Sony A7RII Sensor Dark Lines (Pics)

exomonkeyman

Hello guys.

So iv'e noticed this for a while now but finally decided to actually bring it up. I'm getting this dark streak effect only noticeable in dark areas with one hot light source. Seen on multiple different lenses and adapters and even noticeable when no adapters are in use. Mostly noticeable only in SLOG2 and video mode but can be soon with no picture profile and even in photo i think. And i can also recreate.

When graded it's never really noticeable but damn, worried that it might be a defected sensor, or just a well documented artifact known with this series of cameras along with the A7SII.

Not the best pics but look close and you will see it.

4K Crop Unedited

Standard crop unedit.PNG

Same but pushed to show it more

Edited to shot it more.PNG

4K Small crop

crop 02.PNG

Same but pushed to show it more

023232.PNG

If it looks like a bad problem what should i do next. Anymore tests i should do?

EDIT: After some small tests it seems to disappear when going into PP5/Cine4 and all other modes. Just not SLog2

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

it's simply a artifact when the sensor is pushed too far.  Mine does this.  the effect only really shows where the dynamic range in the shot is beyond what it;s capable of handling - pulling the shadows down will remove this.  the difference between the black sky and a street lamp is almost an infinity number to stops difference.  a bounce board for your talent or a small led source on your camera will lift the talent and allow you to expose slightly less then the light sources wont cause this.  it's a bit like the vertical flares often seen on 1990's dv cameras when they flare.  

if you really wanna hide this artifact..  shoot anamorphic and the flares will hide it:)

PS.  S-Log isnlt the best profile for this type of scene.  you;re wasting a lot of the dynamic range that s-log provides.  try one of the cine profiles.  one of them (I think cine 4) has a better response curve for night scenes.

23 minutes ago, richg101 said:

it's simply a artifact when the sensor is pushed too far.  Mine does this.  the effect only really shows where the dynamic range in the shot is beyond what it;s capable of handling - pulling the shadows down will remove this.  the difference between the black sky and a street lamp is almost an infinity number to stops difference.  a bounce board for your talent or a small led source on your camera will lift the talent and allow you to expose slightly less then the light sources wont cause this.  it's a bit like the vertical flares often seen on 1990's dv cameras when they flare.  

if you really wanna hide this artifact..  shoot anamorphic and the flares will hide it:)

PS.  S-Log isnlt the best profile for this type of scene.  you;re wasting a lot of the dynamic range that s-log provides.  try one of the cine profiles.  one of them (I think cine 4) has a better response curve for night scenes.

Epic reply Cant thank you enough!!

45 minutes ago, exomonkeyman said:

Epic reply Cant thank you enough!!

No probs man:)  Be aware that what Allister Chapman says might not be what others believe is best for certain scenes.  - so often s-log might be very viable for certain low light scenes where you need the huge dynamic range advantage in highlight detail.  for instance just after sunset, shooting towards the sun.   for the scene in your images you;re dedicating a lot of dr to the strret lights - which will be blown out even if you had 20 stops of dr.

11 minutes ago, richg101 said:

No probs man:)  Be aware that what Allister Chapman says might not be what others believe is best for certain scenes.  - so often s-log might be very viable for certain low light scenes where you need the huge dynamic range advantage in highlight detail.  for instance just after sunset, shooting towards the sun.   for the scene in your images you;re dedicating a lot of dr to the strret lights - which will be blown out even if you had 20 stops of dr.

Yep, slog should be used with caution with 8bit cameras. Alister is very knowledgeable but he comes from a high end camera point of view that usually is at least 10bit and not limited by codec (plus it seems he doesn't want to piss off Sony).  

Cine2/Cine1(0-255 cine2) work nice under low light for me with less highlight protection but some boost in the shadows.