Nikon's $800 D5200 24mp body, 4:2:2 8-bit uncom. out, Anamorphics + Atomos?

Leang

I've had great results with D3200 (Nikon sensor).  the D5200 (Toshiba HEZ1) has better ISO handling than the D3200 so this will be interesting.  especially for all you anamorphic lovers.  There are D5100 + anamorphic vids around.

I have a Black Magic Hyperdeck Shuttle that I haven't used in a year.  I'll probably start using it with my D600, but the b-frame compression holds up pretty nice at 24mbs.  haven't been bothered to find some solid SSD's for my Shuttle anyway.  Waiting for the Nikon J3 as a B cam...  2.7x crop for a Sigma 300-800 f5.6 would be a sweet ass ELS.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

The D5200 has above average image quality for the price but the rolling shutter is horrendous and the GH3 has more features and a better lens mount (more adaptable).

I'd be interested to see if the D5200 HDMI is uncompressed 4-2-2.

• 2 weeks later...

I do remember a while back some vimeo video of the Nikon D800 shooting Full HD FX and Full HD DX.  So essentially it's using full frame and APS-C auto crop modes since the DX lenses can only cover APS-C.

It would be interesting to test moire and aliasing from different crop modes since both the Nikon D800 & D600  provide Full HD.  Interesting benefits.  I regret selling my 35mm 1.8 DX.  

I've shot a lot with DX and regular Nikkors, and I prefer the DOF of the Full Frame optics whether it gets sharp or soft at the edges.  You get what you pay for.

It would be nice to test the AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G DX (APS-C)  vs. the Nikkor 35mm f/1.4 (full frame)  -  same shot, to test moire and aliasing.  I haven't had much time with my D600.

Thanks Andrew... For days I m trying to decide which camera of the two to get... Mark 3 is too expensive as I m still waiting BMCC MFT mount...

I just got a BMCC, do not buy a MKII or MKIII, just wait on the bmcc.  Also get the gh3 if it's in your budget, it's only a matter of time before it's true ability is unlocked. 

But I've seen a few videos already that look just as good if not better than any hacked gh2 footage.

I just got a BMCC, do not buy a MKII or MKIII, just wait on the bmcc.  Also get the gh3 if it's in your budget, it's only a matter of time before it's true ability is unlocked. 

But I've seen a few videos already that look just as good if not better than any hacked gh2 footage.

I always wonder about comments telling someone to wait for a camera (or a graphics card, cpu, whatever that is just looming on the horizon). The BMC won't magically help you make money off of youtube/clients anymore than anything you have now.

BMC looks great when done properly but it won't help people make "filmmagic". For that you can start with a way lower cost camera before you get the skills to really appreciate the quality differences and what they REALLY mean. This place is full of pixel peepers which is good but don't confuse that with actually doing something with the equipment you have (there are forums specifically for people doing content). So go with the GH2 / Canon / Nikon DSLR's before splashing into BMC world, especially if you are just starting to make something.

Also please be atleast aware of the requirement of editing RAW DNG files. Especially the file sizes / backup and shoot ability for one day. For a newbie, it's very important to get a lot of coverage as that is one of the things most missing when people just start out.