Panasonic GX80 - 5 Axis IBIS works on video!

ntblowz

51 minutes ago, Tony Anastasi said:

* About motion picture recording / 4K Photo recording
- Use a card with SD Speed Class with "Class 4" or higher when recording motion pictures. 
- Use a card with SD Speed Class with "UHS-I UHS Speed Class 3 (U3)" when recording motion pictures with [MP4] in [4K] or [4K PHOTO].
   (SD speed class is the speed standard regarding continuous writing.)
- Recording stops when the continuous recording time exceeds 29 minutes and 59 seconds or the file size exceeds 4GB with [MP4] in [FHD] [HD] [VGA].
- MP4 motion pictures with [MP4] in [4K]:
  - When using an SDHC memory card: You can continue recording without interruption even if the file size exceeds 4 GB, but the motion picture file will be divided and recorded/played back separately.
  - When using an SDXC memory card: You can record a motion picture in a single file.
- When the ambient temperature is high or continuous recording is performed, the camera may stop the recording to protect itself. Wait until the camera cools down.
** For [4K] video output, use an HDMI cable that has the HDMI logo on it, and that is described as"4K compatible".

http://shop.panasonic.com/about-us-latest-news-press-releases/04052016-lumix-gx85.html?tab=press&start=0

--->>> "- When the ambient temperature is high or continuous recording is performed, the camera may stop the recording to protect itself. Wait until the camera cools down."

gave themselves a sony a6300 style 'out' clause :(

Just so readers aren't misled into purchasing expensive SD cards, it probably isn't necessary to buy UHS-I UHS Speed Class 3 cards for shooting 4K. 

32 minutes ago, Tony Anastasi said:

im a private facebook group by max y with about 1700 peeps talking about their a6300. they are coming out with tiny fans and heatsinks, leaving battery doors open ( or cracked off )  and hack'd dummy batteries etc- all sorts of hacks to cool their a6300s down to get 3hr recordings etc.. crazy stuff and their hacks are working.. shouldn't really have to resort to hardware hacks though.. 

I know the first thing I'd like to do to my brand-new $1,000 camera is crack off the battery door. :)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
34 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

Hey Merce,

great find with the Canon lens. Do you have some footage, you would like to share? Really fully covers the 4K image?

cheers, Marty

Hey Panny, I actually did have a video on Vimeo. This is my first day with the G7, and it's ungraded, so bear with me. But between 1:41 to 2:22 you can see some shots with the Canon 12.5mm TV lens. 

8 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Just so readers aren't misled into purchasing expensive SD cards, it probably isn't necessary to buy UHS-I UHS Speed Class 3 cards for shooting 4K. 

Actually I have had my G7 and my FZ300 stop recording with both Transcend UHS-1 Class 3 and with Sony. The Transcend had write speeds of 60MB and the Sony had write speeds of 50MB. I finally bit the bullet and bought the 95 MB Sandisk Pro. 

Could we stay on topic please? There is a thread for the Panasonic G7.This thread is supposed to be about the GX80 and how it will piss off everybody who owns a G7!  

14 minutes ago, mercer said:

Actually I have had my G7 and my FZ300 stop recording with both Transcend UHS-1 Class 3 and with Sony. The Transcend had write speeds of 60MB and the Sony had write speeds of 50MB. I finally bit the bullet and bought the 95 MB Sandisk Pro. 

Are those numbering systems used for SD cards intentionally confusing or what?

10 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Could we stay on topic please? There is a thread for the Panasonic G7.This thread is supposed to be about the GX80 and how it will piss off everybody who owns a G7!  

Are those numbering systems used for SD cards intentionally confusing or what?

Exactly. This particular thread has too many of off-topic discussions happening. 

No worries. My main interest in this camera is its small footprint. With C-Mount lenses, or my Sigma 19mm and 30mm f2.8 lenses, and 5-Axis IBIS, I see this camera, for me, as being the ultimate run & gun tool. With an L-Bracket with the new JuicedLink Little Darling recorder and a Rode Micro, this can become a one man band package for guerilla filmmaking. 

2 minutes ago, mercer said:

No worries. My main interest in this camera is its small footprint. With C-Mount lenses, or my Sigma 19mm and 30mm f2.8 lenses, and 5-Axis IBIS, I see this camera, for me, as being the ultimate run & gun tool. With an L-Bracket with the new JuicedLink Little Darling recorder and a Rode Micro, this can become a one man band package for guerilla filmmaking. 

Thanks Merce for showing that footage! Think it´s related as the small footprint with ibis would make this a very interesting camera due to the combination of size, stabilization and image quality. So my apologies. Would be nice to know, if HDMI out would work for monitoring and if processing is as nice as G7 is supposed to be. Soon we will know.

19 hours ago, mercer said:

Another option is the Shure VP83F shotgun with built-in recorder (and line out + headphone jack).

1 hour ago, 7 Lakes said:

What picture profiles does the GX80/GX85 have? Are there any dedicated/suitable for video recording and something close to the Nikon's flat profiles capabilities?

Thanks.

It does not have CinelikeD, but it does have Natural, as always. I don't know, it seems like most of the usual Panasonic picture profiles can be tweaked to look like the others anyway.  For instance, I noticed with the G7, if you take CineLikeV and lower the contrast to -5, it's basically CineLikeD. Since most people prefer Natural anyway, I am not too worried about it. 

3 minutes ago, sgreszcz said:

Another option is the Shure VP83F shotgun with built-in recorder (and line out + headphone jack).

That's true. I was always interested in that Shure. The reviews seem a little mixed with it though. How have your experiences been? I like the idea of the Little Darling because it is made as a small lavalier recorder, so, since it is so small, it can serve a double duty. 

1 hour ago, mercer said:

It does not have CinelikeD, but it does have Natural, as always. I don't know, it seems like most of the usual Panasonic picture profiles can be tweaked to look like the others anyway.  For instance, I noticed with the G7, if you take CineLikeV and lower the contrast to -5, it's basically CineLikeD. Since most people prefer Natural anyway, I am not too worried about it. 

That's true. I was always interested in that Shure. The reviews seem a little mixed with it though. How have your experiences been? I like the idea of the Little Darling because it is made as a small lavalier recorder, so, since it is so small, it can serve a double duty. 

I have the Shure LensHopper VP83f (what a bloody long name !!!). It has great audio quality, but it isn't a shotgun mic. My friend and I joke that it has a mysterious pickup pattern, that nobody has been able to solve yet (or that it is a Rode Video Mic X, that actually records in dual mono). :glasses:
The mic on the VP83f is extremely sensitive, and the preamps are very good. I guess, if someone can do sound separation in post, it can be used for recording rainforest kind of documentaries, considering how sensitive the mic is.

Considering that most people who use the Cinelike D, and who push the setting to the minimum (-5), claim that the video starts falling apart in grading, I find that pushing the settings to minimum, in the 'Natural' Profile may be a better option. I am curious, though, to know where else the GX85 has cut corners. It has multi-exposure for photos (the G7 has 4-5, unline the 2 on other cameras). The GX85 also has a lot of them.

I feel, that there is poor coodination between the Marketing Team and Technical Team of Panasonic, and that is one of the reasons may features are not highlighted or advertised. 

Is it just me or is anyone else bothered by the fact that the sample in the article is not "In Body Image Stabilization" (i.e. IBIS), but rather Panasonic's "hybrid stabilization" that combines both IBIS and optical image stabilization (OIS) in the lens?  And then the sample video adds in what appears to be an "in body" digital "warp stabilizer".  

While impressive, I would like to see just how good the IBIS ONLY is with either a non-stabilized lens or with a lens that has stabilization turned off for an "apples to apples" comparison with the Olympus EM5MkII.  If Panasonic requires hybrid stabilization to match the EM5-II, then it is a much more expensive solution because it requires the correct Panasonic stabilized lens to give its max benefit.  Sure, I actually have those lenses (12-35mm f/2.8 and 35-100mm f/2.8), but I want to see how good it is just with the IBIS only for use with my non-stabilized primes and other zooms.

Does anyone know if there is a recording limit (e.g. 29:59 min) on this camera?  If so, then, IMO, IBIS is not ready for the GH5 because one of the best benefits of the GH series is its potentially unlimited recording time (at least to the limit of the battery, which appears to be about 3.5+ hours with the GH3/GH4).  I use it all the time for event recording and it would be very problematic for me to lose that functionality.  (Sorry for the brief semi off-topic GH5 reference.)