1000€ to spend. G7 + SB vs NX1

BrandonDor

20 hours ago, neosushi said:

I have both NX1 and GH2, 3, 4.... And totally agree with you :) 

17 hours ago, christrad said:

I bought the GH4...and learned how much color and skin tones (straight out of camera cause I'm not so good at grading) are important : so I sold the GH4 and his ghostly skin tones for the NX1 and I'm very happy with it (coming from Canon 5D).

A few others have been going in the opposite direction such as this shooter here:

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 4/3/2016 at 3:09 AM, fuzzynormal said:

Maybe I'm the one being nuts here, but I really think that for this level of production, one could buy a used $200 G3 and a used $10 Pentax lens and still make it look great. 

I purchased my G3 for less than that, and I got it from ebay *AGES AGO*!

I'm a big fan of the price of the G3, less such a big fan of the quality... a Panasonic GH1 or GH2 or G6 are all so dirt cheap, I'd recommend any of them in a heartbeat over a G3. 

I don't know...I personally feel like each lens and camera renders an image completely different from another so lens & body combination is important. Yeah you can get a great image out of anything but all this variety just shows if the tools from the body to the lens wasn't important then there wouldnt be so much to choose from...

in the case of the nx1 vs pana bodies with speedbooster im interested to see feedback on that as well. A GH4 with 0.64 speedbooster doesn't sound bad especially if I can keep the iso down at 800

I had some some frustrations with the NX1 (which I got returned), especially in stills mode (even FW1.4) & I'm not sure if some of the flaws are generic. I experienced very  unpredictable results  (AF/focus peaking or shutter shock issues?) and sometimes high amounts of noise in dark areas, even at  iso 200.  
I got better results in almost every situation with my old NEX-5t (compared kit lenses & 30mm 2.0 v.s 50mmm 1.8). If you plan to work a lot with stills I wouldn't take for granted that the NX1 works better than the G7, the latter has definitely the better jpg engine.        

13 hours ago, christrad said:

Sorry but apparently you didn't write the Vimeo comments of the owner who said how much he love his NX1 and is not in anyway disapointed by it but just "felt like it was time to try something new".

Actually, that was my input there and his reply, respectively:

"how have you found the difference with your new G7 toy?"

Albert Fast 4 months ago:

"G7 is lighter and smaller but lacks 100-120 fps slow motion and headphone jack. Different color science but comparable low light performance. Both great cameras!"

In a personal note, in a way or another, I share the same perspective of him and many others (no matter the camp you play), to usually be open and straightforward : ) No football cheerleaders contest over here. By the way, it is an European who's writing it :-)

You know what I think makes a really good Formula 1 or MotoGP driver? That he's as good in the field as he is with his team of engineers. He not only needs to know his personal limits, he needs to know where his machine shines and where there's room for improvement to squeeze out that little bit of extra oompf.

Albert Fast is one of these folks that knows the limitations of his gear and knows what to do in post processing to make it go that much further. I feel like that's the real struggle. It's like flying a plane, everyone can make a decent take-off, just throttle up and yank the yoke... pulling off a smooth landing is a 2nd. You've got to have a feeling and understanding for it. It's about putting the puzzle pieces together, you've got to have that oversight. I'm still trying to get to that place with getting my looks down, figuring out the whole deal with all these different LUTs, techniques and methods especially, since I've been shying away from them except for getting quick impressions how different looks would suit certain footage and then just tinkering away from scratch, which tends to get a little time consuming, but I also don't want to throw in a LUT and look like a Instagram hipster. Tough to find that balance, I salute those who have a natural feel for it!

One of my fav looking vids to come across over the last year, must have been this one by Ed on the F35, to me that's just gorgeous synergy of men and tools.

@Cinegain yeah Albert Fast has the magic touch. Definitely an understanding of the cams limitations and knowing what to do in post helps. Im straying away from LUT's since its making less sense to use a preset look with these luts when im already satisfied with the color of my nx1. Lets not forget the artifacting and macroblocking that some luts can introduce even when using noise reduction