80D external recorder for RAW

Rinad Amir

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I suppose Canon 80D doesn't have clean HMDI output.

And while the 80D might not offer groundbreaking new video features, or even increasingly popular ones such as 4K resolutions, high-speed video modes or clean HDMI output, there are some welcomed improvements on the video front for the 80D. (from imaging-resource)

Magic Latern still doesn't work properly on Canon 70D, so I doubt it will release on 80D anytime soon.

• 8 months later...

Jimmy, I'm very interested in your Black Magic Video Assist solution and am looking at the 5" and 7" model.  I do have a question about how this is working for you.

I shoot 4 camera set ups for interviews, mixing a Sony x-70 (XLR inputs for 2 Sennheiser Lavliere mics) with 2 Canon 80Ds (external mics just for sound sync in post) and a motorized Konova slide for subtle movement.  I also use Zoom H4N for audio backup.  I LOVE the DOF in the Canons, but the 30 minute limit is testy.  I'd love to get much longer shots, and so am interested in the video assist.

1. are you able to record 1080p through the HDMI out?  is it clean enough to be high quality.  Do you have to do anything to keep the output clean (i.e. no facial focus marks)

2. do you get audio?  I need this to sync in FCP-x.  If not, the 7" has mini XLR I could use to bring in sound, but that's $400 more than the 5"

3. does this actually extend the 29.59 limit, in your experience.  Are there tricks you have to do to keep the camera live

4. are you still able to use the LCD  touch screen for focus adjust, etc?

Thank you so much for your thoughts

Scott

• 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...