Canon 80D video quality still atrocious

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
33 minutes ago, Ebrahim Saadawi said:

That's weird. They didn't even give it the 7DII video quality (5DIII softness with zero aliasing/moire)? Does is moire colourefully like the 70D/550D? I'd like to see the results 

the video is very similar to eos m3 and t6i with the new 24mp sensor.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi
12 minutes ago, BrorSvensson said:

the video is very similar to eos m3 and t6i with the new 24mp sensor.

They do good HD video but aliasing/moire is really unacceptable for the 80D

These Canon 'hate rants' have to be for traffic right? Meanwhile the 6300 overheats and is useless for production work. there is no perfect camera. 

I got my 80D on Tuesday and just finished my first shoot with. It looks great. No, it's not an FS7 (we have one of those in the office). But for the price and reliability it's fine. I've produced about 150+ videos with my 70D since its launch and will no doubt go on to do the same with this 80D. 

Hi all! I just sold my Sony A7s to buy the Canon 80D, which was delivered today. Well, the video is not that detailed, I admit, but fortunately there is NO moire at all, and only a bit of antialiasing, not very noticeable at all. Much better than 5Dm3, beats it hands down. The autofocus is just marvelous, a real (!!!) joy to use. There is no DSLR currently, which could compete with that. A must have for interviews. (That was partly the reason why I sold my A7s.) It is just fantastic really, almost as quick as my XA10. I should do some more tests, but so far, so good, even for professional work. (I am working for a national television channel.)

Actually from the first video posted in this thread I way prefer the image of the 80D over the A6300. 
Maybe they shot the A6300 in FHD but still the image of the 80D is far from bad.

Not having 4K and full video spec on this camera is non excusable though and if Canon does not put 4K with Dual AF and CLOG in the 5DIV they can go to hell and stay there forever.

It's funny, because 99% of people that buy this camera wont give a dry piss about video quality.

Because they're buying it for shooting stills.

Because it's a stills camera, not a video camera.

That people buy for stills.

Because it's not a video camera.

How many times does this bear repeating?

• Administrators
19 minutes ago, bertzie said:

It's funny, because 99% of people that buy this camera wont give a dry piss about video quality.

Because they're buying it for shooting stills.

Because it's a stills camera, not a video camera.

That people buy for stills.

Because it's not a video camera.

How many times does this bear repeating?

This is a common misconception among stupid people and the facts are very different.

I have seen market research at meetings with Sony and Panasonic, also information on how the cameras are marketed.

You have not.

Canon's market and marketing is not that different.

By the same token you can also argue an iPhone is for stills. Yet a lot of iPhone owners use those for casual video shooting.

The 80D is quite an expensive consumer camera - more prosumer and hobbyist, middle of the pyramid, than something a super-casual consumer would use.

It's in exactly the market where video usage peaks.

In fact I cannot believe you are still bothering to put across this kind of argument in 2016, when every DSLR press release mentions video (and a significant proportion of the text too, sometimes as much as 50-50), a GH4 sells like hot cakes and the manufacturers are spending vast amounts of R&D putting 4K into stills cameras.

I agree that the 80D is WAAAAAY overpriced however, the softness doesn't really bother me.  Actually, at least for doc or short film work, a super sharp image bothers me for some reason.   At this price point, and time, at least give us LOG or 10 bit hdmi output.

7 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

It's no better than the A6300's AF with Sony lenses.

And colors? Honestly, I think you should have done a real review.  Most here value your opinion, and I for one feel you should have put it through its paces and posted your findings in a detailed story. Odds are the 80D will still sell a ton, so the review might have been helpful to many. 

5 minutes ago, DBounce said:

And colors? Honestly, I think you should have done a real review.  Most here value your opinion, and I for one feel you should have put it through its paces and posted your findings in a detailed story. Odds are the 80D will still sell a ton, so the review might have been helpful to many. 

The menu in the Sony's is so extensive you can nail canon colors if you try. The only real problem it has is the overheating but if people do short form the a6300 beats to the dust the 80D. Canon should get rid of the viewfinder and tuck there an EVF for a start.

• Administrators
9 minutes ago, DBounce said:

Well, considering how the video quality is very much a known quantity would it be worth it? Just look up any video orientated review of the following from the past 5 years:

60D
70D
600D
T2i, etc.
EOS M3 (that one might actually even be a bit better?!)

The 80D is 1300 euros here, no way am I spending that much to rehash the same old negative review so many others have done about Canon's APS-C video performance. For 1799 I can get a Canon XC10, much more interesting.

4 minutes ago, Ivanhurba said:

The menu in the Sony's is so extensive you can nail canon colors if you try. Blaa blaa overheating is no problem for short form.

Doing "short form" doesn't really mean anything. You can do a three minute short film and still spend hours taking material.

I did replace my nex-7 with the a6300 and for the express purpose of replacing the nex-7 it works well. But it is a b/c-cam for several reasons. The rolling shutter alone makes it almost useless for handheld shots. You can work around the issues the sony has. But you can also work around the shortcomings of any camera. And I'd say working around a huge rolling shutter is a way worse problem than a soft image. I'll actually be using the A6300 in HD mode quite a lot instead of the 4k that will be reserved for tripod shots. And the Sony colors are an issue. They work well when doing something gritty. But beauty shoots are not easy to achieve with the A7s or the A6300. Hats off to anyway who achieves those.

14 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

The 80D is 1300 euros here...

That is crazy expensive. A 7d mark II is 1450 euros here.

6 minutes ago, hmcindie said:

And the Sony colors are an issue. They work well when doing something gritty. But beauty shoots are not easy to achieve with the A7s or the A6300. Hats off to anyway who achieves those.

It's super trendy at the moment to bash, or be 'disappointed with' Sony colour, but it's really not an issue.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I just got a hands on. 

First of all, the camera does have an a an improvement on resolution/sharpness and only has aliasing vs moire on the older models. It looks very similar to the Canon m3/760D video, detailed but has little aliasing. 

I AM disappointed by the aliasing, it should must have had 7DII 1080p quality at the very least.

But after holding one I understand how it's going to be a very popular camera for youtubers,

imagine that, it's the only camera in the world that gives users a s35 DOF image with absolutely zero experience in focus/exposure, this is the deal with this camera... 

Coupled with the ergonomics and screen and stills. It's going to be a huge hit for youtubers,

the AF and s35 HD is a killer combination. It will also have a big market in our local broadcasters replacing the 5DII/III for shooting effortless s35 Shallow DOF video. 

For FILM, those of us who ''enjoy'' manually focusing and are allergic to aliasing, no, an NX1 or a G7 or a GH4 + XL SB will do better for film use. (not d6300 for the atrocious overheating and bad 1080p and colours, the pannys are the good ones)