are the requests or on the agenda so far:

• Kinefinity
  • Aputure
  • Lilliput
  • SmallHD
  • 360 cameras
  • DJI - X5R?
  • Blackmagic

Probably some more that I can't think of right now. But anyway, let me know.

Added:

• Edelkrone - new products/quality?
  • Letus - Helix
  • Zoom
  • Atamos - HDR, flame
  • Tascam - new product?
  • Yuneec - new drones
  • Sardonic - booth C12042
  • 360/VR/3D - 1 cam vs multirig, Nokia OZO
  • Lytro - size, price, storage, power

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Since BM is on your list, can you please ask them:

1. Are they still working on the global shutter for the micro/ursa mini? 

2. Is there a chance they will release a compact HDMI EVF for the micro? (If they say no, tell them they should cause there are plenty of cameras that need one other than the micro :) ) 

Thanks a lot Jonesy! 

16 minutes ago, Don Kotlos said:

2. Is there a chance they will release a compact HDMI EVF for the micro? (If they say no, tell them they should cause there are plenty of cameras that need one other than the micro :) ) 

Thanks a lot Jonesy! 

I agree, they'd make a fortune with those. Will be surprised if they don't announce it this year.

2 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

Kinefinity: I understand why you are adding ProRes, but why did you drop cineform? It is the codec that I prefer.

+x10000 please visit Kinefinity.

Also take a look at what Yuneec is up to, I think they're one of the more interesting players in the drone market (and they just got a massive investment from Intel).

I'm curious as to what Zoom and Tascam have got coming down the line with their recorders. Be interesting if Tascam releases something above their DR-680 mk2 to compete with the Zoom F8.

Please check out Saramonic, as I'm very interested in their wireless offerings (meant to be shipping a XLR TX in June). Saramonic will be at booth No. C12042

Anything 3D / VR / 360 video related I would be very very very interested in, especially if it is reasonably affordable ish.  Probably we'll see at NAB a few players pop up who we haven't even heard about before. 

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

Please check out Saramonic, as I'm very interested in their wireless offerings (meant to be shipping a XLR TX in June). Saramonic will be at booth No. C12042

On a related point I should add please check them out if you see Azden or BOYA (I think like Rokinon/Samyang/Vivitar/etc, BOYA goes under a different name in different parts of the world?! I think BOYA/Monoprice/Movo/Vidpro/Pyle/PylePro are all the same??? Maaaaaybe, really am not sure). 

35 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Are there any 1 camera solutions that look close to the quality of the multicam rigs?

I'd highly highly doubt this, as you'd need an 8K or even higher resolution single camera to even begin to get close to the good multicam rigs. 

8 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

I'd highly highly doubt this, as you'd need an 8K or even higher resolution single camera to even begin to get close to the good multicam rigs. 

Probably... But the 1 camera system can include several sensors/lenses

Speaking of which, please check the lytro area... Any specifics on their VR camera would be great. Size, price, how they are powering it, how they are storing data in the field.

10 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Probably... But the 1 camera system can include several sensors/lenses

Ah I see, but then you end up with exactly the same as a multi camera rig, except they're assembling it for you (at great cost than if you do it yourself, and with much less flexibility). Doesn't seem like a great idea at all.

I'd prefer to concentrate on being creative rather than mess with wires, syncing and stitching. I'm sure I'm not alone , which is why I want to hear what is at NAB. I'm also interested in rigs too, but why limit the information that Jonesy can gather?

If he says "the 1 camera solutions are dreadful" then that is still great info... If he says "they are good but expensive" that is still great info

PS - It is more than feasible for a company like BM to see the surge in demand for 360 video and create a fully integrated 1 camera, multi sensor system... For example, if you build a rig with 6 micros... it is a bit cumbersome... If BM themselves did it, there could be one central SD area rather than 6... Maybe 2 larger power units rather than 6... Possibly even one super fast processor instead of 6. With a system built from the ground up for 360 video, you could create space for better cooling, better sync, realtime stitching etc.

So a clever company could make a 1 camera system that works like a 6 camera system... but fully integrated and thought out.... Hell, they might even save money on the overall cost.

This is what I expect to see at NAB, if not this year.. then next.

4 hours ago, Jimmy said:

This is what I expect to see at NAB, if not this year.. then next.

Yeah.... not this year, and probably not next either. Not at any realistic or affordable price point. 

As you can look at what is simply needed from the single / multi camera approach there is already and extrapolate, the leap is simply far far too big to have what you describe happen this year. Only can happen at a much higher price point (such as the Nokia OZO, which costs US$60K!). 

43 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Yeah.... not this year, and probably not next either. Not at any realistic or affordable price point. 

As you can look at what is simply needed from the single / multi camera approach there is already and extrapolate, the leap is simply far far too big to have what you describe happen this year. Only can happen at a much higher price point (such as the Nokia OZO, which costs US$60K!). 

and that is what I want Jonesy to report on!!!!

If something new comes out that is $60k, with a beautiful image, then I want to hear about it and weigh up the price and specs myself... I can rent if I cannot afford to buy.

If you look back to my original post... I didn't say anything about budget. Just quality.