Predictions for NAB 2016???

mkabi

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
47 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

And BMD has never made a "mk2", why start now?

No, instead it will be something new, or a twist on an existing product (like the BMCC => BMPCC => BMMCC progression was, each one a little twist and improvement on the way before. But not a "mk2"! Ditto the progression of: BMCC => BMPC4K => URSA 4K => URSA Mini 4K

But BM did reuse the body of the BMCC for the BMPC4K, so could they do something similar.

My guess is that they will develop the BMMCC body into something a bit larger (a reverse of the URSA=> URSA mini), with a handle grip & a screen of some sort.

JB has already said, maybe not on this forum, that the BMMCC is a crash cam/drone camera & never intended to be a replacement of the pocket. So one can only assume that if they do reveal something (& its a big IF), it will probably be something inbetween the BMPCC & BMCC - hopefully it'll be APS-C sized sensor & will be a Canon mount (but it'll be 1080p, so as not to step on the toes of BMCC).

Or they take a real big leap & make a DSLR - screw over Canon, Nikon, Sony & Panasonic all in one fell swoop!

• Super Members
11 minutes ago, Bioskop.Inc said:

But BM did reuse the body of the BMCC for the BMPC4K, so could they do something similar.

Yup, its actually one of the corner stones in their entire business model. To reuse parts as much as they can.
You find the same exact components in all of their gear. Plugs, sockets, displays, etc, it sits in their cameras as well as studio gear. 

3 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Depends on what you call mainstream :)
I know 0 people that have ever thought about buying anything VR.
There is one guy at work that are looking into the Holo Lens but I doubt he will buy it.

A reported 1 million pre-orders for Oculus, a reported 3 million pre-orders for Playstation VR.

Once they are in stores and getting rave reviews (which they will)... the landscape will change fast. Obviously dictated by games, for the most part, but 360 video is going places too. I've used prototypes at trade fairs and it is pretty special now they have tightened up the latency.

4 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Depends on what you call mainstream :)
I know 0 people that have ever thought about buying anything VR.
There is one guy at work that are looking into the Holo Lens but I doubt he will buy it.

43 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

A reported 1 million pre-orders for Oculus, a reported 3 million pre-orders for Playstation VR.

Once they are in stores and getting rave reviews (which they will)... the landscape will change fast. Obviously dictated by games, for the most part, but 360 video is going places too. I've used prototypes at trade fairs and it is pretty special now they have tightened up the latency.

IMHO, Google Cardboard, more than Anyone Else, and Everyone Else, put together, will help sell VR Headsets, gaming, movies and videos etc etc. 

Dunno how successful it will be, but obviously more than 3D, which had a lot less market penetration, due to obvious reasons. 

Though, it might not really compete with regular movies and video, cause you can't do anything else, while you have that headset on your eyes. It kills multi-tasking. 

I think there will be different levels of VR... Google Cardboard will be a good intro step into it, but the CPU/GPU is limiting compared to what will be on offer for Oculus and PSVR. But for 360 video, it will be fine and makes alot of sense, as people update their phones quickly.

The gaming world is gona go wild for it though, even if it is a step back to about PS2 levels of graphics... The immersion is just a giant leap in gaming. Very interesting tech.

I agree, this is the beginning of VR.

It's perhaps the most exciting new tech I have seen in years.

And now it's time for better optics - I hope blackmagic and especially Sony, the king of small optics, will start introducing some game-changers.

Blackmagic, I hope they take a break from introducing new toys and work on global shutter.

Also a lot of faith in LED technology - this just keeps getting better and better.

On 3/31/2016 at 1:55 AM, Jimmy said:

I'll be keeping an eye out for quality 360 cameras too.... With VR about to hit the mainstream, it could take off.

I agree! This is why I'm about to order a bunch of GoPros to stick them in a rig designed for 360, that then gets stitched together in post. 

It is the only way to do this at a high enough quality and at a still reasonably low cost. (low thousands)

On 31 de marzo de 2016 at 2:43 PM, DBounce said:

I'd love to see a Blackmagic take on the DJI Osmo... And have it ship at the time of announcement.

Yeah!

That's the next market I'd like them to get into: gear.
Like gimbals for Micro and more accessories.