Fuji X Pro 2 review - a Leica killer. Also a surprisingly capable Super 35mm cinema machine? Let's find out...

Andrew Reid

Can't pull the trigger on this Fuji XPro2 till Fuji fixes the on/off bug. Don't know if any of you have had this issue, but apparently the camera will just freeze up, no word on if this happens during video recording. Many are losing all their custom settings having to do a hard reset by taking out the battery. Fuji has yet to acknowledge the issue, but hundreds of users aren't hallucinating this problem. Bummer!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

FUJI better open up 4k option for video on xpro2, it's capable and the fact that they would disable it makes no sense at all!! It's like buy a Ferrari and limiting its speed to 80kmph!! Stupid, Stupid, Stupid! I have said for years fuji needs to improve their video quality & features in order to truly compete with the true hybrids like Sony a7's, a6300/6000, gh3/4 etc etc! Lets put some pressure on Fuji to open the xpro2 4k option in firmware!!????

• Super Members

I've been so close to buying a Fuji x100t, x70 or XT1 lately. I love using Fuji for stills and some of the ungraded video I see looks absolutely smashing.
The only issue with the video is that they have to much aliasing. So if the X-T2 indeed has 4K or they unlock it in the X-Pro2 I would get one of those. Not for 4K resolution (don't care about that in my stills camera), but it most likely will reduce the aliasing.

So I guess at Photokina I will know which Fuji to buy, if I can wait that long (need a stills camera pretty ASAP).

21 hours ago, Oman Mirzaie said:

FUJI better open up 4k option for video on xpro2, it's capable and the fact that they would disable it makes no sense at all!! It's like buy a Ferrari and limiting its speed to 80kmph!! Stupid, Stupid, Stupid! I have said for years fuji needs to improve their video quality & features in order to truly compete with the true hybrids like Sony a7's, a6300/6000, gh3/4 etc etc! Lets put some pressure on Fuji to open the xpro2 4k option in firmware!!????

I highly doubt that will happen with the Xpro2. Reading up on Fuji, they are big time traditionalist, to the point, that even having video capability within one of their cameras is against the grain. In my opinion, I really don't think they care much about having 4K capability within one of their cameras. Fuji is all about the photographer and I don't see that changing anytime soon.

19 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

I've been so close to buying a Fuji x100t, x70 or XT1 lately. I love using Fuji for stills and some of the ungraded video I see looks absolutely smashing.
The only issue with the video is that they have to much aliasing. So if the X-T2 indeed has 4K or they unlock it in the X-Pro2 I would get one of those. Not for 4K resolution (don't care about that in my stills camera), but it most likely will reduce the aliasing.

So I guess at Photokina I will know which Fuji to buy, if I can wait that long (need a stills camera pretty ASAP).

I agree, some of the video I have seen from the Xpro2 is pretty incredible, and I really haven't seen terrible aliasing. The 5DMarkII had a lot of aliasing as well, but many made it work! I'm so on the fence with this camera for video production, I love the image, but the question is will Fuji support the video side of the Xpro2 with firmware updates. I really don't care about it having 4K capability, but unleashing a few of it's other features for video would be outstanding!

On April 13, 2016 at 8:48 AM, Steve M. said:

This may be a given, but I'll ask it anyway as you never know. Is there any issues with adapting (non-Fuji) lenses to this camera? If possible, I'd love to see the final edit of your racetrack video?  

If you're using manual lenses then no. I've used a dumb eos adapter with the camera and the 10-20 Sigma without a problem. 

11 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

If you're using manual lenses then no. I've used a dumb eos adapter with the camera and the 10-20 Sigma without a problem. 

Thank you for that, Fuzz! Any chance of seeing a few more clips from your camera? There really isn't a whole lot professionally shot with the xPRO2 that I've been able to find on the Internet. Mid-May, I'm pulling the trigger on this and I won't bother you anymore!

• Super Members
5 minutes ago, frontfocus said:

I'd love to see a few more clips too! 

The footage from the X-Pro2 (from the bit I have seen yet) looks really good and colors are gorgeous. 

Only problem seems to be, that the black are crushed rather heavily. 

Download the clips from fuzz, loads of info in the shadows when corrected.

7 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Download the clips from fuzz, loads of info in the shadows when corrected.

I have downloaded the horse track clips, I was asking for just a few more clips to have a look-see. Mattais, have you bought this camera, or thinking about buying it?

• 1 month later...
On April 28, 2016 at 2:23 AM, frontfocus said:

Yeah - crushed blacks surely was the wrong wording.

I don't think it is the wrong wording. I've owned this camera now for just over a month, and all the video has crushed black and mid tones. Why do I say crushed, well if you look at a Xpro2 clip in FCPX you'll notice the black level is below zero, and that the blacks clips at -5 NOT zero. The Xpro2 clips sits right on -5, anything lower than that smashes to a white line. So, all Xpro2 clips need to be raised to proper levels, it's not that you're gaining any more information in the blacks than any other camera is shooting presently. 

I know there has been talk, well actually a wish, that Fuji release 4K capability to this camera in FW. I've seen several talks from Fuji reps, and I can say with certainty, that ain't going to happen. I agree with Fuji, although it could shoot 4K quite easily, the camera body design would create a heat issue, so it's a matter to them as to why create problems. What I do wish Fuji would release in FW to the Xpro2 is to enable the Shadow Tone, Highlight Tone, Color, Sharpness, Noise Reduction, and Film Grain all to the video side of the camera, as it sits now, all of these controls are defeated upon video recording.

On June 8, 2016 at 10:29 AM, Steve M. said:

I do wish Fuji would release in FW to the Xpro2 is to enable the Shadow Tone, Highlight Tone, Color, Sharpness, Noise Reduction, and Film Grain all to the video side of the camera, as it sits now, all of these controls are defeated upon video recording.

Amen to that; needs some tweaking ability on the video side.