Panasonic GX80 - 5 Axis IBIS works on video!

ntblowz

I just asked Gordon Laing of cameralabs.com about the focus pulling in this test video. It seemed to me that Panasonic is improving their algorithms... not perfect, but better when circumstances are right.

This is what he said:

"Well all the recent Lumix cameras whether MFT or fixed lens, have had DFD-profiling so their Af performance should share similar characteristics, at least where a lens can be driven the same way. But the bottom line is yes under the right situations, the focus pulling is hunting less, although as you'll see in some of my other clips, there can still be hunting visible."

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 9 May 2016 at 9:48 PM, sgreszcz said:

I called a few of the UK camera shops today and it looks like the GX80 ship date has been pushed back until June sometime.

I spoke to Clifton Cameras today and they happened to have a body-only in stock which I should get tomorrow.  I also read on DPreview that someone is having one shipped directly from Panasonic UK as their wife works there, so they are trickling in...  I guess there goes the rumour about them adding a mic input :(

36 minutes ago, sgreszcz said:

I spoke to Clifton Cameras today and they happened to have a body-only in stock which I should get tomorrow.  I also read on DPreview that someone is having one shipped directly from Panasonic UK as their wife works there, so they are trickling in...  I guess there goes the rumour about them adding a mic input :(

Was there any previous case where they actually added something after they had finalized and presented the camera?

I can see In Stock here as well: http://www.ukdigital.co.uk/panasonic-lumix-gx80-body-black.html . According local Cyberport they are expected here on the mainland for tomorrow. Another CEU store claims delivery in 1-2 days, meaning it's probably In Stock with the distributor. Seems Austrian prices for the kit undercut some of the German market ones (like Amazon and Saturn) by 100 EUR. Same happened with the LX100 during the launch period and then rose back up again, might want to be in for one after all. I'm so weak, lol, it's just that I have so many non-IS lenses you know, that it's kinda tempty to already jump on it and not wait out for the GH5, which perhaps will be shipping around Christmas or something (seems so lightyears away right now). I'd kinda rather be outside shooting away with that little thing in summer.

On 03/05/2016 at 2:13 PM, sanveer said:

I spoke about Live Cropping before, and how this is a great way of doing away with almost every kind of dolly shot (Depending upon whether it is 4k, or 5k, or 6k, and whether the final delivery is in HD or 720p). If the GH5 gets 5k, this could improve even further. 

Also, a lot of his shots are handheld (with Dual Stabilization of the lens and camera), and the Live Cropping still looks stellar. 

The tracking shots looks really smooth,  but with the zoom shots everything was shaking/jerking.  I would have said it's posible that the camera was physically skaking but it happens in all the examples.    Maybe stabilisation is activated and the zooming is confusing it, or maybe it just doesn't work that well.  It doesn't look good though.

On May 3, 2016 at 10:13 PM, sanveer said:

this is a great way of doing away with almost every kind of dolly shot 

Mmmm, gotta disagree on that one. If someone envisions that "pan&scan" can emulate dolly shots, then they're not comprehending how or why a dolly shot is visually worthwhile.

Stabilization in a camera is a fun, great tool that offers new potential, (I rely on the Em5II for this purpose) but that (and/or 4K) is not a substitute for effective shooting. 

If you need a dolly shot, to get a good one, you have to move the lens through 3D space. 

5 hours ago, MattH said:

It doesn't look good though.

Haven't used the new Pany cam...but I can say I've seen a lot of lousy examples of EM5II footage, and it looks bad most often because of user error. 

Picked up a GX85 today at Best Buy- they've had them in stock all week! I saw it on their website a few days ago, but assumed it was an error until I called the store and they told me they had two in stock; their website just gave me an error when I tried to order online for pickup.

I'm liking it so far, I think I'm going to return my X-Pro2 I got the other week, I need a proper video camera. I haven't had much of a chance to shoot yet, but I'll post the clips that I have in a bit.

More UK stock, kit this time: http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-panasonic-lumix-dmc-gx80-digtal-camera-with-12-32mm-lens/p1595527 (*out!)

Germany: http://www.mediamarkt.de/de/product/_panasonic-dmc-gx80k-2124390.html (2 units / body only ltd qty) | http://www.saturn.de/de/product/_panasonic-dmc-gx80k-2124390.html (ltd qty) | https://www.fotokoch.de/64086.html (*out!)

5 hours ago, Brian Williams said:

Picked up a GX85 today at Best Buy- they've had them in stock all week! I saw it on their website a few days ago, but assumed it was an error until I called the store and they told me they had two in stock; their website just gave me an error when I tried to order online for pickup.

I'm liking it so far, I think I'm going to return my X-Pro2 I got the other week, I need a proper video camera. I haven't had much of a chance to shoot yet, but I'll post the clips that I have in a bit.

Interesting, I thought the X-Pro2 was supposed to be a 'surprisingly capable Super 35mm cinema machine'... it be interesting to learn if you really do like the GX85 more!

23 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

Interesting, I thought the X-Pro2 was supposed to be a 'surprisingly capable Super 35mm cinema machine'... it be interesting to learn if you really do like the GX85 more!

Well, the lack of a tiltable screen on the X-Pro2 has been more of an annoyance than I'd hoped, especially for video. 4k, while not huge to me (or my 2011 Macbook Pro, which is choking on 4k files at the moment) is a plus, and mostly, of course, the stabilization.

I've loved the photos I've gotten from the X-Pro2, as well as the excitement I get from using it, but the video has been average looking to me, nothing special- and with my only lens, the Fuji 35 2.0, not particularly steady. Maybe if Fuji were to unlock 4k in the camera to fix all the moire I'd reconsider, but I just have a feeling they won't; there's probably more than they've let on, like heat issues.

• Administrators

Thanks to @Cinegain for the heads-up. Tons just arrived in Berlin at the Alexanderplatz Media Markt store for anyone interested. 799 with the kit 12-32.

However they also had one body-only at the other Media Markt for.... 599. Total bargain. These however are in very short supply, so it may be easier just to get the kit and sell the lens.

Remember it's GX85 in the US, GX80 in UK and Europe... not a big fan of those model name changes!

UPDATE: WEX in the UK have the body only in stock for £509 http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-panasonic-lumix-dmc-gx80-digital-camera-body/p1595526

IMG_4742.JPG

IMG_4740.JPG

IMG_4741.JPG

26 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Thanks to @Cinegain for the heads-up. Tons just arrived in Berlin at the Alexanderplatz Media Markt store for anyone interested. 799 with the kit 12-32.

However they also had one body-only at the other Media Markt for.... 599. Total bargain. These however are in very short supply, so it may be easier just to get the kit and sell the lens.

Remember it's GX85 in the US, GX80 in UK and Europe... not a big fan of those model name changes!

UPDATE: WEX in the UK have the body only in stock for £509 http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-panasonic-lumix-dmc-gx80-digital-camera-body/p1595526

IMG_4742.JPG

IMG_4740.JPG

IMG_4741.JPG

Interesting, I didn't know they were selling a body only version. 

Nice!

Saw one store just reporting stock on the body only here as well now. Waiting for the kit though, as it's only 100 EUR more than just the body around here. For that I'm eager to see what that usually GM-paired lens is about. The small form factor is cool, probably will lack a bit performance/character, but you know, an effectively 100 EUR lens, what's there to complain? Might even put those 14mm and 20mm pancakes to good use again. That's just one side of it: having a microsized option to shoot with. Doesn't attract much attention either I'd say; nice and low profile. Although the real cool thing of course is pairing the BIS with cinema primes and boosted adapted glass. It's no GH5, but I gotta assume it's fun.

If you're looking for EU availlability, I usually just check http://geizhals.eu/?fs=gx80&in= . ;)