Medium Format 4K Raw Video on new Hasselblad Camera

Geoff CB

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Going to be either a crop or pixel binned from that 100MP sensor, so it's not going to go challenging RED for image quality any time soon. Besides they have by far the better raw codec and 8K raw coming soon as well.

6 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Going to be either a crop or pixel binned from that 100MP sensor, so it's not going to go challenging RED for image quality any time soon. Besides they have by far the better raw codec and 8K raw coming soon as well.

It will be probably the same as the videos I sent you from the phaseone, so the problem is rolling shutter. Anyway, the speedbooster for the A7 is coming this or next month :)

Another source says 4K raw...

Btw, there is a new sony rumor about an A9 with a decent sized 1Dxii/d5 style body.

12 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

"Medium format look - The narrow depth-of-field associated with medium format cameras gives an unrivalled look and bokeh to your footage."

Yes, this might mean pixel binning, but why much such a sweeping statement?... MF, 15 stops DR in a small package and Hassy's incredible colour and skintones... People will go crazy over this if it is not completely screwed with moire and aliasing.

Also....

"When you simply need the highest quality, the H6D-100c can also capture UHD (4K) video in Hasselblad’s proprietary RAW video format." Maybe see what this format is before claiming RED's is "far the better"?

I think the people buying this camera can probably find a way to deal with lightly compressed 4K raw like you find on an F55.

33 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

I wonder if the start to this was shot on the new camera?

I was wondering too, but I doubt it. Aside from them not pointing it out, there are no mentions of high frame rate in the specs, are there?

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

-53 x 40mm pick up area
-3840 x 2160 UHD, full sensor crop
-Hasselblad RAW Video Format, both HD & UHD
-Hasselblad bundled software can convert directly to ProRes 444/HQ/LT
-H.264 available
-15 stops of DR

Cool really. Want some footage to see aliasing/moire, my biggest concern, as well as rolling shutter. 

At that price you can get an F55 or a C300II or an Weapon though, so not really a great deal for ''just'' film people. 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I think more like 0.7x, if you guys can correct me?

It IS a big a## sensor with big a$$ magical high quality glass.  

44 minutes ago, BrorSvensson said:

what kind of crop factor do you get with the 53 x 40mm sensor? 0.5x?

in video mode the frame will be 16:9 so the biggest they'll get is 53mm x 30mm vs Full Frame which is 36mmx20mm in 16:9.  It's a significant increase in sensor area, however I bet they window in.  - the 11,000 pixels of sensor width skipped down to 3800 will not be nice!.  Assuming they do use the full sensor width the horizontal crop factor is 0.68x.  When the lens speed tops out at f2.8 on Hassy's boring lens line up a 5dmk3 in raw and some otus's are likely a better bet for achieving the look of medium format motion picture.     

Since it's a Phase One back, I expect video will be offered on the phase system, - vastly superior lens line up.  Still I imagine the downscaling to 4k from over 16k worth of pixels is gonna affect image so much it won't matter what lens you use.