Panasonic GX80 - 5 Axis IBIS works on video!

ntblowz

1 hour ago, mercer said:

How loud is the IBIS supposed to be?

Back in the day, I had a Pentax K5 and it had IBIS. You could hear it during operation, but somehow the camera suppressed it a little in its mono mic. From what we know about the sound on the gx80/85, it sounds like distant running water... a whirling sort of sound. I don't think we'll really know until it comes out. Maybe, they'll put some software to suppress that frequency in the camera. Panasonic might make us choose between shaky and silent or stable and noisy. Wait and see. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I am buying this cam for runn gun web journalism. Not having a mic forces me to give proper atention to audio recording, not big fan of the zoom h1 though, porbably the juicedlink with a good and small directional mic.  I am not convinced yet about how smooth the 5axis is...
On the stills side every time I see a Pen-F photo it looks like another league.... I keep trying to convice me that new pana stills are almost as good as, say a 7d, but they actually look plasticky while the olympus not so much.... Still, this camera is so small and practical.   I am buying it

9 hours ago, tomastancredi said:

I am buying this cam for runn gun web journalism. Not having a mic forces me to give proper atention to audio recording, not big fan of the zoom h1 though, porbably the juicedlink with a good and small directional mic.  I am not convinced yet about how smooth the 5axis is...
On the stills side every time I see a Pen-F photo it looks like another league.... I keep trying to convice me that new pana stills are almost as good as, say a 7d, but they actually look plasticky while the olympus not so much.... Still, this camera is so small and practical.   I am buying it

All reports on this camera as the one to get for your intended use. I agree the Zoom H1 isn't the greatest, but it's a heck of deal for 100 bucks. I just use it on a boom stand 12-18 inches away or with a lav... seems to work well that way. It's got a cheap build though.

The IBIS in this camera, from what I see from preproduction models, is quite good in static shots replacing a tripod or walking type shots. It removes micro jitters, but it doesn't do well in panning- seems to play catchup when moving a little too much. It might be optimised a little more when the production version is released. Another point is that with movement comes blur... 4k needed? Just saying...

As for the stills, it will do great for my needs. Will it be the best? No. I think other cameras are better, but not leaps and bounds better. I would say single digit percentage better, not new category better. For that, people should be looking at medium format. Also, when was the last time you printed something bigger than A3? We're at a point in photography that the problem with most people's photos is not the camera. I include myself in that category.

I spoke about Live Cropping before, and how this is a great way of doing away with almost every kind of dolly shot (Depending upon whether it is 4k, or 5k, or 6k, and whether the final delivery is in HD or 720p). If the GH5 gets 5k, this could improve even further. 

Also, a lot of his shots are handheld (with Dual Stabilization of the lens and camera), and the Live Cropping still looks stellar. 

15 minutes ago, Phil A said:

I did that with the 4k footage in post because I'm too lazy to bring a slider on vacation. It's great and gets you 80% of the result but you don't get the paralax effect so it's not quite as nice as using a slider.

hahaha. True. But also, all sliders don't have that curved trajectory. Most of them at straight, so that's asking a lot. 

22 minutes ago, sanveer said:

I spoke about Live Cropping before, and how this is a great way of doing away with almost every kind of dolly shot (Depending upon whether it is 4k, or 5k, or 6k, and whether the final delivery is in HD or 720p). If the GH5 gets 5k, this could improve even further. 

Also, a lot of his shots are handheld (with Dual Stabilization of the lens and camera), and the Live Cropping still looks stellar.

That looks pretty good for something in-camera. I'm not sure if I'm going to be that organised to get this type of shot because it seems it needs to be very "pre-planned." And yes, it's missing the paralax, but still I thinks it's a cool creative option... especially the hand-held part.

Yeah... That 4K crop is very cool. My main interest with this camera is for run & gun, guerilla style, short films, so with the 5-axis and this 4K crop, the on set footprint will be so tiny. Since I'll have a shot list the planning of these crop pan, zooms and slides won't be an issue, but it raises a technical question... 

I always convert my 4K footage to 1080p prores before I edit... Since this is a crop and not a downscale, will I notice any visual IQ differences between the downscaled and the cropped clips?

2 hours ago, sanveer said:

hahaha. True. But also, all sliders don't have that curved trajectory. Most of them at straight, so that's asking a lot. 

What this can't do is replicate the movement when you have objects in the foreground because the lens is stationary, so no sliding out from behind objects and such. I think that's what Phil was talking about. 

With IBIS you can do slider like movements and take advantage of the parallax effect and stay in 4k. I don't think I'd ever use the in cam feature, I'd just go handheld for the better visual or do it in post. 

Just my opinion. 

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

Bit of a dilemma. Do I really want it now... or do I just wait for the GH5 and have it all? :grin:

Depends on how much patience and money you have.

GH5 likely double the price and 4-5 months away.

I'd be tempted to have the GX80 in the meantime anyway and sell it when the GH5 comes out.

42 minutes ago, tomastancredi said:

I'm pretty shure they went back to add some mic inputs

One sales manager was mentioning something about the Japanese earthquake, but I like your reason much better...  Rumour has it the sensor is from Sony, and there was some discussion on DPreview about how sharp the image is.

48 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Depends on how much patience and money you have.

GH5 likely double the price and 4-5 months away.

I'd be tempted to have the GX80 in the meantime anyway and sell it when the GH5 comes out.

Infinite of both!

Nah, I wish. Though, I don't care too much, I just like it to make sense, I'm generally not the 'let me get a camera for a few months'-kinda guy. I get something because I'm pretty passionate about it. Can't say that I'm that passionate about the GX80. The BIS is amazeballs, the size, look and feel is almost LX100, which I kinda dig, but it lacks a lot of good stuff as well. But who knows, maybe I get tempted anyways when it's out, I believe it should get stocked in a week or two?

Ahh... I've now sold every camera I own (except a film era k1000) to afford this one. It appears to be the swiss army knife to photography and video making... looks to do everything well (not including sound) and nothing poorly. Apparently, I only need to figure out how to get ahold of one (earthquake rumors). Located in France, does anyone know where one could preorder from a reputable dealer?

2 minutes ago, jase said:

The manual is now online for the curious ones amongst us: https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/dscoi/DMC-GX80/EG_EC_EF_EB/guideENG.pdf

A pitty that Panasonic still sticks to 28mbit @1080p with 60p. Anyone knows if I can the MF assist functionality while recording to punch into the picture in order to nail the focus as the Sony's allow?

Thanks for this information regarding the PDF. I'd looked some time ago, but found nothing. The Sony DMF mode works well. I briefly had a gx7 and it worked in a similar way with magnification. However, I found the peaking to be the best way to operate manual focus without losing the frame. IMO my RX100's peaking wasn't as good as the gx7... got to go; I have a lot of reading to do!