Panasonic GX80 - 5 Axis IBIS works on video!

ntblowz

On April 11, 2016 at 0:23 PM, sanveer said:

I have the Shure LensHopper VP83f (what a bloody long name !!!). It has great audio quality, but it isn't a shotgun mic. My friend and I joke that it has a mysterious pickup pattern, that nobody has been able to solve yet (or that it is a Rode Video Mic X, that actually records in dual mono). :glasses:
The mic on the VP83f is extremely sensitive, and the preamps are very good. I guess, if someone can do sound separation in post, it can be used for recording rainforest kind of documentaries, considering how sensitive the mic is.

Considering that most people who use the Cinelike D, and who push the setting to the minimum (-5), claim that the video starts falling apart in grading, I find that pushing the settings to minimum, in the 'Natural' Profile may be a better option. I am curious, though, to know where else the GX85 has cut corners. It has multi-exposure for photos (the G7 has 4-5, unline the 2 on other cameras). The GX85 also has a lot of them.

I feel, that there is poor coodination between the Marketing Team and Technical Team of Panasonic, and that is one of the reasons may features are not highlighted or advertised. 

Do you think the Shute is worth the $300 price tag?

It's funny, with the G7, I know I can get a cleaner image, with better skin tones but there is just something I like about CineLikeD. The video of showing the ibis is by Martin Wallgren and he seems to get a lot of Panny's preproduction cameras. I follow him on Vimeo and he seems to be a fan of CineLikeD, so hopefully he'll recommend they include it. If not Natural dialed down does have some nice mojo to it. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 hours ago, mercer said:

Do you think the Shute is worth the $300 price tag?

It's funny, with the G7, I know I can get a cleaner image, with better skin tones but there is just something I like about CineLikeD. The video of showing the ibis is by Martin Wallgren and he seems to get a lot of Panny's preproduction cameras. I follow him on Vimeo and he seems to be a fan of CineLikeD, so hopefully he'll recommend they include it. If not Natural dialed down does have some nice mojo to it. 

I bought the Shure for $255. Here, it is either unavailable, or in the $450+ price range. Like I said, if "Dual Mono", and a "very wide pickup pattern" is not an issue with you, you will love the preamps, and the ability to record a backup track (you can save it at 10-15dB lower than the one going into the camera, where cameras have headphone inputs). I hope that helps. 

I didn't realize (/know) that Martin Wallgren had such easy access to Panasonic. Then, maybe, we should All contact him/ troll him, on Facebook and Twitter, and ask him to take it up with Panasonic. I also suspect that the HDMI out is a dud, possibly even worse than the one on the Panasonic G7

I wonder if we should start Another Thread, for the purpose of letting Panasonic know, What they Should add to the GX80/ GX85/ GX7 ii, in terms of Firmware.  

15 hours ago, sanveer said:

I bought the Shure for $255. Here, it is either unavailable, or in the $450+ price range. Like I said, if "Dual Mono", and a "very wide pickup pattern" is not an issue with you, you will love the preamps, and the ability to record a backup track (you can save it at 10-15dB lower than the one going into the camera, where cameras have headphone inputs). I hope that helps. 

I didn't realize (/know) that Martin Wallgren had such easy access to Panasonic. Then, maybe, we should All contact him/ troll him, on Facebook and Twitter, and ask him to take it up with Panasonic. I also suspect that the HDMI out is a dud, possibly even worse than the one on the Panasonic G7

I wonder if we should start Another Thread, for the purpose of letting Panasonic know, What they Should add to the GX80/ GX85/ GX7 ii, in terms of Firmware.  

Yeah, the Shure sounds like a great mic/recorder and it seems like it would be great for foley, but I don't think it's exactly what I'm looking for as a possible audio solution for the GX85.

Yeah, I think Martin Wallgren must have a pretty good relationship with Panasonic because he has tested preproduction models for the FZ300, the GX85 and I think maybe the GX8. In fact, his video with the FZ300...

... Helped me decide to buy one. 

I am really surprised that they included CineLikeD on the FZ300, but it won't be available with the GX85. 

As I tried to say in my last post, but wrote it in too much of a hurry... Even though I know I can get a cleaner image, with better skin tones with the Natural profile, there is just something I like about CineLikeD.

And this is my dilemma. I would love to keep both the G7 and the GX85 (if I get it) but I'm not sure I can afford to have both and I'm not sure I would want an interchangeable lens, Panasonic camera without the CineLikeD profile. 

Decisions, decisions. 

19 hours ago, mercer said:

Yeah, the Shure sounds like a great mic/recorder and it seems like it would be great for foley, but I don't think it's exactly what I'm looking for as a possible audio solution for the GX85.

Yeah, I think Martin Wallgren must have a pretty good relationship with Panasonic because he has tested preproduction models for the FZ300, the GX85 and I think maybe the GX8. In fact, his video with the FZ300...

... Helped me decide to buy one. 

I am really surprised that they included CineLikeD on the FZ300, but it won't be available with the GX85. 

As I tried to say in my last post, but wrote it in too much of a hurry... Even though I know I can get a cleaner image, with better skin tones with the Natural profile, there is just something I like about CineLikeD.

And this is my dilemma. I would love to keep both the G7 and the GX85 (if I get it) but I'm not sure I can afford to have both and I'm not sure I would want an interchangeable lens, Panasonic camera without the CineLikeD profile. 

Decisions, decisions. 

I agree. I think we should make an online petition for having a Log Profile (Cineline D and V) on the GX85.

18 hours ago, sanveer said:

I agree. I think we should make an online petition for having a Log Profile (Cineline D and V) on the GX85.

Cinelike V isn't a log profile.  It's baked in high contrast.  Looks pretty good but the other profiles aren't that much different. 

Cinelike D isn't log either.   Log pushes the shadows and then rates it as a higher iso to try and force you to expose for the highlights.   Im not sure at the moment, but I don't think Cine D has a higher minimum iso does it?  Its basically just a normal profile with the contrast turned way down so that it looks flat.  Doesn't actualy increase the dynamic range.  To me its always seemed pointless to shoot with no contrast and weird tonality, bake it into an 8 bit delivery file, then add the contrast back in in post, usually badly.

Im not saying there is anything wrong with having Cinelike V and D in the camera.  But personally I dont care if they are there.

47 minutes ago, MattH said:

Cinelike V isn't a log profile.  It's baked in high contrast.  Looks pretty good but the other profiles aren't that much different. 

Cinelike D isn't log either.   Log pushes the shadows and then rates it as a higher iso to try and force you to expose for the highlights.   Im not sure at the moment, but I don't think Cine D has a higher minimum iso does it?  Its basically just a normal profile with the contrast turned way down so that it looks flat.  Doesn't actualy increase the dynamic range.  To me its always seemed pointless to shoot with no contrast and weird tonality, bake it into an 8 bit delivery file, then add the contrast back in in post, usually badly.

Im not saying there is anything wrong with having Cinelike V and D in the camera.  But personally I dont care if they are there.

Yes, CineLikeD is not actually a log profile, but it is often described as being log-like... I knew what Sanveer meant. 

2 hours ago, MattH said:

I did too.  I wasn't being pedantic.  I was evolving the conversation.

I don't necessarily need CineLikeD but I also don't like the idea of not having it in case I want to use it. It's not like we're buying a $200 camera. For $800, there's no reason it not being there... Especially since it's probably equivalent to flipping a switch to include it. 

13 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

You can wait until October / November for a 5 axis IBIS GH5 with VLOG and 6K, plus upgraded EVF and body or you can get the bargain GX80 with the older sensor now, either way it's a winner

The GX8 has a more recent sensor. I am guessing the issue with processing may not be with the sensor at all. It may be with the available processing power as well as not stepping on to the market of the higher end cameras.

If that is the case, then the GH5 should concentrate on something like 4k ProRes or 10-bit AVCHD or something on those lines, instead pf moving to 6k. Though 6k would be excellent for post photo and other photography needs.

Also low light can seriously improve on the Panasonics/ M4/3rds. And this again I feel may not be an issue with sensor alone.

Also, from the look of things, the GH5 may be moving more into the $2000 range. Which would, frankly be justifiable. 

I always feel that there is a Huge Gap between the Marketing and Designs' Team at Panasonic. Not sure if this feature is available on other (non-Panasonic) Cameras, but the Panasonic GX80/ 85/ 7ii seem to have upto 7 frame AE Bracketing. That seems pretty amazing. 

"AE bracket3, 5, 7 frames in 1/3, 2/3 or 1 EV Step, Max. ±3 EV, single/burst

Aperture Bracket3, 5 or all positions in 1 EV step". 

(http://www.panasonic.com/uk/consumer/cameras-camcorders/lumix-g-compact-system-cameras/dmc-gx80.html

I wonder if anyone has used it on the G7 (which has 4 or 5), or any other Panasonic Camera, and what was their experience?

19 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

You can wait until October / November for a 5 axis IBIS GH5 with VLOG and 6K, plus upgraded EVF and body or you can get the bargain GX80 with the older sensor now, either way it's a winner

Andrew, is it true your statement ?, 5 axis IBIS GH5 with VLOG and 6K, plus upgraded EVF and body in Oct/Nov ?

21 minutes ago, hijodeibn said:

Andrew, is it true your statement ?, 5 axis IBIS GH5 with VLOG and 6K, plus upgraded EVF and body in Oct/Nov ?

It's just a sum of what GX80, GX8, GH4 and G7 bring to the table. Nothing is known yet and I'm sure we won't know anything until September, the only thing we can do right now is speculate. 

On 4/17/2016 at 11:47 AM, Ivanhurba said:

It's just a sum of what GX80, GX8, GH4 and G7 bring to the table. Nothing is known yet and I'm sure we won't know anything until September, the only thing we can do right now is speculate. 

No evidence of 6K in any of those cameras, or a 10-bit internal codec. And one shouldn't make confident declarations about upcoming products when they're just speculating.

47 minutes ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

No evidence of 6K in any of those cameras, or a 10-bit internal codec. And one shouldn't make confident declarations about upcoming products when they're just speculating.

Even because this can bring some noise to Terra 5K sales, as for instance. And we need those guys to succeed :-)

39 minutes ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

You lost me. How do made up specs "bring noise to" a totally unrelated camera?

No, you've actually lost my post : ) Not on yours but the point your post was addressed to. Speculation (not specs ; ) for wishful thinking specs from the deepest of our dreams doesn't help current reality sales such as I and you want to believe new Kinefinity Terra is able to get.

C'mon @TheRenaissanceMan, speculating is just part of the tradition in a forum, it doesn't matter if it's Andrew who does it, everybody needs to have fun sometimes. Until a couple of hours ago a lot of people were salivating with the idea of a BMPCC2! And related to the GH5 there was a rumor already quoting the 6k, which I consider it unnecessary -although I wouldn't say the same for 4k 50p-; 10bit is a new rumor to me and I doubt Pana will go with that except, maybe, through the HDMI; but after the GX80 5-axis is a must specially with non pana lenses! Give a little better low light performance and plenty of people in this forum will say Sonywhat?