Colorgrade This!

Deadcode

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
8 minutes ago, Deadcode said:

Camera is irrelevant in this case i guess, but we can make another "guess the camera" if you want :) 

Yup, it's in Budapest, Hungary

Don't know how others grade but to me its 100% relevant. Did a grade that usually looks nice but the codec fell like a house of cards.
Its a trial and error until I know and that just takes to much time :)

So I just did a quick thing treating it as rec709. Nothing special, leveled it 1 degree as well.

gradegr.md.jpg

Dayraven: The way you like it, what is "natural" for you and show some "filmic grade, like Mattias above

In my mind: "dont burn the highlights" and most contrasty scenes i can find

Mattias: I'll tell you tomorrow :) 35Mbps H264 export, maybe next time im doing a littlebit higher bitrate export. At the tree scene it falls apart even without grade

I like your grade, but your footages usually have this look, so that was expected from you :)

• Super Members
3 minutes ago, Deadcode said:

Mattias: I'll tell you tomorrow :) 35Mbps H264 export, maybe next time im doing a littlebit higher bitrate export. At the tree scene it falls apart even without grade

Its an awesome idea for a thread, but I rather have footage straight from the card, no exports. And info on camera, lens, and PP.
Then we can see the difference in how we grade and discuss how.

Here's my effort - I treated them all the same, as the editing had been done. I tried to dither out the banding, but honestly I would have reshot the indoor shots - on not included them so didn't go crazy and spend hours on them. Also didn't straighten the horizon, on the building exterior, as it is pre-edited, I assume the slight dutch is intentional. If it wasn't, again, I would reshoot or leave out. Also I would dial back on the stabilization, if I were to do it again.

GH4?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18357586/1.mp4

1 hour ago, Mattias Burling said:

Its an awesome idea for a thread, but I rather have footage straight from the card, no exports. And info on camera, lens, and PP.
Then we can see the difference in how we grade and discuss how.

I agree with Mattias. You have to provide the original footage for this to work. 

I gave it a try but it falls apart so quickly that it cannot be used to create unique looks.

Edit: Here are some frame-grabs from the same color grading across the video:

Edit2: With the Prores version I could push the colors a bit more:

Untitled_1.2.1.jpgUntitled_1.2.2.jpgUntitled_1.2.3.jpgUntitled_1.2.4.jpgUntitled_1.2.5.jpgUntitled_1.2.6.jpgUntitled_1.2.7.jpgUntitled_1.2.8.jpg

Just now, DayRaven said:

Here's my effort - I treated them all the same, as the editing had been done. I tried to dither out the banding, but honestly I would have reshot the indoor shots - on not included them so didn't go crazy and spend hours on them. Also didn't straighten the horizon, on the building exterior, as it is pre-edited, I assume the slight dutch is intentional. If it wasn't, again, I would reshoot or leave out. Also I would dial back on the stabilization, if I were to do it again.

GH4?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18357586/1.mp4

Nice reds and greens, i like it!

I removed the post stabilisation and exported without neat noise reduction, so expect some heavy grain in the low's

Same footage in ProRes, without Stab and NR

The camera is Panasonic LX100 at ISO200, F4, auto shutter

Settings: Standard with -5 contrast, iDynamic: Medium, -1,33 EV exposure, +3 highlights/-1 shadows

Post: 16-255 to 16-235 remap, Filmconvert GH4 Standard profile, level adjusments to fill the waveform monitor, apply Osiris REC709 to LOG LUT, Neat noise reduction, export to 1080p

Why did i do that? The footage is easily gradeble, you can have nice result with minor tweaks. With this camera settings the latitude is nice, but it costs a lot of noise.

My short them goal is to learn more about colorgradeing from the forum members, and my long term goal is to make a "my camera to 1Dc LUT" for every camera out there, like Andrew Raid started with A7/NX1/GH4 camera guides

Here is my "natural" screengrabsScreen Shot 2016-04-07 at 22.56.11.png

Screen Shot 2016-04-07 at 22.55.46.png