4K for Nikon D5

Ramm Francis

12 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Nah, dynamic range stays the same.

Only thing that changes is rolling shutter.

Hardly an issue for timelapse!

X Pro2 has a silent shutter, maybe worth a look.

The Sony A7s had more noise in silent shutter mode according to people who measured the read noise in the raw files. With some Panasonic cameras (I think GM1?) there was only 10bit instead of 12bit read out in electronic shutter mode.

So I think it really depends on the camera model. The rolling shutter is of course a general downside they all share, agreed.

• 1 year later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thanks to all for responding. If price were no object, the Fuji medium format GFX 50S would make killer video using still images. Moreover, a silent shutter.  It also supports two (2) camera batts. I use a Dynamic Perception slider and it triggers the move-pan-tilt of the slider and camera head and also fires the camera. I don't know if it works yet with the new Fuji GFX 50S but I will find out. I shoot nothing but archival anymore and 8K is increasingly the format that is requested from buyers. 

Again, thanks to all for your comments.

Battery supply can be solved with a camera-appropriate AC adapter plugged into a wall outlet, or an inverter of some kind, in turn attached to a 12V battery.

E.g. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=742056&gclid=CJKc5b7m8dMCFVcnvQodQ9oMKw&is=REG&c3api=1876%2C50960586482%2C%2C&IWB=AU&Q=&A=details&pcur=ZAUD

Alternatively, just get the Tether Tools Case Relay system and run your camera continuously off USB-type batteries:

https://www.tethertools.com/product-category/power-management/case-relay/