SLR Magic 35mm T1.4 or SEL35F18 For Videography

lmackreath

Morning all

I am looking to purchase one of the two lenses for a wedding I am shooting in June. The SEL35F18 is priced around £350-£400 and the SLR around £200 less at £177.

I always use manual focus so autofocus on the SEL35F18 is not important to me. What is and has always been important though is OSS which obviously the SLR magic does not have.

I am thinking though that the other benfits of this lens (price, faster lens) outweighs the image stabilisation problem and as long as I use a mono pod tripod/dolly/slider/steady-cam with this lens then the lack of OSS will not be an issue.

Does anyone have any thoughts or recommendations?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

save your money and buy a Carl Zeiss Flektogon 35mm f2.4

superb lens very sharp and you can buy one on ebay cheap

Shooting a wedding at T1.4 is not advisable as you will have such a narrow dof your wedding guests faces will be

half in focus half out of focus! they wont be happy!

I have shot pop videos for MTV with the Carl Zeiss Flektogon it is a stunning lens

save your money and buy a Carl Zeiss Flektogon 35mm f2.4

superb lens very sharp and you can buy one on ebay cheap

Shooting a wedding at T1.4 is not advisable as you will have such a narrow dof your wedding guests faces will be

half in focus half out of focus! they wont be happy!

I have shot pop videos for MTV with the Carl Zeiss Flektogon it is a stunning lens

I am not planning to use this lens wide open in the day time...but I am looking at using the 1.4 in evening scenes when in doors.

What makes you say that may I ask?...do you not feel the lack of oss would be a major issue?

For photography I wouldn't want to miss autofocus.

It depends on your filming style. But I'd prefer working with a monopod/tripod/dolly/slider/steady-cam, like you say. You're probably using more then one lens, so either they have to be all OSS or you use some other kind of stabilisation.

Also hand held 35mm should be okay. Not for static shots during a ceremony... but during the party a bit of shake isn't the end of the world.