My review of the JVC LS300

Mattias Burling

• Super Members

Of course there are lighter but stronger material, but as you say, dont be surpriced if its +$10k. Even the FS7 has the same plastic build. Im glad they didnt go that route, because then there is no way I could have bought it. But those are just my needs.

BTW, there is a big difference in the build of a Cinema Camera or Bolex and the sub $1k bmpcc. So if you like the BM image that night be worth looking into.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Of course there are lighter but stronger material, but as you say, dont be surpriced if its +$10k. Even the FS7 has the same plastic build. Im glad they didnt go that route, because then there is no way I could have bought it. But those are just my needs.

BTW, there is a big difference in the build of a Cinema Camera or Bolex and the sub $1k bmpcc. So if you like the BM image that night be worth looking into.

I owned BMCC for a year and have shot on Bolex multiple times. Love both of them :) 

• Super Members

Still not even had time to install the new firmware... and the little time I have for cameras outside of work is being stolen by the M8.

But here is some footage.
A quick edit of material gathered for a BTS to a friends photo exhibit. As some may know I shoot a lot of analog film, so when he needed a BTS for his Large Format project I was game.
He is doing two things, recreating old pictures of his home town. And also takes portraits in the same old stiff ways they did back in the 50s, but in todays environments. 
In this "draft version" I left in some shakes, zooms and sound for the sake of reviewing the LS300. The final version will be silent, probably B&W and much much longer.
(its going to loop on a monitor in the museum)

Its shot in HD 4:2:2 using only a Canon 35mm f2.0 IS lens. All closeups etc are done with the marvelous Prime Zoom.
It was a good test of something I already knew, the LS300 is a killer Run-n-Gun camera. There was no directing, blocking, or retakes. Everything outside was was done in an hour and I have loads of footage. 

Like I said, these are just some random shots from the material, I didn't spend more than 10 minutes on grading since its going to be B&W. 
I might do a short version of the final video and put it on Vimeo later on.

Holy Hell, it is **snowing**?? But it is mid Autumn now for me (for context, it is late at night here... I have all my windows in this room open, and I'm sitting at my desk in swimming shorts and a short sleeved shirt), which must make it mid Spring for you guys? Surely it must be warmer than that!!

4 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Holy Hell, it is **snowing**?? But it is mid Autumn now for me (for context, it is late at night here... I have all my windows in this room open, and I'm sitting at my desk in swimming shorts and a short sleeved shirt), which must make it mid Spring for you guys? Surely it must be warmer than that!!

april in sweden can be pretty much any season, sometimes it snows like crazy and sometimes its 20 degrees celcius.

• Super Members
31 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

26 minutes ago, BrorSvensson said:

april in sweden can be pretty much any season, sometimes it snows like crazy and sometimes its 20 degrees celcius.

Yup, we had an ice cream outside that very day. Now its may and pretty much summer.

Thanks Mattias for putting this camera on my radar.. wasn't even aware of it's existence before you're 5 reasons to buy vid..

I'm in the market for a new camera.. and am hesitating between FS5, Ursa mini & LS300.

I know you own several cams including BMCC & Red One which you probably use for more filmic projects and the LS for this type of run & gun documentary stuff.

But if like me you could only afford one cam for both types of work, do you think the LS could fit the bill? I'm currently using a D750 with AIS Nikkors ( btw you're videos about the D750 factored in that choice) but I want a proper video cam now and looking ahead that can do 4K.

I've shot Black Magics (BMCC with speedbooster & Ursa Mini 4.6K) and the IQ & Raw blows me away.

I guess my question is how do you find the LS300 sits as far as IQ & gradability? also how are the video assist with latest firmware? has it got false color etc?

Have you been able to check low-light situations and if it quickly gets noisy or has any FPN?

Feature-wise it ticks many boxes for me (S35, MFT, XLR, 4K, VSM etc..) and comes ready to shoot at a competitive price.

Oh one more thing, how about handling & menu diving? i heard overcranking and stuff is a little convoluted..? 

Thanks for any feedback on these concerns.

just read your "evolving review" http://www.gunpowdervideo.com/2016/04/09/the-jvc-ls300-is-it-the-ultimate-video-camera-evolving-review/

answers some of the questions above. would be awesome if you could re-upload the ungraded test footage (link seems to have expired)

also looking forward to your report on the gamma/picture profiles as well as WDR & custom settings. this camera is looking more and more fantastic the more i look into it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mattias, do you have any other comment after almost a month with your LS300?

Have you tested any AF mode (or lenses, or whatever), and could you compare it with any other camera(GH4? C100markII? Any Sony? NX? Anything?)?

For some of us, you are the only source of information about this very interesting camera.

Im in a tricky situation. With the kumamoto delays, we cant get an fs5 for at least a month or two. Has anyone used the FS5 and this JVC? They are very similar cameras by must looks, just no raw or super slow mo on the  jvc, only 120fps. And no 4k sdi either?

FWIW i did get a chance to try the LS300 and sadly it was a rather immediate no-go due to build quality / ergonomics. this thing is extremely plasticky, the buttons, display monitor etc feel insanely toy cheap, like they would break if you applied force. the "palmcorder" handling was also very awkward and strenuous after even only few minutes.  IMO JVC really dropped the ball on that aspect. every thing else may be great about it but that was a huge deal breaker for me. i tried a FS5 right after it and it was night & day difference as far as build/handling. i would seriously not pull trigger on the JVC before trying it unless rock solid return policy! imo FS5 is definitely worth the extra cash especially with the latest update.

It is not just "extra cash", in my country LS300 is half price. I have to test it by myself, but for 16 years now of pro work I was never impressed ergonomically from anything Sony. I would bet in Canon for ergonomics and built quality.

• 2 weeks later...

My video partner bought the LS300 a week ago. Overal we are very happy with the camera, for the price it seems to tick all the boxes, the construction is plasticky, but it does not seem fragile (except maybe the monitor connection to the camera). The viewfinder is unusable I guess (I do not use it anyway), and the "prime zoom function" is a nice addition (especially with Zeiss and Leica primes that we have tested it).

There are a few (ergonomic) concerns though, the ND dial is very easily turned, and that needs extra caution. The camera is very front weighted (especially with EF zooms, but even with other lighter zoom lenses, e.g EF-S).

The other very serious issue we had is the very heavy cropping at 120/100fps. We have tested it only in AVCHD mode, and the camera will be working the whole week, so no time for further testings, but if anyone knows anything about the slo-mo mode, please feel free to add to this conversation.

I was expecting to buy the camera in autumn, but maybe I will wait to see if there will be a similar offer from Panasonic (with better ergonomics, and/or slow motion), and instead I will -mildly- invest in S lenses for my Samsung NX cameras that positve surprised me every time.

I am talking about very low budget productions, for anything bigger, renting is the best solution it seems.

• 4 months later...

Which m43 lenses do you recommend for JVC LS300? I sold mine today and I've always used it with Canon and Nikon lenses with an adapter but the buyer is a wedding and event videographer and he wants to use AF, so I think he should probably stick with m43 lenses, am I right? I have a Panasonic 14-140mm f/3.5-5.6 but it vignettes and I had to crop, and f5.6 isn't enough. Does the Panasonic 14-35mm f2.8 or Olympus 14-40mm f2.8 also vignette?