Panasonic GX80 - 5 Axis IBIS works on video!

ntblowz

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Orangenz said:

Don't know if someone has already mentioned this, but the GX85 is limited to 29 minutes video recording time (euro tax law). The GX80 is not limited to that european tax grab, only the battery life limiting which apparently gives it another 10 min up to about 40min in 4k. 

Hope so. It's listed as "GX80" in the UK though, where the euro tax law also applies. So I assume it is more a PAL / NTSC region distinction.

GX85 seems to be a German thing. They are weird.

It is also G70 and TZ101 instead of TZ100. Very confusing for the customer I think.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 hours ago, Michael Scrip said:

Same here.

The G7 is almost an impulse buy at only $600 right now at B&H... except I really want (need) to monitor via HDMI while shooting video.

Shooting 4K internally is great... but checking focus on a 3" screen isn't.   :( 

A question to all... has anyone tried using a G7 with Panasonic's iPad app? I wonder if the image is good enough for monitoring.

A friend of mine uses his G7 with BlackMagic Video Assist via HDMI and has no problems.

I noticed some curious facts while going through information on the GX 85 online:

1. The Olympus compensates for upto 4 stops of shake (http://***URL removed***/reviews/bang-for-the-buck-olympus-om-d-e-m10-ii-review).
The Panasonic compensates for 4.5 stops (http://***URL removed***/news/1947970008/panasonic-lumix-dmc-gx85-offers-16mp-sensor-with-no-aa-filter-and-redesigned-shutter-mechanism. Even in the video posted, in some frames the Panasonic looks more steady, and in some the Olympus. Also, a lot of testers of the GX8, found no difference using the lens stabilization on the GX8, as opposed to only body, or vice versa, especially for stills. So, this is like Olympus' 5-axis, rather than the GX8.

Correction: In the Olympus models they vary, in the EM5 and the EM1s they compensate for 5 stops of shake as well. 

2. The Olympus is unable to handle anything more than 1080p, for many reasons. The Panasonic does 4k, but it will overheat (I read it in one of the forums, though I think they read the literature on the Sony, than the Panasonic, since how can the Panasonic literature come out, before the camera does). I am guessing it may have a 30 min limit, also to do with overheating (I hope I am wrong). But, I doubt it will be anywhere near the unbelievably low shoot timings on the A6300 or others.

3. A lot of the photos from the GX85 posted online are quite over-saturated (some even suspiciously look like they have been made to look this, in post). I could be wrong, but I am  guessing the removal of the AI filter along with the new shutter mechanism, has improved the quality of pics by more than 10% (more like 15-20%). This could sound disastrous for Panasonic buyers, especially of the GX8 and G7, who could be up in arms. So Panasonic is downplaying this. The good part is almost no reviewer worth his salt (or his credibility in Google AdSense or whatever other manner of measure) will be able to test this with clinical precision (without getting a horde of users and viewers abusing him and dismissing his credibility).

4. This is also the reason that Log Profiles and other Pro features have been disabled. I am guessing, they will have a Dud HDMI port (which will only play back on TVs via the HDMI-in or something), as the cherry on the cake, since they already removed the under $5 needed to put a mic jack.

But, regardless of everything, for $799 this is a superb deal, especially since it comes with a great kit lens.

I wish the Magic Lantern guys would just hack the Panasonics (G7, GX8, GX7, GX85) instead of the Canons, and give things like Log Profiles and 10-bit via HDMI internal. Sell it via an App on the App Stores, or paid via PayPal downloads. I can't think of why someone would not wanna pay for it. I know a lot of people paid Vitaly for hacking the GH2. 

7 hours ago, BrorSvensson said:

well the jvc-ls300 is pretty much that.

The JVC LS300 is a pretty good camera and surprised a lot of people with its IQ, even more after the firmware update but that's not quite what I would expect of a Panasonic version of the FS5, but using the S35 sensor is certainly a HUGE tip of what Panasonic should try.

8 hours ago, theSUBVERSIVE said:

Drum roll for the GH5.

Can't Panasonic make their version of the FS5/FS7 as well?

Other than interchangeable lenses, the dvx200 looks quite a bit more impressive than people give it credit for

Can we stay on topic please?

4 hours ago, sanveer said:

A lot of the photos from the GX85 posted online are quite over-saturated (some even suspiciously look like they have been made to look this, in post). I could be wrong, but I am  guessing the removal of the AI filter along with the new shutter mechanism, has improved the quality of pics by more than 10% (more like 15-20%). This could sound disastrous for Panasonic buyers, especially of the GX8 and G7, who could be up in arms. So Panasonic is downplaying this. The good part is almost no reviewer worth his salt (or his credibility in Google AdSense or whatever other manner of measure) will be able to test this with clinical precision (without getting a horde of users and viewers abusing him and dismissing his credibility).

I'm not sure I follow, Sanveer. How would an improvement in image quality in a new camera be disastrous for those who purchased the GX8 or G7? In what way is Panasonic downplaying the improvement in image quality? And why can't reviewers measure the improvement in image quality without losing their credibility?

@sanveer

"2. The Olympus is unable to handle anything more than 1080p, for many reasons. The Panasonic does 4k, but it will overheat (I read it in one of the forums, though I think they read the literature on the Sony, than the Panasonic, since how can the Panasonic literature come out, before the camera does). I am guessing it may have a 30 min limit, also to do with overheating (I hope I am wrong). But, I doubt it will be anywhere near the unbelievably low shoot timings in the a6300 or others."

This is my biggest concern. I am ready to buy this camera once there is some confirmation on overheating. If it can last 30 minutes, then my short takes won't be an issue. I have been shooting a little 5-axis with the FZ300 in 1080p mode and it gets warm but not hot. Hopefully, the GX85 4K will fare as well.

3 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Why would overheating be a concern? Have any previous Panasonic cameras suffered from overheating?

Hopefully their track record will continue. But since this is the first camera to offer 4K with 5-Axis IBIS in such a small form factor, I feel concern is duly noted. 

* About motion picture recording / 4K Photo recording
- Use a card with SD Speed Class with "Class 4" or higher when recording motion pictures. 
- Use a card with SD Speed Class with "UHS-I UHS Speed Class 3 (U3)" when recording motion pictures with [MP4] in [4K] or [4K PHOTO].
   (SD speed class is the speed standard regarding continuous writing.)
- Recording stops when the continuous recording time exceeds 29 minutes and 59 seconds or the file size exceeds 4GB with [MP4] in [FHD] [HD] [VGA].
- MP4 motion pictures with [MP4] in [4K]:
  - When using an SDHC memory card: You can continue recording without interruption even if the file size exceeds 4 GB, but the motion picture file will be divided and recorded/played back separately.
  - When using an SDXC memory card: You can record a motion picture in a single file.
- When the ambient temperature is high or continuous recording is performed, the camera may stop the recording to protect itself. Wait until the camera cools down.
** For [4K] video output, use an HDMI cable that has the HDMI logo on it, and that is described as"4K compatible".

http://shop.panasonic.com/about-us-latest-news-press-releases/04052016-lumix-gx85.html?tab=press&start=0

--->>> "- When the ambient temperature is high or continuous recording is performed, the camera may stop the recording to protect itself. Wait until the camera cools down."

gave themselves a sony a6300 style 'out' clause :(

8 minutes ago, Tony Anastasi said:

* About motion picture recording / 4K Photo recording
- Use a card with SD Speed Class with "Class 4" or higher when recording motion pictures. 
- Use a card with SD Speed Class with "UHS-I UHS Speed Class 3 (U3)" when recording motion pictures with [MP4] in [4K] or [4K PHOTO].
   (SD speed class is the speed standard regarding continuous writing.)
- Recording stops when the continuous recording time exceeds 29 minutes and 59 seconds or the file size exceeds 4GB with [MP4] in [FHD] [HD] [VGA].
- MP4 motion pictures with [MP4] in [4K]:
  - When using an SDHC memory card: You can continue recording without interruption even if the file size exceeds 4 GB, but the motion picture file will be divided and recorded/played back separately.
  - When using an SDXC memory card: You can record a motion picture in a single file.
- When the ambient temperature is high or continuous recording is performed, the camera may stop the recording to protect itself. Wait until the camera cools down.
** For [4K] video output, use an HDMI cable that has the HDMI logo on it, and that is described as"4K compatible".

http://shop.panasonic.com/about-us-latest-news-press-releases/04052016-lumix-gx85.html?tab=press&start=0

--->>> "- When the ambient temperature is high or continuous recording is performed, the camera may stop the recording to protect itself. Wait until the camera cools down."

gave themselves a sony a6300 style 'out' clause :(

Every manual says that. 

''The LUMIX GX85 also enables 4K Live Cropping in video that yields stable panning or zooming while video recording. In panning shots, you can just set the viewing angle to start and end to get smooth panning imagery without using special equipment such as a slider. When zooming, you can set the after-zoomed viewing angle first, so that the subject can fit perfectly in the frame. Thanks to the digital operation, the imagery of zooming is smooth because it does not physically move the zoom lens."

now when they talk about this, i assume they are talking in 1080p recording mode ? not one of the reviewers i've read have so far touched on this bit yet...

Just now, Tony Anastasi said:

''The LUMIX GX85 also enables 4K Live Cropping in video that yields stable panning or zooming while video recording. In panning shots, you can just set the viewing angle to start and end to get smooth panning imagery without using special equipment such as a slider. When zooming, you can set the after-zoomed viewing angle first, so that the subject can fit perfectly in the frame. Thanks to the digital operation, the imagery of zooming is smooth because it does not physically move the zoom lens."

now when they talk about this, i assume they are talking in 1080p recording mode ? not one of the reviewers i've read have so far touched on this bit yet...

Yeah the DPReview "Mighty but small," review touches on it a bit. And yes it uses the 4K image to do this for 1080p.

1 hour ago, jonpais said:

Can we stay on topic please?

I'm not sure I follow, Sanveer. How would an improvement in image quality in a new camera be disastrous for those who purchased the GX8 or G7? In what way is Panasonic downplaying the improvement in image quality? And why can't reviewers measure the improvement in image quality without losing their credibility?

Noticeably Better Image. Stabilized Video has already put the video above (G7 and GX8) them in terms of stabilization. Shutter shock along with removal of the AI filter has improved the image Considerably. People who buy the 16MP cameras may feel short changed (especially if they bought the camera recently), and people who bought the GX8 will wonder if the 4 MP is really such a noticeable difference. 

Theoretically, this should also show a (very) slight improvement in video.

All reviewers are trashed regardless. Whether they were the Zacuto Shootout guys, or the DXO Marks labs guys, or the guys art Cinema5D. The only ones spared are the half blind guys, who have been in the business for almost a century or more. I guess, by then people don't really doubt your credibility. Or they don't care for your opinions.

now when they talk about this, i assume they are talking in 1080p recording mode ? not one of the reviewers i've read have so far touched on this bit yet..

I read about this feature. It is similar to the one on the Sonys. A few other cameras have this too (JVC etc). It's the equivalent of having a zoom lens, while physically have a prime lens. hehehe

Why would overheating be a concern? Have any previous Panasonic cameras suffered from overheating?

I doubt whether it will have heat issues like Sony, but maybe it can do 20-30 mins without automatically shutting down (the Sonys actually cannot take more than 5 mins of short takes, over a 30 mins period, before they shut down, according to the various reviews). 

2 minutes ago, mercer said:

Yeah the DPReview "Mighty but small," review touches on it a bit. And yes it uses the 4K image to do this for 1080p.

cool, that's pretty much the only reason i have really for shooting in 4k mode.. so that means.. but you got to plan ahead for the shot to do this.. 
I won't be able to use it to face track and automatically follow a presenter on stage and keep him in a tight frame by face tracking :(
i use coremelt'd fcpx trackerX plugin so i don't have to manually do this for three hours hehe maybe a few years before they combine facetracking and this crop incamera auto zoom stuff together haha

On 6.4.2016 at 0:30 AM, mercer said:

With my G7, I have been able to get full coverage with a 12.5mm f1.4 Canon TV lens and near full coverage with my Cosmicar 12.5mm f1.9.

Hey Merce,

great find with the Canon lens. Do you have some footage, you would like to share? Really fully covers the 4K image?

cheers, Marty

7 minutes ago, sanveer said:

. (the Sonys actually cannot take more than 5 mins of short takes, over a 30 mins period, before they shut down, according to the various reviews). 

im a private facebook group by max y with about 1700 peeps talking about their a6300. they are coming out with tiny fans and heatsinks, leaving battery doors open ( or cracked off )  and hack'd dummy batteries etc- all sorts of hacks to cool their a6300s down to get 3hr recordings etc.. crazy stuff and their hacks are working.. shouldn't really have to resort to hardware hacks though.. 

22 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

Hey Merce,

great find with the Canon lens. Do you have some footage, you would like to share? Really fully covers the 4K image?

cheers, Marty

Hey Marty, yup it fully covers it and it's IQ is amazing. I do have some footage confirming it, I'll post something tomorrow when I'm at my computer. 

30 minutes ago, sanveer said:

Noticeably Better Image. Stabilized Video has already put the video above (G7 and GX8) them in terms of stabilization. Shutter shock along with removal of the AI filter has improved the image Considerably. People who buy the 16MP cameras may feel short changed (especially if they bought the camera recently), and people who bought the GX8 will wonder if the 4 MP is really such a noticeable difference. 

Theoretically, this should also show a (very) slight improvement in video.

All reviewers are trashed regardless. Whether they were the Zacuto Shootout guys, or the DXO Marks labs guys, or the guys art Cinema5D. The only ones spared are the half blind guys, who have been in the business for almost a century or more. I guess, by then people don't really doubt your credibility. Or they don't care for your opinions.

This explanation is even more confusing than your original post. I would imagine purchasers of any electronic goods feel a little upset when a newer product is released shortly afterward. So what is the point? I still fail to understand this business about reviewers being trashed. Trashed by whom? For what?

And I'm sure we'll learn very shortly from reviewers if there are any overheating issues. I predict within the week. :)

23 minutes ago, Tony Anastasi said:

im a private facebook group by max y with about 1700 peeps talking about their a6300. they are coming out with tiny fans and heatsinks, leaving battery doors open ( or cracked off )  and hack'd dummy batteries etc- all sorts of hacks to cool their a6300s down to get 3hr recordings etc.. crazy stuff and their hacks are working.. shouldn't really have to resort to hardware hacks though.. 

Whoa !!! If the Panasonic GX85 can do 3 hours of continuous recording, that would be a record. I saw that small fan to be attached to the Sony A6300. It looked crazy, but, apparently, it works. hehehe