Predictions for NAB 2016???

mkabi

Obviously, we are hearing rumors that Canon is going to surprise us at NAB 2016. So I was wondering what other goodies are we expecting for this show?

Blackmagic Cinema Camera Mark 2??? Pocket Cinema Camera Mark 2???

Smaller more affordable Atomos with DCI 4K recording?

BTW, the only thing I see Canon announcing is the C500 Mark 2. What are the chances that a 5D mark 4 will be announced?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yeah, I hope there's some focus for smaller field monitors/recorders like 4.3-5" from the likes of Aputure, Atomos, Video Devices, maybe a Video Assist with 4K or atleast 4K HDMI downconvert. Maybe Convergent Design could surprise. Lighting kits are always cool. Again: Aputure could have more stuff like the LightStorm series. More affordable flexible LED panels. Audiowise more stuff like the Audio Devices PIX-LR. I'm expecting actually quite a bit when it comes to motion control. It's gonna be a lot of stuff like that. On the camera front, to be honest... I'm not expecting a great deal?

Whatever happened to these guys that wanted to introduce a cinema camera this year. Something under 1000 bucks they were claiming if I remember correctly?

35 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

Yeah, I hope there's some focus for smaller field monitors/recorders like 4.3-5" from the likes of Aputure, Atomos, Video Devices, maybe a Video Assist with 4K or atleast 4K HDMI downconvert. Maybe Convergent Design could surprise. Lighting kits are always cool. Again: Aputure could have more stuff like the LightStorm series. More affordable flexible LED panels. Audiowise more stuff like the Audio Devices PIX-LR. I'm expecting actually quite a bit when it comes to motion control. It's gonna be a lot of stuff like that. On the camera front, to be honest... I'm not expecting a great deal?

Whatever happened to these guys that wanted to introduce a cinema camera this year. Something under 1000 bucks they were claiming if I remember correctly?

this is a market i really would like to see more affordable and well speced products in. Sometimes a 7" monitor isn't the right tool

35 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

What guys?

BTW, I want to see some finished kickstarter projects up and running like the FPS1000 and the SteadyFX

11 minutes ago, BrorSvensson said:

this is a market i really would like to see more affordable and well speced products in. Sometimes a 7" monitor isn't the right tool

Yeah, I'd put a small monitor on a gimbal rig, but a 7" or 10" one... not really. Atomos just brought out a new line with high-end screens, yet 7" as well.

And just generally I'd like to see prices drop below the 1000 bucks. The Video Assist which would do 4K for half the price more. 749. Deal!

11 minutes ago, mkabi said:

What guys?

BTW, I want to see some finished kickstarter projects up and running like the FPS1000 and the SteadyFX

Eh... you had me digging...

• Super Members
1 minute ago, DaveAltizer said:

I wish digital bolex would make a D35 :)

They have confirmed that ideas where being thrown around, maybe a year ago. So who knows.

If they do it might be a kickstarter and a longer wait than for BMD. Think it was two years for the d16, or was it three, cant remember.

Still worth it, would back it instantly. But I suspect they want to finish the turrent mount firsr.

5 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

They have confirmed that ideas where being thrown around, maybe a year ago. So who knows.

If they do it might be a kickstarter and a longer wait than for BMD. Think it was two years for the d16, or was it three, cant remember.

Still worth it, would back it instantly. But I suspect they want to finish the turrent mount firsr.

Same here. Would be an instant back. If used properly, I seriously think the D16 has one of the most gorgeous images out there.. CCD goodness. 

14 hours ago, DaveAltizer said:

Would love to see a 5" 4k Monitor/ Recorder. 

Just seen this announced with a 5.6 inch UHD or QHD screen. Interested to learn what their H.265 recording means for file sizes. Costs around $€2k. Is this what you are looking for? http://news.doddleme.com/equipment/cinemartin-announces-monitorrecorder-powerful-desktop/

I would find it odd for Canon to not announce their product before NAB to create some hype around their stand - or alternatively hold their own event to launch a major camera.

I imagine the fact that they're trying to build hype without being too specific might point to something overall kinda disappointing. May be something we're not expecting - a la last year's XC10, but overall may be kinda disappointing..

Are the cameras that Blackmagic announced at last year's NAB even shipping properly yet? One wonders if they would announce new additions to the line-up considering they obviously can't even ship their cameras that were announced only a year ago.. That being said, Blackmagic tend to like to have something impressive at NAB so who knows what they'll come out with.. Maybe an affordable 360 VR camera.

I think the focus this year will be on 360 VR, drone tech and other innovative stuff so you may see some tech along those lines from players.

I would've expected a DCI 4k recorder from Atomos that accepts V-raw from the Varicam, but considering they've just launched the Flame series, I doubt that will be out for a little while.

• Super Members
20 minutes ago, jax_rox said:

Are the cameras that Blackmagic announced at last year's NAB even shipping properly yet?

Micro Cinema, Micro Studio and URSA mini 4K are all sitting on shelves, could pick one up tomorrow if it wasn't sunday.
The 4.6K is popular in demand so one probably have to wait a week or two.

Probable

• BMPCC V2 - some of the higher spokespeople for BM have basically confirmed this. Same sensor and same or better IQ as the micro. Better screen (hopefully articulating). 60p. Improved battery life. Same basic form factor, though I hope for a tougher shell. Since 2012 BM has released a camera each year and I think this is the camera they go with this year. AND I think they'll be able to ship on time. 
  • Announce Resolve 13. Also a yearly occurrence. 

Hopeful

• New EVF. Possibly hdmi version. Not dedicated to URSA mini. If they don't do this it'd be a waste. Lots of non UM people would want this. 
  • Different sized VA and/or monitor. 

Wishful Thinking

• BMCC v2. I just don't think it'll ever happen. 
  • 4.6k sensor in smaller body, or smaller cut of that sensor. I do think this will happen. That sensor is just too good not to. Will be limited by frame rates compared to UM. The question is when? For heat reasons I don't think they're ready to pull the trigger yet, but when has not being ready ever stopped them. :)
  • Announce new BM close flange mount. Not gonna happen, I just don't understand why. Who cares if no one ever made a lens for it. For adapters and speedboosters alone it'd be worth it. 
  • An x-ray machine. 

• Super Members

Probable
A 4K Ninja Star type recorder for us that don't want a monitor, just the 4:2:2.

Hopeful
A new BMD camera with a s35 sensor and m4/3 mount (its gold Im telling you).If not m4/3 I guess a EF is ok.

Wishful
That more brands realize that thin bit 4K isn't worth more than colors, ergonomics, DR, workflow, etc.
Something from Digital Bolex that I can preorder :)

• Super Members
5 minutes ago, Ivanhurba said:

Sony will add Slog to the AX100, X70, AX53 and the Z150 after realizing people want videocameras under 5000€ with better picture profile options instead of relying only on compact and mirrorless cameras. </sarcasm>

That could actually make the AX100 interesting. Its a nice little package that only really fails in the DR department.

I know! It's a great little camera that could be a great b-cam for lots of situations; and we are complaining about how we would like to have two SD cards for backup when the PXW-X70 has them already, The BOSS stabilization on the X53 doesn't have match and the Z150 looks like a pro version of all three, alas, none of them have Slog to match with the big boys.

On 3/25/2016 at 3:54 AM, DaveAltizer said:

Canon C100 mk3 that shoots 4k and at least 120fps 1080p.

I'd like to see a 'firmware update' that enables the C100 MkII to shoot 4k and 1080 at 120fps. Any thoughts on weather the current hardware could handle that?

On 3/25/2016 at 10:21 AM, mkabi said:

Blackmagic Cinema Camera Mark 2??? Pocket Cinema Camera Mark 2???

My prediction is Canon will carry on being predictably boring. 

And BMD has never made a "mk2", why start now?

No, instead it will be something new, or a twist on an existing product (like the BMCC => BMPCC => BMMCC progression was, each one a little twist and improvement on the way before. But not a "mk2"! Ditto the progression of: BMCC => BMPC4K => URSA 4K => URSA Mini 4K