My review of the JVC LS300

Mattias Burling

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
5 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

I might have missed this Matthias, but what compelled you to buy the JVC? How does it fit into your work? 

I'll be interested to hear your thoughts. Looking at a video venture for someone that the JVC could be good for. 

Ive made a top 5 reasons video earlier but in short,

Basically its a C100ii with 4K, Slowmo, HD422, Prime Zoom, Interchangable mount, variable sensor size, electronic follow focus and more, in a light weight body for a resonable price :)

3 hours ago, mercer said:

That Pen F looks so dang cool. And I love the photos. Were they Raw? The snapshot of your girlfriend is timeless. She has very kind eyes... Great capture. 

No it was whatever jpeg the camera defaults to. Its litterally just after the unboxing, didnt know how to use it yet :)

17 hours ago, IronFilm said:

You only just bought an AF100? 

That is pretty cool seeing new owners still in mid 2016! 

What did you pay for it, US$500ish perhaps? 

I paid 1300 € for the AF100 (which is an AF105 actually, but no difference), the 7-14/4 Panasonic, the 14-140/3,5-5,6 IS and a 32Gb SD card.

Which is a fair price I guess compared to what can be found here in France (usually, the AF100 goes for more than 1000€ without any lenses)

• Super Members
10 hours ago, kgv5 said:

Mattias, how would you compare LS300 to 5d3 ML raw as far as pure image quality goes? Did you try speedbooster on ls300?

Raw is Raw, though to beat. But the resolution is higher, the slowmo is slower and the workflow is faster.
No, I have a Lensturbo II on the way from China, usually takes a while.

• Super Members

BTW: Guess What!?

If you recall back in the days of the BMPCCs youth we tested all kinds of s16 lenses, including these cheap CCD lenses.

fujianlank.md.jpg

Well I thought what that heck, could be fun again. I remember liking the 35mm best.

P4200114.md.jpg

First surprise was that they have updated the build quality, now its actually not to bad.
Second surprise came when I tested the coverage to see how much I needed to remap in camera....... nothing.. its 100%.
I was almost sure it didn't use to cover the Nex APS-C. Or at least I didn't know about it until now.

Either way, a cheap backup or a fun option for some artsy stuff.
Here are some 4K frames. 
(All examples are cinema gamma, a stop or two lower DR but I still tend to use it a lot)

Ungraded
FujianUngraded.md.jpg

Graded
FujianGraded.md.jpg

FujianGraded2.md.jpg

FujianGraded3.md.jpg

Also here is a frame from the Olympus 17mm in f1.8. Some distortion but I could easily scan way larger than m4/3 if I couldn't liv with it.

IMG_00031.md.jpg

OlympusGraded.md.jpg

• Super Members
24 minutes ago, DaveAltizer said:

That's awesome man. Wow. Love it. Guess you're not going Fuji for stills then?

Ive decided to do it next gen, for example the XT2. Then a possible aliasing free image might trump the IBIS. We will see.
I already have lenses and EF adapters for m4/3 so it was ready to go for now.

On 4/19/2016 at 9:20 AM, Mattias Burling said:

Bought a stills camera today that came with the Olympus 17mm f1.8 (the nice one with hard stops).

Turns out it covers the full s35 on the LS300.

20160419_225709.md.jpg

Wow that makes for a nice fast wide angle lens!

• Super Members
1 hour ago, DaveAltizer said:

I messed with it at NAB. Not a fan of the build quality but I still want to rent one to judge it myself. 

It depends on what you compare to imo. Within the segment its solid. Our old Panasonic and Canon camcorders at work are more plasticky and my FS-100 was as well.

Its not all metal like a cinema camera or bolex, but its not suposed to be. It needs to be light enough for a full days Run-n-Gun.

Its metal chassie and metal exteriör where its needed like the handel, mount, ND house.

First time I held it my reaction sent away and when I opened the box to my own it didnt feel the same.

On April 21, 2016 at 0:28 PM, Mattias Burling said:

It depends on what you compare to imo. Within the segment its solid. Our old Panasonic and Canon camcorders at work are more plasticky and my FS-100 was as well.

Its not all metal like a cinema camera or bolex, but its not suposed to be. It needs to be light enough for a full days Run-n-Gun.

Its metal chassie and metal exteriör where its needed like the handel, mount, ND house.

First time I held it my reaction sent away and when I opened the box to my own it didnt feel the same.

I disagree. I think it's obvious they skimped on build quality to keep the costs low. There are other materials or even higher quality plastics that have much stronger build that are just as light. I travel the world and broke two BMPCCs in the field because their build was so bad. Ive decided having a strong build quality is as important as image quality. That's just my needs though.