Panasonic GX80 - 5 Axis IBIS works on video!

ntblowz

On 4/10/2016 at 7:01 AM, JazzBox said:

A friend of mine uses his G7 with BlackMagic Video Assist via HDMI and has no problems.

Oh sure... the G7 has clean HDMI-out that can send video to an external monitor and can be recorded by an external recorder.

But as soon as you try to record internally... the HDMI is disabled.  Boooooo  :( 

The BlackMagic Video Assist is nice... but it doesn't record 4K.  I'd have to spend at least $1000 for an Atomos recorder in order to record 4K and monitor externally with a G7.

Or... I'll just wait for the GH5... Panasonic doesn't disable the HDMI port during internal recording on the GH-series.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
29 minutes ago, Michael Scrip said:

The BlackMagic Video Assist is nice... but it doesn't record 4K.  I'd have to spend at least $1000 for an Atomos recorder in order to record 4K and monitor externally with a G7.

I am hoping for a cheaper more compact 4K recording solution next week at NAB.

18 hours ago, GlueFactoryBJJ said:

If Panasonic requires hybrid stabilization to match the EM5-II, then it is a much more expensive solution because it requires the correct Panasonic stabilized lens to give its max benefit.  Sure, I actually have those lenses (12-35mm f/2.8 and 35-100mm f/2.8), but I want to see how good it is just with the IBIS only for use with my non-stabilized primes and other zooms.

How does the stabilisation on your 35-100 work for you in video mode?  Mine sucks (tested on the Gx7 an G7) compared to both the LX100 or EM-5II at equivalent focal lengths.  In fact my 35-100 adds jitter to a shot when I'm relatively hand holding it quite steady.  I've always wanted to know if it is just my copy as I've heard others with the same experiences.  Maybe it will work better with the dual-IS on the Gx80, or I should try another copy of the lens...

2 hours ago, jonpais said:

You don't have a bad copy, the jitters you're seeing have already been well-documented here and elsewhere. Aside from that though, the Vario 35-100 f/2.8 is a beautiful lens - if overpriced and plastic-y feeling.

Thanks, I was actually hoping I had a bad copy as I love the lens for stills as well as on my E-M5 II.  Just would be easier to go out with the 35-100/2.8 on a panasonic body matched up with my LX100.

4 hours ago, sgreszcz said:

Thanks, I was actually hoping I had a bad copy as I love the lens for stills as well as on my E-M5 II.  Just would be easier to go out with the 35-100/2.8 on a panasonic body matched up with my LX100.

Check if the lens is updated with latest firmware, it helps with the issue

8 hours ago, animan said:

Check if the lens is updated with latest firmware, it helps with the issue

8 hours ago, ntblowz said:

Wasn't there an update to fix the micro jittor on 35-100mm?

http://***URL removed***/forums/thread/3789342

The firmware upgrade didn't fix mine, unfortunately.  If it did, I'd probably exclusively use the LX100 and G7 with that lens when out and about.  It would be a great two-camera combo, especially with the 2x ETC (or cropping the 4k) on the G7 to get 24-400 (equivalent) at f1.7-2.8.  I've pre-ordered the Gx80 to see if things improve in the stabilisation department.

• Super Members
25 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

It shouldn't break the deal, as perhaps you don't get 5-axis Dual IS, but you still get 5-axis B.I.S. with anything else... unless some new info has come to light I'm not aware of? Here, read some more: https://www.ephotozine.com/article/panasonic-lumix-gx80-gx85-review-29143 .

If true it sounds great. My store advertises 5 axis with IS lenses and 3 with non IS lenses. Hope they are wrong.

BTW, I cant find where in the article you linked where they confirm 5-axis without an IS lens. Could you point it out?

• Super Members

Panasonic does say it compensates for movement without an OIS lens but they never say straight out "5-Axis without OIS".
So it does some stabilization using the in body 5-axis, but they are not bragging about it, some claim its better than Sony (not very hard to be).
But if its as good with vintage glass as Olympus is unknown or at least no one that has held the camera says so and I would love to get some hard tests on it.

I have no idea, but my guess based on current communication is that the in body stabilization without an OIS will not be as good as Olympus.

This is what Panasonic says,

"The LUMIX GX80/GX85 incorporates the new 5-axis Dual I.S.(Image Stabilizer) for more effective suppression of blur. Combining an O.I.S.(Optical Image Stabilizer, 2-axis) and a B.I.S.(Body Image Stabilizer, 5-axis), the 5-axis Dual I.S. compensates for a larger movement which was conventionally uncontrollable, making it possible to use 4-step slower shutter speed*1. By making the most of both O.I.S and B.I.S., it is highly beneficial not only in wide angle but also in telephoto and in the adverse situations such as at nighttime or in one-hand shooting.

The 5-axis Dual I.S. works in both photo and motion picture recording including 4K video. Panasonic LUMIX G DSLM (Digital Single Lens Mirrorless) Cameras offer a wide variety of digital interchangeable lenses and most of them are going to comply with this 5-axis dual I.S. in LUMIX GX80/GX85** and the B.I.S. compensates for the camera movement even when a lens without O.I.S. is used."

1000-panasonic-lumix-gx80-image-stabilis]

Let's assume the chart is based offa the 400mm being tele and the 0-origin being 0mm. The B.I.S. does as well as optical image stabilization up to round about 100mm it looks like. So the 75mm Olympus without O.I.S. should still be decent. Just about as good as a 75mm which would have had lens stabilization. Will you use wider lenses... say Panasonic's own 14mm or 20mm panackes or adapt something vintage or cinema prime, the body image stabilizer is even going to be more effective than optical image stabilization would. Of course, should you have a lens with optical image stabilizer, then combining the two forces would result in epic stabilization that's unrivaled. But the B.I.S. system itself is 5-axis ('camera image stabilisation (5-axis sensor based)').

x0XQL3H.jpg

On 6-4-2016 at 5:00 PM, Cinegain said:

Yeah, the way they make it sound is that either way it results in 5-axis stabilization, just perhaps not Dual (2-axis O.I.S. correcting two of the same axis as the 5-axis B.I.S.).

The LUMIX GX85 incorporates a new 5-axis Dual I.S. (Image Stabilizer) for more effective suppression of blur. Combining an O.I.S.(Optical Image Stabilizer, 2-axis) and a B.I.S.(Body Image Stabilizer, 5-axis), the 5-axis Dual I.S. compensates for a larger range of movement than ever before.

So yeah... hum. :grin:

How effective it really is for the things we think about using it for, time will have to tell...

Of course, to have some indication, as reported earlier, cablefreak's Instragram has two sample vids with the O.I.S.-lacking Lumix (Leica) 15mm. Btw, that background noise I think is the quite loud humming sound of the 5-axis stabilizer in action.

Andrew, there is some Glitch wrt to Uploading Pics from a Smartphone. I had to use a laptop, just to be able to Upload this Pic.

Anyway, I don't know why people continue to create confusion, when everything is outlined so clearly. Please read and watch everything, and stop misinterpreting things.

And, thanks ntblowz

pana-5axis.jpg