Sony RX100: Getting the best video out of it...

Bruno

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I think this should be the worse it gets, I don't usually see ISO noise tests in highlights, or at least not that I remember.

They would probably need to be done on highlights right before they blow up completely, no point doing it for overexposed burnt out white areas of the image, as those will probably show no noise at all.

Noise is usually a problem in underexposed areas, not so much in properly exposed or overexposed ones.

I took a video of a dawn sky today - one in Shutter priority, in Portrait profile and custom settings - usually looks the best from my own tests

And another video in Superior Auto mode.

The SAM video look way better - not sure what the RX100 is doing, but the whole scene was better lit....

I have DRO on 2 in my custom settings, so it's not that :)

I'll post a  comparison later

I took a video of a dawn sky today - one in Shutter priority, in Portrait profile and custom settings - usually looks the best from my own tests

And another video in Superior Auto mode.

The SAM video look way better - not sure what the RX100 is doing, but the whole scene was better lit....

I have DRO on 2 in my custom settings, so it's not that :)

I'll post a  comparison later

That'd be interesting to see...

Is it just me or the NR High setting actually results in more grainy video ? I tested this at ISO 1600. Can anyone confirm this ?

And about 50i 24 setting, I've run some tests, and the video shot at 50i is more clean, not by much but it is visible. However, at least on my RX100 this settings gives me weird looking video, any motion has some kind of staccato effect or how's called. Played on OS X on Movist, Quicktime, VLC. Playd on Windows Media Player. Played on Windows Media Center trough a Full HD LED TV at 50Hz. Loaded in Premiere CS 6, export to progressive 25p quicktime mov but still, motion looks weird to me. The motion is not fluid, everything moving looks like it's leaving trails or something. The 50p settings looks soooo smooth.

Could be because of the interlaced file, have you tried de interlacing first?
Could also be the shutter speed you're using.
50p will definitely look smoother, but not necessarily more cinematic.

As for the NR features, I don't use them, I'd rather do it in post if I really need it than have damaged footage because of it.

Yeah, does it even do anything when shooting videos?

Well it does something - the backlight icon flashed when I was shooting the dawn sky

Still haven't gotten around to doing the videos, but here are some screen caps

SAM top - they sure look different, taken 1minute apart

20INRmG.jpg

I haven't tried it on videos yet, but even for stills, I think it's only useful for non moving subjects.

What it does is it takes a burst of images and blends them all together, so if your subjects are moving the image gets blurred/ghosted.

It takes a while to save the stills like this, so I don't think it would do exactly the same in video mode.

Will need to do some tests, but maybe all it does when shooting videos in SAM is use different settings?

I'm out of the club, I sold mine! Lack of low-light performance when not at full wide angle amd the destructiveness of AVCHD at low bitrate and high ISO, didn't suit my dark style! ;) Til next time!

I suppose in the end I just wasn't feeling it, despite the great stats. I'll miss the tiny size and SteadyShot most.

On reflection too, when watching back my footage I had the same reaction as GH2 when it was cut together with Canon, yes it's sharper, but it feels a bit more... electronic... especially with people in the frame Call me fussy...

I know what you mean, it feels too fiddly and fragile when compared to a Canon brick, but with the RX100 I'm taking pictures again, it's always with me, and the 7D always stayed home, except for planned shoots.

The Canon image does have its special something though, regardless of soft image, alias, and whatever everybody keeps bitching about, there's a reason why most people keep choosing them over anything else out there. I have my hopes on the 7DmkII, even though the 5dmk3 upgrade could be awesome if they want it to...

I did get used to setting it fast with custom assigns, and I always felt it was reasonably solid, (though the battery door was annoying) but in the end the image matters most... I can shoot 85mm 1.4 at ISO3200 with a Canon and Magic Lantern, and get a clean image.

It was good for holidays though and run and gun in daylight, but that's not my main use (as you can see from my web site.)