NX1's shutter speed control during the video recording

瞿盛龙

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
20 minutes ago, 瞿盛龙 said:

Video, I hope the shutter speed can be set, perhaps a hacker can break this limit?

that's how video recording works. you cannot open the shutter longer than the duration of a frame. only very expensive cams can do this afaik. also you would get a lot of blur.
i highly doubt this will be possible on this camera with a hack.

well, if someone manages to make fps freely adjustable you could set it to 10fps and you'd get your 1/10 :-)

I think the OP just wants to remove the shutter limit in video mode which can only go to 1/30, Samsung most likely put it there to prevent people who do not know what they are doing from go below the recommended shutter angle for video. 

Camera should do just fine if you remove the limit as there is no restriction for video mode regarding shutter speed, its just the amount of times the shutter closes every second, video mode can function even if the shutter is set to BULP mode on some cameras.

Low shutter speeds in video mode can help create cool blurry art shots which is probably what the OP is looking for.

1 hour ago, MountneerMan said:

I have never heard of setting the shutter speed to lower than your fps. How does this work? does the camera split and combine the data from each 1/10 of a second for multiple frames?

33 minutes ago, AaronL said:

I have also never heard of this, i am guessing it would give you that classic first person "drunk" style ? ... might be completely wrong, but would adding motion blur do much the same thing?

It just exposes each frames multi times and of course it gets very blurry the lower the shutter speed.

Here is an example of what I am speaking of, its very widely used believe it or not:

4 hours ago, SMGJohn said:

It just exposes each frames multi times

I did a quick google search and found some info on this but not enough to satisfy me and I am quite interested now.

Do you know exactly what is happening in camera when you have a longer shutter speed than frame rate? I mean it is obviously impossible to expose the sensor more than once at a time so the camera must be doing some math internally witch makes me think that there is no reason you cannot achieve the same results in post. I suppose the camera is likely using the raw sensor data where when done in post it would be using the compressed codec data.

29 minutes ago, MountneerMan said:

I did a quick google search and found some info on this but not enough to satisfy me and I am quite interested now.

Do you know exactly what is happening in camera when you have a longer shutter speed than frame rate? I mean it is obviously impossible to expose the sensor more than once at a time so the camera must be doing some math internally witch makes me think that there is no reason you cannot achieve the same results in post. I suppose the camera is likely using the raw sensor data where when done in post it would be using the compressed codec data.

As far as I know it just keeps the shutter open for longer than normally, I said multiple times but I meant for longer period of time.

Its the same principle as for photo but in this case its for video and the result is shown in the video, replicating it in post might be hard and time consuming though.

17 hours ago, 瞿盛龙 said:

I can not set the shutter speed to 1/10

Sony may assume an arbitrary shutter speed

It is impossible to set the shutter speed to slower than the frame rate. Other cameras may give a number "slower", but it is not real since the sensor is always being exposed once the shutter speed hits the frame rate. It physically impossible for it to be exposed for any longer.

12 hours ago, SMGJohn said:

I think the OP just wants to remove the shutter limit in video mode which can only go to 1/30, Samsung most likely put it there to prevent people who do not know what they are doing from go below the recommended shutter angle for video. 

Camera should do just fine if you remove the limit as there is no restriction for video mode regarding shutter speed, its just the amount of times the shutter closes every second, video mode can function even if the shutter is set to BULP mode on some cameras.

Low shutter speeds in video mode can help create cool blurry art shots which is probably what the OP is looking for.

You need to think about what you are saying.

4 hours ago, SMGJohn said:

As far as I know it just keeps the shutter open for longer than normally, I said multiple times but I meant for longer period of time.

Its the same principle as for photo but in this case its for video and the result is shown in the video, replicating it in post might be hard and time consuming though.

Not really. Just offset duplicate copies of the clip by one frame and set the transparency to 50% (or whatever fraction you are using to simulate a longer exposure). Shoot with the shutter speed set at whatever the frame rate was and you are good to go. It's pretty simple.

10 hours ago, tugela said:

It is impossible to set the shutter speed to slower than the frame rate. Other cameras may give a number "slower", but it is not real since the sensor is always being exposed once the shutter speed hits the frame rate. It physically impossible for it to be exposed for any longer.

You need to think about what you are saying.

Not really. Just offset duplicate copies of the clip by one frame and set the transparency to 50% (or whatever fraction you are using to simulate a longer exposure). Shoot with the shutter speed set at whatever the frame rate was and you are good to go. It's pretty simple.

Watch the video, its easier for all of us yeah? Like I said, if you want to smoothen out motion in clips separately from what is not moving, good luck.

13 minutes ago, SMGJohn said:

Watch the video, its easier for all of us yeah? Like I said, if you want to smoothen out motion in clips separately from what is not moving, good luck.

I understand the principles of shutter speed (and traditional shutter angle). What the video doesn't address is the ability for some cameras to "replicate" a slower shutter speed than frame rate. eg. 1/10 sec x 24fps = 2.4sec worth of exposure every second = physically impossible

10 hours ago, tugela said:

I did a liltle more research and my assumption and what you mention appears to be correct in that if you want to do this its best to just do it in post with the method mentioned above or similar.

2 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

Unlocked shutter would be a great thing. Mainly because I want 1/48 as an option in 24p for a true 180 shutter. 1/50 is close but not the same.   

This is actually a really good point. Has anyone tried to force 1/48 of a second using the "st" command?