Need some advice on Mamiya(or other) MF lenses on Nikon mount

sudopera

I currently use Nikon D750 as my main camera for shooting video and just out of curiosity I searched the web for some lens mounts that can be adapted to Nikon, and found that Fotodiox has adapters for Mamiya 645, Contax 645 and Hasselblad V lenses that maintain infinity focus without additional glass elements. I saw on Ebay that Mamiyas are reasonably priced, so I'm intrigued. I don't have any experience with MF glass whatsoever, so any advice/knowledge on performance and usability of MF lenses on a FF camera would be very helpful, and generally is there any gain in image quality vs regular FF lenses.

Edit: by regular FF lenses I don't mean Zeiss Otus/Milvus or Leicas :grin:

Links to adapters:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/995110-REG/fotodiox_hassy_v_nk_p_pro_nikon_f_mount_lens.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/995105-REG/fotodiox_m645_nk_p_pro_nikon_f_mount_lens.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/995112-REG/fotodiox_ctx645_nk_pro_nikon_f_mount_lens.html

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Any 645 glass will work just fine on FF, but a little bit boring when used cropped.You will not gain quality, maybe even loose a little wide open.

The mamiya 55 2.8 for example will give ugly bokeh compared to a Fullframe 55 2.8 lens, because it's a cheap wideangle lens.

Btw, you can't control aperture on contax 645 lenses because they are electronic.

I believe there are now electronic contax 645 lens adaptors allowing aperture control.  contax 645 will be the best bet - they still just about deliver on digital backs since are modern by the standards of other mf lenses in the price range.  the cheap mamiya mf glass is cheap for a reason.  The number of RED guys waiting on their Vista vision/8k sensor upgrade who are stockpiling mamiya mf lenses thinking they'll be a good move for what is effectively a full frame sensor is staggering.  Instead of putting the money towards full frame lenses that on the whole do a better job for less weight and cost.

If your budget allows then go contax 645 for best results.  f2.8 hassy V lenses (50mm, 80mm, 150mm) are amazing lenses and a good investment since they have 80mm image circles so are somewhat future proof.  the 50mm matches a good full frame 50mm, the 80mm outdoes most 80-85mm lenses for full frame and the 150mm/2.8 hassy smashes nearly all 135-150mm f2.8 lenses for full frame.  The 110/2 is just a madman, but sadly is very costly.  if sony ever release a mf interhchangable then these will be a very desirable lens.  these lenses are gonna be the only ones worth using with the medium format speed boosters that are coming out too.

Personally I;d suggest contax 'CY zeisses' and leitax nikon remounts.  at f2.8 on full frame they'll kill medium format lenses for overall image.  only once you go medium format does the advantage of the medium format image circle become worth the weight and expense.

Thank you guys, I really appreciate this... and Rich is right, Fotodiox adapter for Contax 645 that is linked in my previous post has built in iris control

10 minutes ago, richg101 said:

Personally I;d suggest contax 'CY zeisses' and leitax nikon remounts.  at f2.8 on full frame they'll kill medium format lenses for overall image.  only once you go medium format does the advantage of the medium format image circle become worth the weight and expense.

So Rich in your opinion am I better of with remounted CY Zeisses than Nikon AIS... and also do you maybe have any experience with MIR 35 f2 (there is a version with Nikon mount), I saw that some photographers are full of praise and call it "poor man's Leica", some stills that I've seen really look great

1 hour ago, richg101 said:

If your budget allows then go contax 645 for best results.  f2.8 hassy V lenses (50mm, 80mm, 150mm) are amazing lenses and a good investment since they have 80mm image circles so are somewhat future proof.  the 50mm matches a good full frame 50mm, the 80mm outdoes most 80-85mm lenses for full frame and the 150mm/2.8 hassy smashes nearly all 135-150mm f2.8 lenses for full frame.  The 110/2 is just a madman, but sadly is very costly.  if sony ever release a mf interhchangable then these will be a very desirable lens.  these lenses are gonna be the only ones worth using with the medium format speed boosters that are coming out too.

I don't think contax lenses are that great. The 80 2 is super soft, the 45 2.8 is so so, the 35 3.5 is good. I don't see they are much better than mamiya glass (which btw, isn't that bad and totally usable for video or with a speedbooster, obviously not for 100mp 645).

5 hours ago, sudopera said:

and also do you maybe have any experience with MIR 35 f2 (there is a version with Nikon mount), I saw that some photographers are full of praise and call it "poor man's Leica", some stills that I've seen really look great

I use the Mir-24 (35mm f2) a lot for video work & it is good - probably the best Russain lens that i've used (I just use Russain lenses or Nikon ai-s).

It comes in Nikon or M42 mount (i've got the M42 version) - the different mounts have different bodies & the Nikon version apparently has more/better MC.

However, I don't really think that its in the same league as a Leica, but then what lens is - it is as good/better than the Nikon 35mm f2. Very good lens, focuses very close (almost macro) & cheap for the Nikon mount version - quality control with Russain lenses can vary.

Just now, Nikkor said:

I don't think contax lenses are that great. The 80 2 is super soft, the 45 2.8 is so so, the 35 3.5 is good. I don't see they are much better than mamiya glass (which btw, isn't that bad and totally usable for video or with a speedbooster, obviously not for 100mp 645).

Zeiss didn't do an 80mm in C/Y mount, and the 85's they did do are world class, two of the finest lenses ever made. The 40 is ludicrus to try to use as a result of it's size, and why would you when the 35's and the 50's are so superb?

26 minutes ago, DayRaven said:

Zeiss didn't do an 80mm in C/Y mount, and the 85's they did do are world class, two of the finest lenses ever made. The 40 is ludicrus to try to use as a result of it's size, and why would you when the 35's and the 50's are so superb?

What's your problem?

Nikkor, I own the Mir 24n 35mm. It's an excellent lens for video, very creamy look and long smooth focus ring. Also like Bioskop.Inc states it focuses so close it is practically a macro.

If your looking for something in the Zeiss league you should look into the voigtlander lenses, I own the the 28mm, 40mm, and 90mm and they are all very sharp with great colors and rendering and small.

I have a D750, i'll throw up a Mir 24n test with in up in the next couple of days.

Just now, Nikkor said:

What's your problem?

I'm sorry, you make completely false statement, I gently correct it, but I'm the one with the problem? If you want to go off topic and have a private conversation with me, use the pm system.

1 hour ago, DayRaven said:

I'm sorry, you make completely false statement, I gently correct it, but I'm the one with the problem? If you want to go off topic and have a private conversation with me, use the pm system.

Lol, get your hands off of me you wierdo. You have no clue man, read the topic.

8 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

If your looking for something in the Zeiss league you should look into the voigtlander lenses, I own the the 28mm, 40mm, and 90mm and they are all very sharp with great colors and rendering and small.

I have a D750, i'll throw up a Mir 24n test with in up in the next couple of days.

Actually I was thinking about slowly collecting a Nikon AIS or C/Y Zeiss set but instead of 50's to throw in a Voigtlander 58 f1.4. I guess it is more similar to Zeiss in image rendering.

That MIR test on D750 would be really great, thanks.

34 minutes ago, Bioskop.Inc said:

If you're on a buget you could always try the Yashica ML lenses - cheaper version of Zeiss, really underated & excellent.

Yes Andy Lee praised them all the time on the forum, but since there is no info on Leitax page about the compatibility for remounting to Nikon it would be a risky buy, because some of the CY Zeisses are also not compatible without a little bit of rear lens barrel shaving.

http://leitax.com/Zeiss-Contax-lens-for-Nikon-cameras.html

13 minutes ago, sudopera said:

Yes Andy Lee praised them all the time on the forum, but since there is no info on Leitax page about the compatibility for remounting to Nikon it would be a risky buy, because some of the CY Zeisses are also not compatible without a little bit of rear lens barrel shaving.

http://leitax.com/Zeiss-Contax-lens-for-Nikon-cameras.html

Stick to Nikon ai-s - lovely lenses.

Here's some useful links, that really helped me out when choosing which lenses to buy (the first link has spot on evaluations, the second is just serial numbers/dates):

http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_surv.html#rating

http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html#35

2 minutes ago, Bioskop.Inc said:

Stick to Nikon ai-s - lovely lenses.

Here's some useful links, that really helped me out when choosing which lenses to buy (the first link has spot on evaluations, the second is just serial numbers/dates):

http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_surv.html#rating

http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html#35

thanks

I think - unless there's some specialty look you're after that yo can only get from an MF lens - it's kind of chasing your tail to stick something made for a giant piece of film (compared to your sensor) on your camera. Unless you're shooting 120 film on a 645.

I still shoot B&W with Mamiya 6x7 gear, not knocking it and those big negs look 3D on the light box. I can't see the benefit other than just being different (nothing wrong with that though). Many MF lenses are crazy sharp and the "sharpness for different film plane whatever" stuff above sounds questionable to me. My MF negs and transparencies are plenty sharp if you crop a 35mm-sized piece from it. 

6 hours ago, M Carter said:

I think - unless there's some specialty look you're after that yo can only get from an MF lens - it's kind of chasing your tail to stick something made for a giant piece of film (compared to your sensor) on your camera. Unless you're shooting 120 film on a 645.

Because I don't have any experience with MF glass, I was just curious is there something to gain with that option, like maybe more 3D pop, creamier backgrounds and such.

Judging by responses from you and others, It's clear to me that it would be better to build a set of FF primes and only go to MF glass if some speedboosters appear in the future.

One other thing... I see that Hassy V to F mount adapter is quite thick, so I guess there is more than enough room for speedbooster. That would be really great if possible.

Well, the adapter thickness is to get the lens in the proper place in relation to the sensor plane (film plane in the old days). If you extend it by using a speedbooster, you'll just make a macro-only lens, like using an extension tube. Unless the SB is made specifically for putting a specific brand of MF lenses on a specific mount, (like a mamiya to nikon SB), which… I wouldn't hold your breath for that, seems like a micro market.