Panasonic GX80 - 5 Axis IBIS works on video!

ntblowz

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
11 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Love mine so far... It's all about the stabiliser, leave the tripod at home... It's basically an Olympus E-M5 II with 4K video, none of the Sony menu troubles, decent physical control layout, good EVF and tilt screen.

Great to here... Can we expect a preliminary/full review?

2 hours ago, jase said:

Care to share? ?

It's pick-up only there. Another Viennese: Sobotka might ship though, but they only show stock for body, which is just as expensive in Germany. See Geizhals.eu-link earlier for availability. ;) I'd suggest to keep an eye on https://www.foto-mundus.de/shopware.php?sViewport=detail&sArticle=20144 tomorrow.

-- got it!

Stabilization looks good! Mine's charging away (yeah I'm one of those; first charge, then play (on initial run)).

-- Gotta say, it's a pretty little thing and actually rather comparable to the LX100; hardly any bigger. It has the tilty screen the LX100 should've had in the first place and then of course the interchangeable lens mount (the 12-32mm is a little smaller than the integral unit of the LX100). Dual dial action opposed to the top dedicated top dials on the LX100.

XfjcWyP.jpg

For a moment I forgot the ring on the kitlens was for the zoom and doesn't do much focussing on rotation, lol xD. I've been using too many primes lately, so focus solely relies on the AF with it, which actually does a fair job. And even using the EVF you can touch to focus on the screen which works quite nice. On this rather gloomy rainy day, at this time of day, weather and light doesn't really lend to go out. Fingers crossed tomorrow is a little better. Some messing around already showed decent stabilization; looks a tad bit nervous, might be partially the autofocus, the fact electronic stabilization is off or just my excitement having a new camera that it's hard to control physical exertion. Just one clip though. Image and noise profile looks a lot like the G7 with in the darkest areas hardly any noise, just to come in with some organic grains in the somewhat darker mids. So far, so good.

How is the moire and aliasing in video? A real make or break for me. Also, how loud is the sound from the IBIS? Some reviews have mentioned a humming noise when using stabilization. I wonder if that may have been a reason to not include a mic jack. Force you to record audio externally, and not have to deal with the IBIS noise, but what do I know.  I am waiting for your review Andrew before making the purchase.  

Stoked! Ordering as soon as the kit becomes available in the UK. Im going to use it as a walk-around/family/friends camera. Keeping the kit lens for the wide angle and probably gonna acquire the 20mm f1.7. I've been using the 17mm f1.8 for far too long :) Two pancake lenses means i can always keep one in a jean pocket. Thank god for micro four thirds! 

• Administrators
17 hours ago, Carz1 said:

How is the moire and aliasing in video? A real make or break for me. Also, how loud is the sound from the IBIS? Some reviews have mentioned a humming noise when using stabilization. I wonder if that may have been a reason to not include a mic jack. Force you to record audio externally, and not have to deal with the IBIS noise, but what do I know.  I am waiting for your review Andrew before making the purchase.  

In a quiet room, automatic gain control ramps the gain up so high you can hear a pin drop, so it amplifies the sound of the IBIS operating to a dim hum. Using a proper plugin rode mic or in a normal shooting environment you can't hear it.

8 hours ago, tomastancredi said:

well, PEN F looking great...

This video is great because of what it proves.

The moral of this video:   Image stabilisation IS NOT A FUCKING STEADYCAM!  Stop trying to use it as one. Did any manufacturer ever promote IS by saying how good it is to walk round with? I will be suprised if they have.  Its designed to compensate for involuntary hand shake when you are trying to hold the camera still, thats it.

The added distortion an jittering looks worse than if you just walked around slowly with the camera on monopod.

By the looks of it the GX80 will be excellent for getting 4k static shots with a prime lens without a tripod.  That is great and all that it needs to be.

37 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

In a quiet room, automatic gain control ramps the gain up so high you can hear a pin drop, so it amplifies the sound of the IBIS operating to a dim hum. Using a proper plugin rode mic or in a normal shooting environment you can't hear it.

Wait..this has a socket to plug in a mic?

21 hours ago, Cinegain said:

XfjcWyP.jpg

What's that quick connect strap thingy you have on the GX?

1 hour ago, MattH said:

The moral of this video:   Image stabilisation IS NOT A FUCKING STEADYCAM!  Stop trying to use it as one. Did any manufacturer ever promote IS by saying how good it is to walk round with? I will be suprised if they have.  Its designed to compensate for involuntary hand shake when you are trying to hold the camera still, thats it.

The added distortion an jittering looks worse than if you just walked around slowly with the camera on monopod.

By the looks of it the GX80 will be excellent for getting 4k static shots with a prime lens without a tripod.  That is great and all that it needs to be.

Good points, but I also think one could use their body in a similar fashion you would use a swivel foot monopod to mimick slight slider and tilt movements. But yeah, for the most part it is all about the micro jitters. 

1 hour ago, MattH said:

Too true! IBIS is not for running around and down stairs with unless you want horrifying warping effects. 

However, it's also nice for slow, simple handheld movements. I believe @fuzzynormal uses his Olympus this way with solid results.

On 12 May 2016 at 1:14 PM, Andrew Reid said:

Charging the camera... via USB! Nice.

5 axis IBIS works well with the EF Speed Booster with primes.... Not much luck with zooms or IS lenses yet, maybe Metabones needs to update firmware.

Loving the 4K image so far.

Yeah, no mains charger in my kit, but shares the same battery with the LX100 and Gx7 so no problems there.  The camera is only a little bit bigger than my LX100, and feels solid.

The image looks good, and Hallelujah I think that they finally fixed the jitter with the Panasonic 35-100/2.8 with this camera.  I need to do a formal compare of the 35-100/2.8 on G7/Gx80/E-M5II @200mm equivalent and vs. my LX100 at 70mm equivalent.

On 12 de mayo de 2016 at 2:29 PM, Andrew Reid said:

Love mine so far... It's all about the stabiliser, leave the tripod at home... It's basically an Olympus E-M5 II with 4K video, none of the Sony menu troubles, decent physical control layout, good EVF and tilt screen.

How does the sony stabilization compare to this?