Lytro Cinema - Camera from the future?

Don Kotlos

755 RAW Megapixels 

Up to 300 fps

Up to 16 stops of Dynamic Range 

Integrated High Res Active Scanning Systems

POST-CAPTURE REFOCUS
& EXTENDED DEPTH OF FIELD

With Light Field cinematography, creative camera controls transform into flexible post-production processes, liberating shots from restrictive on-set decisions.

COMPUTATIONAL FRAME RATE
& SHUTTER ANGLE

Adjust frame rates and shutter angles in post-production, so motion blur becomes a flexible creative decision.

DEPTH SCREEN

With depth screen, it's as if there is a green screen for every object in the scene. But it's not limited to any one object. It's anywhere in space.

LIGHT FIELD CAMERA TRACKING

Combining an integrated high resolution active scanning system with the Light Field data, Lytro Cinema is providing precise camera tracking information that greatly simplifies the task of CG integration and match moving.

https://www.lytro.com/cinema

Media Coverage:

"This camera is essentially military-grade technology, so Lytro is initially working on getting this camera in filmmakers’ hands when they need it rather than selling the entire solution to studios. Lytro says rental packages start at $125k for utilizing the Cinema hardware/software suite."  techcrunch

"The cold hard fact was that we were competing in an established industry where the product requirements had been firmly cemented in the minds of consumers by much larger more established companies," wrote Rosenthal. "This issue was compounded by the fact that the consumer camera market was declining by almost 35% per year driven by the surge in smartphone photography and changing consumer tastes." theverge

"" That means there's also nothing stopping one from simulating short dolly motion or perspective shifts in post, with nothing but a static camera at the time of capture. "You can shift the camera to the left... [or] to the right, as if you had made that exact decision on set. It can even move your camera in and out" says Head of Light Field Video, Jon Karafin." dpreview

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 minute ago, Cinegain said:

Thought April fools' was just the 1st? :grimace:

When I first saw the video and really thought it was a joke. But it looks Lytro found their segment and it will be very very hard for any other company to compete with them. In few years things may change but definitely not anytime soon.  

I bet that as soon as this camera becomes available it will be in every large production. 

Their VR cam looks very expensive too... They seem to be getting into very highend, very niche markets.

I'm trying to get a prototype model for a VR project I am working on, but fear it will be too pricey and data heavy.

5 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Their VR cam looks very expensive too... They seem to be getting into very highend, very niche markets.

I'm trying to get a prototype model for a VR project I am working on, but fear it will be too pricey and data heavy.

"rental packages start at $125k", so at least for the Lytro Cinema this is not possible :) 

3 minutes ago, sanveer said:

I dunno why, but I find Lytro to be a very shady company. I find they over-advertise and then produce mediocre products. 

I have briefly used their original Lytro and it did what they said it would do. The problem was that it wasn't that useful or even inspiring.

Their technology makes much more sense for Cinema and now they are taking advantage of that... 

4 minutes ago, Don Kotlos said:

I have briefly used their original Lytro and it did what they said it would do. The problem was that it wasn't that useful or even inspiring.

Their technology makes much more sense for Cinema and now they are taking advantage of that... 

What was the resolution of their post-focus camera? And could you share some pics?

Just now, sanveer said:

What was the resolution of their post-focus camera? And could you share some pics?

A friend of mine had bought it and I was playing with it so unfortunately I have no pictures. The quality was not that great, but since then I believe it has improved a lot. The biggest drawback for me was their design. It appears the same design works much better for a larger studio cam...

Just now, Don Kotlos said:

A friend of mine had bought it and I was playing with it so unfortunately I have no pictures. The quality was not that great, but since then I believe it has improved a lot. The biggest drawback for me was their design. It appears the same design works much better for a larger studio cam...

I find the Post Focus feature on the Panasonic cameras far more sensible. And the post focus thing is not the stand alone feature. 

6 minutes ago, sanveer said:

I find the Post Focus feature on the Panasonic cameras far more sensible.

I have no experience with the post focus feature, but I thought it is more for static objects since it takes multiple photographs. Isn't that the case? 

With one picture of the Lytro you had controls like this:

lytro.PNG

And the post focus thing is not the stand alone feature. 

Definitely and that is probably one of the reasons that Lytro cameras did not have that much appeal. 

4 minutes ago, Don Kotlos said:

I have no experience with the post focus feature, but I thought it is more for static objects since it takes multiple photographs. Isn't that the case? 

The one picture of the Lytro you had controls like this:

lytro.PNG

Definitely and that is probably one of the reasons that Lytro cameras did not have that much appeal. 

Interesting features. 

1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

most techonlogy like the tesla cars, 4k and super slow motion always starts out in the high end of the market then slowly trickles down into the consumer market so i would guess same will happen with this new technology

Meh, I don't know. This seems too.. easy; like cheating. Wouldn't this take away from what-would-be the fun aspects of film making? "Never miss focus.." etc. Where's the fun in that? I understand and agree that the technology is awesome and useful in some situations, but it takes away from the problem solving aspects. "Now you don't have to use your brain!" Great! I didn't want to use it, anyway...

This camera will certainly have its uses.

I don't, however, think it will replace/overtake traditional cinema cameras. We're already seeing more and more left to post, and budgets blow out because of it. I think the object tracking and whatever the technology around that is, is awesome. I think the rest is a bit of a gimmick which will be useful in very specific applications, but the reality of production means it's significantly easier to choose an aperture, focal point, and focal length on set than it is to sit there dialing it in for each and every shot in post.

Not to mention its size, assumed cost etc.

I do think it will find a place in VFX, especially big budget VFX. Seems like a perfect VFX camera (although I'd like to know more about how it actually captures the images)