Canon 80D video quality still atrocious

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

Just had a brief time with the boxed up retail model. I say brief. I sent it back almost straight away.

I might upload the clips to the original footage thread, but there's hardly any point. You know the score with these cameras.

Soft, aliasing ridden, huge moire problems, not even 1080p resolution.

Very sad - they have a brand new sensor in this thing and had the chance to step at least the 1080p up to 7D Mark II levels, or even in line with the rest of the market, or the Nikon D5500, much cheaper.

This is a 1300 euro camera!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yeah, I'd rather get three G7 bodies for that! Or just one and a couple of lenses, maybe a speedbooster. Some audio gear and accessories. Good ND filter, etc.

The only thing Canon can please me with is the fact that the 80D has the proper audio interface, color and dual pixel AF. But that isn't much good if the footage isn't up to standard.

It's unfortunate because I though what I saw on Youtube was kind of the basic settings that could be tweaked out and I was sold, the a6300 overheating kills it for events at 40º in the spanish summer even though is the camera I wanted. 

Just when we think Canon's thrown us a bone with the improved video quality on the 5DS(r), they have to go do something like this. Yay for non-progress!

As an aside, the actual first video-capable APS-C from Canon was the 500D. Insomuch as a camera that has no manual video exposure, no microphone socket, and video resolutions that include either a useless 1080p20 mode or a truly awful-looking 720p24 mode can be considered "video-capable" anyway. :tounge:

What bothers me is that every camera system has big limitations. 

Canon DSLRs gives us: good color science, good reliability, good user interface, touch screens, and stunning Dual Pixel AF.  The drawback is the soft details in the image.

Sony is the exact opposite.  As much as we chastise Canon (and rightfully so), I do miss the reliability and ease of use of my mushy 70D and 5DII.

On 31/03/2016 at 5:09 PM, Jimmy said:

I'd rather deal with soft footage and aliasing then have leaves, plants and limes look like they have been grown in a radioactive wasteland!

That's a REALLY wierd species of Canna if the Canon has the best colour here - it look's like it was the one grown in the radioactive wasteland!

26 minutes ago, mike_tee_vee said:

What bothers me is that every camera system has big limitations. 

Canon DSLRs gives us: good color science, good reliability, good user interface, touch screens, and stunning Dual Pixel AF.  The drawback is the soft details in the image.

The 1DX-II seems to check every box there.... when a camera checks alot of boxes, it is generally gonna be pricey though, especially when it is bolted onto a flagship still camera.

Let's hope the 5D IV is the middle ground that makes us all love Canon again.

7 minutes ago, Jpr said:

If you are shooting 4K on a 1dx II at 24p let alone 60p it's going to cost you serious $$$ in media cards. 

There is no perfect camera :(.

Pretty sure I have read 4K/24p can go on standard (but fast) CF cards?

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

That's weird. They didn't even give it the 7DII video quality (5DIII softness with zero aliasing/moire)? Does is moire colourefully like the 70D/550D? I'd like to see the results