Amazing-looking Indian Film

vaga

This is an upcoming Indian film called Theri. I just love the color palette and the overall feel of the images.

I was curious what cameras were used on this, so I looked up the cinematographer on twitter. Turns out most of it is filmed with an Arri Alexa, parts of it with a Alexa Mini, and at least some part (probably some action sequences) using a Red Epic on a strange gimbal where the camera is above the handles (I've at least never seen anything like that before for such a heavy camera) and some drone shots.

How do I get my short films to look the way this does? Right now, I shoot with a T3i, but I'm planning to either upgrade to the NX1 or a6300. Of course, a lot of this has to do with lighting, makeup, lens selection, and color grading. But the best tips and tools you have would be great!

Thanks, Vaga

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Just now, vaga said:

How do I get my short films to look the way this does? Right now, I shoot with a T3i, but I'm planning to either upgrade to the NX1 or a6300. Of course, a lot of this has to do with lighting, makeup, lens selection, and color grading. But the best tips and tools you have would be great!

Thanks, Vaga

I think I'm very much in the same place as you - I'm seeing stuff I absolutely love and I have no idea how to replicate it - I'm finding a lot of mileage in grabbing a notebook, dedicating a double page for each scene, writing down everything I can tell about the scene from:

a writing perspective - how the scene is communicating to the viewer and what information it is giving

a photography perspective - The physical layout of the subjects in frame, and what is not included in frame

a cinematography perspective - How the frame changes through time

then I pick up a camera and spend a week trying to perfect that scene, using the second page to make notes of what works and what doesn't.

What I'm finding is that the most important things will get me shouted at if I write them here, but after you have those things sorted, you get to really hammer down how to make the scene work bit by bit, and each time it gets easier, more natural, your instinct gets you closer straight away and your natural style incorporates those elements.

It's not the quick easy way, but I feel, for me at least it is the best wayt for the long term.

57 minutes ago, vaga said:

using a Red Epic on a strange gimbal where the camera is above the handles (I've at least never seen anything like that before for such a heavy camera)

This is a MOVI 15, famous gimbal. Written on the photo you uploaded.
Other than that I do not find the video amazing but actually pretty cheap and superficial looking, and I can't bear the sounds :D 
Just my opinion ;)

I actually disagree with your assessment in this case. Especially the last few years, mainstream Indian films in a lot of the languages have been screwing around with colors with strange white balances and tints. 

It's not as colorful on average as you might think. Also, I think this is more measured than indiscriminate based on the previous work of the director,cinematographer, and editor.

the actual look of that was maybe not the most impressive part. the slowmo, choreography, editing of the preview, acting, writing style all seemed to play a bigger part in making it look great. but, if you want saturated, with my t3i, shooting semi flat, it seems like bringing all the saturation up doesn't work quite right. reds seem to clip pretty fast. in hitfilm i raise the master saturation to 40 and set the red saturation to -30. seems to work out well. I may be screwing it up myself by shooting at all flat with a t3i, or I'm in some weird middle ground there. I know others shoot even less saturated in camera with a t3i than I do. or maybe my editor is odd or something. but that may be something to toy with, if it might just inherent to the t3i. there's cool stuff to be down with natural light if you haven't yet made an investment in a lighting kit or are saying you're starting to give up on making something look nice with the t3i and you're going to upgrade. it's a pretty great camera, had it for a couple years and it's still teaching me things. better to have a bad camera you no how to use than a great one you don't