Panasonic GX80 - 5 Axis IBIS works on video!

ntblowz

This looks totally insane. The stab on the video with the 42.5mm looks almost better than on a gimbal. 
The GH5 is going to be insane, same stab but with killer features and 4k60p. My only fear is about the AF, if only it could be on par with a6300 or canon DPAF .
EM1 mark 2 will have 4K (just has been confirmed) But GH5 will be a whole league ahead for video so who cares. 
Can't wait for september. This is going to be the best Photokina ever: Canon 5D IV / EM1 mark 2 / GH5 / Sony A9 / Fuji XT...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, wolf33d said:

This looks totally insane. The stab on the video with the 42.5mm looks almost better than on a gimbal. 
The GH5 is going to be insane, same stab but with killer features and 4k60p. My only fear is about the AF, if only it could be on par with a6300 or canon DPAF .
EM1 mark 2 will have 4K (just has been confirmed) But GH5 will be a whole league ahead for video so who cares. 
Can't wait for september. This is going to be the best Photokina ever: Canon 5D IV / EM1 mark 2 / GH5 / Sony A9 / Fuji XT...

Are you mystic meg all of a sudden? :p

Ciao, grazie! I've only been once before, maybe 7 years ago. Thank god it isn't raining, like I saw it was yesterday. :grin:

nBeHYyR.jpg

And the bare essentials set-up I picked for later on (don't have any filters or anything with me)...

bhhDf4Q.jpg

Panasonic GX80 + Zhongyi Lens Turbo II EF - M43 + K&F Concept CY - EOS adapter + CY Zeiss Distagon 28mm f/2.8 & Olympus 75mm f/1.8

GX80 SKU in Europe:

DMC-GX80 Body-only

• DMC-GX80EB-K (Black UK)
  • DMC-GX80EG-K (Black Germany)
  • DMC-GX80EF-K (Black France)
  • DMC-GX80EB-S (Silver UK)
  • DMC-GX80EG-S (Silver Germany)
  • DMC-GX80EF-S (Silver France)

DMC-GX80 + 12-32mm

• DMC-GX80KEB-K (Black UK)
  • DMC-GX80KEG-T (Black Germany)
  • DMC-GX80KEF-K (Black France)
  • DMC-GX80KEB-S (silver UK)
  • DMC-GX80KEF-S (Silver France)
  • DMC-GX80KEB-T (Tan UK)
  • DMC-GX80KEG-T (Tan Germany)
  • DMC-GX80KEF-T (Tan France)

DMC-GX80 + 14-140mm

• DMC-GX80HEF-K (Black France)
  • DMC-GX80HEG-K (Black Germany)
  • DMC-GX80HEF-S (Silver France)
  • DMC-GX80HEG-S (Silver Germany)

DMC-GX80 + 12-32mm + 35-100mm

• DMC-GX80WEB-K (Black UK)
  • DMC-GX80WEG-K (Black Germany)
  • DMC-GX80WEF-K (Black France)
  • DMC-GX80WEB-S (Silver UK)
  • DMC-GX80WEG-S (Silver Germany)
  • DMC-GX80WEF-S (Silver France)
  • DMC-GX80WEG-T (Tan Germany)
  • DMC-GX80WEF-T (Tan France)

Could help you looking for availability. Not sure if I got every model, though...

Saw some silver models available in Belgium, no brown (tan) models yet.

Just received mine in the mail today (after selling 3 older cameras). I got the body-only model (599 Euros) with the Panasonic 25mm f1.7 (178 Euros). Somehow, I bought the German model in France... whatever. It seems like a good combo so far. I'll have to wait until Friday to post anything UHD, as I don't have a fast enough card. I'm liking the stills so far.

Two packages arrived today :glasses:

DSC00055.jpg

After touching the focus ring I really found out how i missed a real manual focus lens. This fly-by-wire stuff is just not real.

Quick shot @f0.95 using the natural settings from @sgreszcz with film convert applied and some basic corrections:

gx80_1.jpg

The whole cam just feels good. However, I found the white balance settings pretty inaccurate for now. I had to dial in the Kelvin setting for tungsten to get appropriate colors.

1 hour ago, jase said:

Two packages arrived today :glasses:

DSC00055.jpg

After touching the focus ring I really found out how i missed a real manual focus lens. This fly-by-wire stuff is just not real.

Quick shot @f0.95 using the natural settings from @sgreszcz with film convert applied and some basic corrections:

gx80_1.jpg

The whole cam just feels good. However, I found the white balance settings pretty inaccurate for now. I had to dial in the Kelvin setting for tungsten to get appropriate colors.

They are on the G7 too. Auto is better than the presets, but even that runs a little cool. 

The Jon Voigtlander looks bad ass on the GX80. 

How is the IBIS with it?

Just got mine yesterday in Japan (GX7MKII) and LOVE it. It has a bit more moire than my GH4, Stabilisation works very well! It will not replace aany Gimbals, but Dual IS and my Came-TV single are doing a way better job than with my GH4.

There are a lot of new features that I really like too, I hope we will see them on the GH5 too. Now, the most impressive part, for me actually, is that the photos are MUCH better and shaper than my GH4... I am impressed here.

Now a quick question, did any one tested the diffraction compensation on this camera? I am curious if this is something that worth using?

I got mine on Tuesday :) Here are some test shots

Tests of:
1) 1080p to 4k crop
2) Face tracking AF, colour science, colour correction & grade
3) 4k and 1080p rolling shutter
4) Handheld @ 32mm, iDynamic, colour science, colour correction & grade
5) Flare test with difference lenses
(NOTE: 5-axis stabilisation is enabled on all shots)

See video description for download link.

BTW did you know that you can now set Auto ISO in manual stills mode?

6 hours ago, Inazuma said:

I got mine on Tuesday :) Here are some test shots

Tests of:
1) 1080p to 4k crop
2) Face tracking AF, colour science, colour correction & grade
3) 4k and 1080p rolling shutter
4) Handheld @ 32mm, iDynamic, colour science, colour correction & grade
5) Flare test with difference lenses
(NOTE: 5-axis stabilisation is enabled on all shots)

See video description for download link.

BTW did you know that you can now set Auto ISO in manual stills mode?

Very informative, thanks for posting. RS looks pretty good in 4k mode, really good in 1080p. Hopefully some early adopters can compare sharpness and DR to other cameras in 4k and 1080p modes.

The a6300 was a real letdown outside of 4k24p, which is really good IQ-wise, but the RS was a deal breaker for me. I have high hopes for the new Panasonic's.

• Administrators
6 hours ago, jase said:

Anyone found a way to add the MF assist to a function key?

AF focus point selection key does it when you're in manual focus mode or have a manual focus lens attached.

However it first throws up the size of the box to be magnified.

A press of the rear dial inward gives you a direct punch-in.

And by the way, it's very good quality. Refreshing coming from a Sony!

Here is a video of my first weekend out with the GX80.  Yeah, it isn't that artistic, and it features some ducks, but it is the type of stuff I shoot and I think it shows a bit how it performs hand-held run-and-gun.  All the shots were using Natural 0,-3,-4,0 at 4k/25fps except for some of the duck shots that were 1080p/50fps as I was playing with the ETC.

The playground and beach/kite surfer shots were using the Olympus 9-18.  I was kicking myself for not having a telephoto zoom once I saw the surfers out there.  I cropped in once or twice just to see how it would look.

The duck/hospital shots were all using the Panasonic 35-100/2.8.  (Jitter finally gone!)

The pier and park shots were with the Panasonic 12-35/2.8.

I really like the colour and the picture that this camera produces and the skin tones are not all funky like with my LX100 (although I need to do some more testing).  I only adjusted exposure before uploading, but I checked some of the skin tones with a vectorscope and they looked pretty good.  I just used sunny or cloudy white balance when filming.

Screen Shot 2016-05-19 at 21.45.57.png

You can see the stabilisation challenges (wobble) when I was doing more ambitious movements with the 9-18 lens, but I think overall steadiness with the Panasonic OIS zooms, including panning works really good.  I need tai chi training from @fuzzynormal to reproduce what he does with his EM-5.

My Olympus cameras are going on eBay as soon as I finish something I'm working on and I'll probably sell my G7 too as I like the smaller size of the GX80.  I still haven't decided if I'll sell my LX100.  I love the little LX100 zoom lens and it is a great pocket/travel camera but I'm not sure about some of the funky colour.  I think that @Inazuma had a good idea of using the pancake 12-32 zoom with the 20mm/1.7 pancake for travel.  Just not sure how the zoom with work without manual focus. I do use back button AF-S a fair bit - especially when chasing my kids.  This works while recording on the GX80/G7 but not on the LX100.

Thanks sgreszcz, that was really great. I'll be running around with my kid and I appreciate you showing all the wobbles-induced stabilization that I'll have to try and cope with! I was impressed by the stable pannings and by the overall quality that you can squeeze out of this small camera. Good job, most helpful bits of footage about the GX80 that I have seen yet.