Vimeo Export

enny

What is the best export for vimeo out of premiere pro I read some people export 2k files size where original was HD so when vimeo does its compression it keep more quality. I seen some vimeo where picture is dam good and some dam bad both shoot in HD there are so many opinions out there on exporting for vimeo. Even premiere has preset for vimeo but quality is ok. What do you guys do to get best quality out for vimeo.

Thanks

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

Start with vimeo 1080p preset then:

Export in 1440p CBR at 90 mbps for 1080p

On 4K export 120 mbps CBR.

This is a 1080p that I upscaled to 1440p for vimeo.

Just to be clear 2,560 x 1,440p oh and really nice video nicely done

Start with vimeo 1080p preset then:Export in 1440p CBR at 90 mbps for 1080p

so, if I have a 4k video file, like from nx1, should I, in the media encoder export:

keep it 4k with 120mbs? Right? Or are you saying to do a 1440p export but at 120mbs?

To get further into this:

Since vimeo now does this accursed AUTO quality setting, and god knows how it assesses that,

if I upload in 4k, and the majority of viewers with see it in AUTO (probably 1080p) , is it better for

1080p viewing quality to:

A) upload in 4k and let vimeo do whatever it does to make it 1080p

B) or upload in in the suggested 1440p settings? Vimeo would then do it's thing to make it 1080p

Thanks for any enlightenment.

BTW, I really hate the new AUTO policy. I complained and vimeo basically told me "tough".

Yes keep it at 4K, I don't even think vimeo accepts 6K uploads anyway. You would be better off just upping the bitrate, but diminishing returns will start really quick. 

There is no advantage to uploading 1080p footage in 4K that I have found. It just wastes space on your account. The 1440p upload vs the 4K upload will be indistinguishable when played back at 1080p.

well I couldn't let this go, so I did so of my own tests.  a 4k video with 120mbs bit rate is recompressed to 22mbs.This is by using the download button in vimeo, A 1440p with 120 is compressed to 12mbs.

Pathetic.I want to know what happens to my uploaded videos on their end. Exactly how it is compressed.

Results using vimeo's own recommendations gave even lower bitrates.

I also investigated what the default AUTO quality(you can no longed decide a default quality) always gave me a 720p version. WTF. I have a powerhouse computer and out of this world connection speeds. What do you need to get high auto quality?

And I'm a vimeo pro for god's sake. I pay them.

If there's something I'm not getting please enlighten. I'm ready to drop vimeo but I've spent a lot of time setting all my portfolios up. It's a major deal to move stuff to youtube.

12 minutes ago, chauncy said:

well I couldn't let this go, so I did so of my own tests.  a 4k video with 120mbs bit rate is recompressed to 22mbs.This is by using the download button in vimeo, A 1440p with 120 is compressed to 12mbs.

Pathetic.I want to know what happens to my uploaded videos on their end. Exactly how it is compressed.

Results using vimeo's own recommendations gave even lower bitrates.

I also investigated what the default AUTO quality(you can no longed decide a default quality) always gave me a 720p version. WTF. I have a powerhouse computer and out of this world connection speeds. What do you need to get high auto quality?

And I'm a vimeo pro for god's sake. I pay them.

If there's something I'm not getting please enlighten. I'm ready to drop vimeo but I've spent a lot of time setting all my portfolios up. It's a major deal to move stuff to youtube.

1) Looks better than the grain, detail, and color killing youtube. 

2) You can download your original files on vimeo, not just the re compressed ones. 

3) To get higher than 720p you have to go fullscreen.

I did not know about the fullscreen 1080p thing. First I've ever heard of it.

I am aware I can download my uploaded file, it's a great cheap backup.

But along with the inane unchangeable default auto, this isn't the way vimeo used to work.

If an uploaded 1080p file was 200mb, as long as the bitrate was within vimeo's guideline, say 20mbs, the download of the 1080 file was 200mb. In this case the download of the original file was also 200mb.

But now the 1080p file is much smaller, well under half the size! Much worse for 2.5k and 4k, that are way smaller. This suggests that the playback in 1080p will be a vastly inferior file to the uploaded one.

These changes happened very recently. It makes me very sad. I hate yolutube, but it doesn't do either of these.

• 1 month later...
On 4/6/2016 at 11:28 AM, Geoff CB said:

- I'm working in PPro CC. When exporting, after selecting Vimeo 1080p, I can not find the way to set 90mbps. Nor will it allow me to select 2560x1440. I can however, select CBR.

What gives?

25 minutes ago, User said:

- I'm working in PPro CC. When exporting, after selecting Vimeo 1080p, I can not find the way to set 90mbps. Nor will it allow me to select 2560x1440. I can however, select CBR.

What gives?

After selecting CBR there should be a slider underneath you can drag to adjust bitrate. For 2560x1440 you need to uncheck the box beside 1920x1080 and manually enter in the numbers.

3 minutes ago, Geoff CB said:

After selecting CBR there should be a slider underneath you can drag to adjust bitrate. For 2560x1440 you need to uncheck the box beside 1920x1080 and manually enter in the numbers.

Hey Geoff, thanks for jumping in.
I unchecked the box beside 1920x1080 but when I tried to enter 2560x1440 PPro wouldn't allow it. I'll give it another shot when the current export is finished but somehow I couldn't make it happen. I'll report back if I still can't swing it. Thanks again.

On 4/6/2016 at 10:28 AM, Geoff CB said:

This is a 1080p that I upscaled to 1440p for vimeo.

So glad that somebody bumped this (being a new member) - a wonderful piece of work all round.