Canon 80D video quality still atrocious

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Looks great... It is easy to feel hard done by, but Canon know their market... Their market is not narrative filmmakers on a shoe string budget. The youtube crowd will eat this up.

PS - hard to tell on that video, but the DR looks quite good... Is it holding the sky highlights outside, or is that a trick of the light?

3 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Speaking of nifty functions for vloggers.

Hahahaha. Very likely. The mirrrorless gang (read Panasonic) has had it for years. Thus guy woke up recent. The legend of rip van winkle is a True story.

hahahahahahahahahaha

• Super Members
4 minutes ago, sanveer said:

Hahahaha. Very likely. The mirrrorless gang (read Panasonic) has had it for years. Thus guy woke up recent. The legend of rip van winkle is a True story.

hahahahahahahahahaha

Ok I ask again,

Dual pixel phase detection?

I might not remember correctly but didnt the gh3 loose picture on the smartphone as soon as you hit record?

6 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Ok I ask again,

Dual pixel phase detection?

I might not remember correctly but didnt the gh3 loose picture on the smartphone as soon as you hit record?

Not dual pixel. The guy in the video is amazed that he can chose focus spots from the tablet/ phablet.

Also, I could be wrong, but Dual Pixel, (for video,) more than being a thing about focus pixels with each light pixel, is actually about smoother gradations. Canon handles that really well. It doesn't suddenly jump. And, obviously hunting issues are not there (or extremely mild). 

• Super Members
7 minutes ago, sanveer said:

Not dual pixel. The guy in the video is amazed that he can chose focus spots from the tablet/ phablet.

The guy in the video isn't just some guy. He knows damn well what it is he is testing and he is very clear on pointing out that it is the dual pixel AF that he is testing.

So again, what Panasonic camera has had dual pixel phase detection auto focus that can be pushed controlled on a smartphone without loosing image while recording for years? 
None is the answer, it was rhetorical but might as well be clear :)

• Administrators

It's always a balance between convenience and image quality.

I'd love every camera to have the great colour science, AF and ergonomic simplicity of a Canon.

However I'd love every affordable Canon camera to have decent image quality compared to the 4K competition, something they lack.

We'll get there one day.

3 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

The guy in the video isn't just some guy. He knows damn well what it is he is testing and he is very clear on pointing out that it is the dual pixel AF that he is testing.

So again, what Panasonic camera has had dual pixel phase detection auto focus that can be pushed controlled on a smartphone without loosing image while recording for years? 
None is the answer, it was rhetorical but might as well be clear :)

No, it's quite clear in the video that he's amazed he can change the focus point on the tablet while recording...which I've done on my GH3 while recording many times. No, it does not have Dual Pixel, so there is a bit of hunting; however, on the G7, there's an option for something called "snap focus," where you save two different focus points and can switch instantly between them while recording. Zero hunting. And it can be activated via mobile device, just like this. 

I'm not denying the 80D is a good choice for bloggers and the like, but let's not pretend some of these new features haven't been around on competitors' cameras for years.

12 minutes ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

No, it's quite clear in the video that he's amazed he can change the focus point on the tablet while recording...which I've done on my GH3 while recording many times. No, it does not have Dual Pixel, so there is a bit of hunting; however, on the G7, there's an option for something called "snap focus," where you save two different focus points and can switch instantly between them while recording. Zero hunting. And it can be activated via mobile device, just like this. 

I'm not denying the 80D is a good choice for bloggers and the like, but let's not pretend some of these new features haven't been around on competitors' cameras for years.

Nothing exists until Canon does it.

2 hours ago, theraywong said:

I really enjoy reading these forum exchanges! Keep up the good work everyone, especially Andrew! I mean this with no irony at all, by the way, I really do enjoy the exchanges - is there something wrong with me?

No there's nothing wrong with you, i'm LMAO most of the time!

Its a shame sarcasm doesn't really translate online...

But seriously, this function is an idiot's wet dream, it beats 4k 8bit recording technology hands down.

7 hours ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

But that works for every consumer product. Apple consistently has new features that have been around for years. Everything has been around for years somewhere, in different iterations and versions.