Dev Menu: OIS Calibration safe to perform.

Geoff CB

Hey guys, discovered that the OIS calibration is safe to perform in the DEV menu. Hit it accidentally when I was exploring the menus. Takes about 30 seconds to calibrate then will say "DONE!" on the screen, you have to hit left on the wheel to exit the calibration.  Worked for my 16-50, did it twice and performing great. Panning performance when using it has improved slightly. So if you ever have OIS issues with the 16-50s it might be able to sort it out!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
38 minutes ago, Geoff CB said:

Hey guys, discovered that the OIS calibration is safe to perform in the DEV menu. Hit it accidentally when I was exploring the menus. Takes about 30 seconds to calibrate then will say "DONE!" on the screen, you have to hit left on the wheel to exit the calibration.  Worked for my 16-50, did it twice and performing great. Panning performance when using it has improved slightly. So if you ever have OIS issues with the 16-50s it might be able to sort it out!

Where exactly it is in Dev menu? Maybe it could help someone (me:-)) with problematic OIS in 50-200 lens (!).

But great info, thank you!

38 minutes ago, Pavel Mašek said:

Where exactly it is in Dev menu? Maybe it could help someone (me:-)) with problematic OIS in 50-200 lens (!).

But great info, thank you!

Follow instructions here: http://***URL removed***/forums/post/57446101

Then while in the menu go to 4. Lens Control and hit ok -> OIS Adjustment and hit OK and it will start the calibration. When it's done hit left to exit (hitting OK will start the calibration again) Let us know if that fixes your issues!

16 minutes ago, Geoff CB said:

Follow instructions here: http://***URL removed***/forums/post/57446101

Then while in the menu go to 4. Lens Control and hit ok -> OIS Adjustment and hit OK and it will start the calibration. When it's done hit left to exit (hitting OK will start the calibration again) Let us know if that fixes your issues!

Unfortunately no significant improvement with 50-200. But thank you for let us know 

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I would hold the camera during the calibration phase and not leave it on a tripod/desktop. It must have a reference/sample shake to compensate and calibrate the OIS to. 

On 1. 4. 2016 at 11:04 AM, Ebrahim Saadawi said:

I would hold the camera during the calibration phase and not leave it on a tripod/desktop. It must have a reference/sample shake to compensate and calibrate the OIS to. 

I thought that too but I have received better result by leaving camera on the desk. I really do not know why... (sometimes I have received even worse results than it was before so I had to perform this test this several times mainly with camera on the desk) 

• 4 months later...