My review of the JVC LS300

Mattias Burling

• Super Members
1 minute ago, Kisaha said:

Why not a NX1 as a B-cam? And a NX500as a 3rd(!)? I do the occasional event coverage (music/dance plays), and I would strongly considered using all 3 of them (usually have 3 camera operators and 4 cameras, I use a dSLR for a very wide shot and a video camera for closer looks on the scene).

This JVC looks like a winner, it is maybe a firmware update away from being the best video/cine camera hybrid.

I do not see a niced priced Canon 4K video camera coming any soon!

Because it cant use the m4/3, s16 or the active EF lenses. I like the nx1 alot but my B-cam need to share the mount of the A-cam.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 4/3/2016 at 7:22 PM, Mattias Burling said:

Panasonic owns JVC

Interesting! I googled that to check, and you are right, as been so for decades. 

On 4/3/2016 at 7:22 PM, Mattias Burling said:

So if NAB doesn't bring another Raw option to use as B-Cam, my 5D3 might get to stick around or be replaced my a BMPCC.
(PS. For the love of god BMD... A BMPC4K with an active MFT.. I can crop the sensor in post for you.. instant buy.)

I'd much prefer the BMMCC over the BMPCC as they're similar prices, because it gives you better internal battery life and 60fps slow motion. 

Oh, and a BMPC4K with MFT could use the full BMPC4K sensor, just like the LS300 (the 4.6K sensor however is just a little too big). 

I hope at NAB they announce a URSA Mini 4K MFT!

• Super Members
27 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

I'd much prefer the BMMCC over the BMPCC as they're similar prices, because it gives you better internal battery life and 60fps slow motion. 

It seems nice but as B-cam to the LS300 the pocket is more suitable imo.
It doesn't need 60p as the LS300 gets 120p in the next firmware. Battery isn't to important either, can probably get a plate for the JVC batteries. Also it would mean an external monitor to carry as well and then the stealth is compromised.
But currently the 5D is more likely for me.

• Super Members
Just now, jagnje said:

Very interesting. Colors look nice an neutral in j-log. Not the flatest profile, reminds me alot of cinestyle canon footage, actually everything looks very canon like to me. The DR looks very decent, 10+ stops? 

12 usable stops imo. Very comparable to c-log but a little less than BMDFilm.

Totally fine given how versitile the camera is. Today I will se what f0.95 does to the s35 :)

• Super Members

Will probably get some new footage up tomorrow.
Tested the HD 4:2:2 Slowmo today. My copy still only have the 50/60p. But if the upcoming 120p is equally clean, it will be awesome.

50p 1/100
hast1.md.jpg

50p 1/100
hast2.md.jpg

Included this frame just to show the fence thats free from aliasing.
slomoframe.md.jpg

I also got the Mitakon 35mm f0.95 today.
Its a m4/3 mount but designed for APS-C, so full coverage. 

mitakon.md.jpg

Ungraded
kru095ung.md.jpg

Quick Grade
Krut095.md.jpg

• Super Members

Its a shame I dont have a speedbooster to test with the camera. But another fellow did and he says,

"So I tried using my SB with my old Nikon primes and hoped that there was enough sensor coverage to keep the VSM at 100% and still take advantage of the extra f-stop. Unfortunately to get rid of the vignette I had to set it to 92%. "

Sounds like a good deal to me. Maping to 92% and gain a stop. Could be a nice tool to have if I for example want to keep using my 24-105 but the sun is setting.

I know it might sound stupid, but is there any difference in quality (aliasing, moiré, sharpness) between a 100% and 90% coverage ?

The digital processing on this thing looks like obscure magic to me (and I did work in Signal Processing and Vision Imaging !)

5 minutes ago, jagnje said:

oh ok. so you gain about a stop of light and loose about 8% of the FOW? Without the speedbooster you get a 100% coverage of the s35 right?

No, you get more FOV : 1,08x crop of the full frame + 1 stop (with the speedbooster + 92% mapping) versus 1,5 crop of the s35

• Super Members

Im looking forward to completing the review, test all kinds of vintage glass like c-mounts and my K3-Bayonets.
Unfortunately I have to return it this week and don't really have time for another two weeks....

..so I have bought one :)

Here are 5 Reason why.

Im hoping to get my own copy in a week or so. Ordered it from Germany and they seem a bit slow. I suspect they bring them home on order.

Here's a video that compares the dynamic range LS300 against some "affordable" cameras. Don't know if I would call the FS5 affordable, but still interesting to see the dynamic of this camera in JLog.  I'm impressed with what this camera can do. Yes, this guy tried to match the cameras as best he could, which might not be the someone else would have done the comparison, but still worth looking at as a data point.