Canon broke new grounds in DR - lol

wolf33d

http://***URL removed***/news/7168986570/canon-shows-dynamism-eos-80d-breaks-new-ground-for-canon-low-iso-dr

I can't believe it. All the people are like wow it's incredible and a good news for 5D4 blabla. 

But I mean, just use the tool of DPreview and compare the 80D with D7200 or even D5500. It looks absolutely hideous in comparison, full of noise and false colours. 
Since when should we applaud a premium and very expensive company that makes an improvement compared to its own ridiculous products when they dont even meet the competition level of 2 years ago???

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It's a decent camera which actually isn't even that bad. Top LCD, vari-angle touchscreen, you get audio jacks and they aren't in the way of the screen. Dual Pixel AF. Decent button layout/scrollwheels. But yeah, that's about all it really has going for it. What you can pull from the sensor stills wise or video, isn't really day and night of anything you were already getting with Canon, which was already kind of getting behind the curve quite a bit (atleast they have that Canon color).

On the other hand we have Sony tinkering away pulling the craziest stuff out of the sensor, but it's kind of a tech bubble burst situation, where the bigger the bubble the more likely it breaks at some point. I think neither is the right approach. Someone gotta find some decent middle ground here. There should be more stuff like the GH4 and NX1. Don't keep the bodies too small. Give it decent 2016 features, but not to a point it will start to collaps on itself.

Dunno, maybe Olympus with the E-M2 can suprise like the Fujifilm X-Pro2. Perhaps the GH5... or maybe they will introduce a micro Varicam... Panasonic DMC-VC1, perhaps alongst side the GH5, but then on super steroids, but not such as to compete with the actual Varicams.

Jup. And they don't mind the quality, which is fine for YouTube and whatevs. There are some big channels and they've all started out filming with T2i's and 7D's. Vloggers went from their Cisco Flip cams to using IXUS and Powershots. Everytime someone switches brands, to like Sony, you see users commenting: 'please go back to the old camera!'. They're also embracing 60p like no other for native playback. It's a different scene. But different can be interesting. :)

• Administrators

A load of fuss over nothing.

Any image where the shadows have been brought up in the raw files to the extent the are doing in the DPReview tests will look rubbish on every single camera out there apart from perhaps the Pentax 645Z with 50MP Sony CMOS.

They are not measuring the USABLE dynamic range and by usable, I mean, good looking images.

54 minutes ago, JurijTurnsek said:

I would not take advice on anything from vloggers, much less about cameras. /rant

Thats not the point im making, look at people like Casey Neistat. He uses the 70d (now 80d) and the G7x and soooo many people people have bought those cameras just because he uses them, its a big part of why Canon is still seen from the masses as the best dslr for video.

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, BrorSvensson said:

Thats not the point im making, look at people like Casey Neistat. He uses the 70d (now 80d) and the G7x and soooo many people people have bought those cameras just because he uses them, its a big part of why Canon is still seen from the masses as the best dslr for video.

Celebrity endorsement as a substitute for knowledge.

I worry for humanity sometimes.

• Super Members
2 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Celebrity endorsement as a substitute for knowledge.

I worry for humanity sometimes.

I think we all do that sometimes. It depends on interest. Some find researching cameras boring. Therefor they look at a video they like and buy the same. Im pretty sure people have based camera purchases based on what you own (of me to).

I do the same with other stuff. I dont know jack about sports gear. I run, ski, skate and swim. But I hate researching the gear. So I go to some friends who compete all the way up in the Olympics and just ask them. What they say, I buy.

More time for researching cameras, which I enjoy :)

2 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

A load of fuss over nothing.

Any image where the shadows have been brought up in the raw files to the extent the are doing in the DPReview tests will look rubbish on every single camera out there apart from perhaps the Pentax 645Z with 50MP Sony CMOS.

They are not measuring the USABLE dynamic range and by usable, I mean, good looking images.

Sounds like you did not use the tool.

You can go from 0 to 6 EV push. Just go to the maximum EV push on the D7200 where you still judge it is usable (I think it is pretty usable at +5EV, maybe it is +4 for you, don't forget you are watching 100% crop) then match it with the 80D and you will find it it is indeed unusable at the same push. 

I have been shooting landscape with D5300 and got better results than with the 5DIII and I used to use a lot the available dynamic range.

See for yourself www.500px.com/loup_f

There is no fuss or whatever in there just a reality that when you don't have a tripod and you can't bracket, you can get way better results with a Nikon than a Canon today. At least when doing the landscapes I do. As it happens Nikon are shitty for video so it's again a question of compromise. 

16 hours ago, BrorSvensson said:

Sad, but very true. Unfortunately. 

It unfortunately is out there almost the Biblical Truth that "Canon is best for video"!! :-o 

3 hours ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

Not anymore, as long as you're cool with 1080p. Some of the best DR and color science on any 8-bit camera.

Exactly, for a DSLR then Nikon is currently best for video! (yes I am ignore the insanely priced 1D C, so sue me)

Well, these people just want something that works and doesn't require a lot of messing around. The only edit pass they do is perhaps pumping up the contrast and then just cut it. And for that... with stuff like the vari-angle touchscreen, audio interface and Dual Pixel AF, how can you deny that that's exactly what YouTubers that do vloggy type of video should get? It might indeed be the best for video... with the addition of 'for your average Joe and Jane'.

If you want to do corporate videos and actual filmmaking however... that's just not going to cut it. Unless you go C-line cameras/5DmkIII ML RAW perhaps. But then there might be more value there with Sony, Panasonic, Blackmagic etc. And if you take your time to actually CC/grade your footage, it doesn't matter all that much which brand is marked on the camera body. If you want the creative freedom to mess around with it, then 4K and LOG, RAW or ProRes footage are a pretty big deal. Not to mention other stuff, like high frame rates.

6 hours ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

Not anymore, as long as you're cool with 1080p. Some of the best DR and color science on any 8-bit camera.

Yes and no. Indeed the D750/810 do not have a bad 1080p. But it is not great either (sharpness wise). Plus, 1080P is not great, I prefer 4K exported in 1080p and have more possibilities (crop, post stabilisation and better 1080p output anyway).
On top of it, there is absolutely no video features on Nikon bodies. On 5DIV we might at least see good 4K, and touch screen with Dual P AF which is a massive beast of a feature. And when I look at the video capabilities of the new flagship D5/D500... Well I am forced to still say Nikon is shit for video :)

On 3/26/2016 at 2:04 PM, JurijTurnsek said:

I would not take advice on anything from vloggers, much less about cameras. /rant

I wouldn't say that. There are some really good vlogers out there that are making some really good content on a really regular basis and IMO content quality trumps IQ every time.

Its way more important whats in front of your sensor than the sensor itself.

P.S. i would like to add the caveat that there are alot more vlogers making HORRIBLE content (atleast in my subjective opinion) than volgers making "good" content but there are still some good ones out there that I think we could all learn a lesson or two from :)