Canon 80D video quality still atrocious

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 01/04/2016 at 1:27 PM, Jimmy said:

Oh, you've found a setting that disables the WB being completely screwed? Please share

It's the same setting you use on canons so you can shoot their famous fleshtones in front of the goldengate bridge and not have it turn orange.

20 hours ago, BrorSvensson said:

Hello,

Sorry i don t understand the comparison !

I look at the video one, two , many times and for me the canon 80 footage is clearly better ! The canon footage is at right ??? And 6300 at left in the video ? Because in the still image they seem to be inverted ?

Thanks for yourprecisions.

15 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

It always amazes me how far people are willing to go to defend Canon's performance.

And yes I am sure it will be a hit with YouTubers for selfies

Not really what EOSHD is about though...

Sounds like you're rushing to judgement. I also wished Canon offered more in their cameras and did not hold back important video features to protect their C line, but they still deserve a real and unbiased review. Frankly, I could not understand what you loved so much about the  Fuji you recently reviewed?

13 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

It always amazes me how far people are willing to go to defend Canon's performance.

Not really what EOSHD is about though...

My first DSLR was a Canon 60d and I loved it because it was quite revolutionary at the time. Filming video with a DSLR certainly had this very new, exciting feel to it. 

I'd be pretty annoyed if they haven't improved video quality since, however us EOSHD readers know where else to look. 

I think for it's target market it's just fine though. Not the camera for people who need very high performance video features and images. 

16 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Some of the vloggers on youtube are creating some really beautiful content. Some of the travel vlogging is exceptional.

I'm not defending Canon's clear disinterest in the low priced video market... I just don't get why people cry so much... Just go get a Sony.

34 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

Some of the vloggers on youtube are creating some really beautiful content. Some of the travel vlogging is exceptional.

I'm not defending Canon's clear disinterest in the low priced video market... I just don't get why people cry so much... Just go get a Sony.

Maybe because it's a shame that you can have amazing files with 5DkIII and ML (and EOS mount) and they still ignore this... 

48 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

The conundrum is much bigger. Canon is awesome, we love Canon. I heard that at NAB 2016 they'll bring a huge cake that will be distribute for free to commemorate their 13th consecutive year has marketshare holders.   

• Administrators
55 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

1300 euros is low priced video market?

Maybe compared to the professional market.

It's not low priced for the customers the 80D is aimed at though.

I wanted to use Dual Pixel AF... They have ruined it.

sorry for my question, I don't want to defend canon, I don't understand the comparison. In the videos, I see all images sharper with 80D -> please, tell me if the labels are inverted ?  because in the still image posted under, the canon is shown at left and in the video, at right. The lemon is sharper, the leaves, etc... I don't thin it is a subjective thought, or it is possible that I don't see the good details. 

I see also a big difference on the depth of field (due to lens?).

for example, at 1:32, difficult to say that sony is sharper ? or I don't know how to compare precisely.

idem in the footage of the lemons ?

I'm a little bit confused... Andrew say he have no reason to test the camera due to the very poor video quality... But a lot of users here are writing that is not so bad, someone say like 5DII/III  ??  The YouTube test is to much compressed to look at it. 

3 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

1300 euros is low priced video market?

Maybe compared to the professional market.

It's not low priced for the customers the 80D is aimed at though.

I wanted to use Dual Pixel AF... They have ruined it.

Works fine in the 1DX Mkii.

It is almost as if the entire industry is in collusion, and will not offer new features to dominate the market.  My perfect hybrid of all the manufacturers would include:

- Full frame and S35
- Sony's FE/E mount for universal lens adaptability
- Sony's low light capabilities and DR
- Touch screen and/or joystick for focus point selection
- Panasonic's codec efficiency
- Olympus's IBIS
- Canon's color science and Dual Pixel AF
- Canon or Nikon user interface, reliability, and battery life

So far, most manufacturers offer a mix of about 3 of these items from the list.  The NX1 seems to have checked most.

• Administrators

Chris says in this video the 80D is better.

I had to squint very hard to see it.

It's a bit like squinting at the bottom of a football league table.

I'd rather look at the top.

Canon are ripping you off guys... Panasonic G7 walks all over it for video and it's less than half the price.

Weirdly enough, it looks like the biggest improvement might actually in the white balance. The 70D footage seems to have this murky greenish look to it, whereas the 80D's whites are a lot more crisp.

Then again, there were one or two spots where it looked like the 80D was actually worse in terms of aliasing than the 70D... though that might just be YouTube's encoding at work.

11 hours ago, DBounce said:

Yes, it can be fixed in post, but what if you don't have time for that?

Develop your own Picture Profile... you know, the exact purpose for Picture Profiles?

I don't really understand how it was so acceptable to tweak your Picture Profiles on a Canon to get the look you wanted, but on a Sony it's a reason that a Sony camera is terrible?

Shooting flat on a 5D became the defacto standard so that you could get the best DR and colour range. But now, if you don't shoot flat (or in one of the many designated Cine gamma modes) and you happen to get different colours than a Canon (remembering that they're two different companies and the colours you get out of an A7s are really not all that different to any other Sony on the market), it's an awful, unusable camera...

Nikon have different colours to Canon too..

14 hours ago, jax_rox said:

It's super trendy at the moment to bash, or be 'disappointed with' Sony colour, but it's really not an issue.

It's not trendy… Sony is considered the spec front runner, but people purchasing the cameras are constantly disappointed with the colors.

Color is so important, how is inferior color not an issue? I'm not saying everyone should go run and buy t2i, but the 1DXmkii is going to put all of the Sony DSLRs to shame. 

Below is what I see so often. The entire scene looks sickly. A C300 in that scenario would look beautiful, right out of the camera...

Sony.png