Sony A6300 review (rolling) - Striking image but nagging issues

Andrew Reid

We just got an a6300 and the 18-105pz and it blew me away in a lot of ways and made me want to go throw it in the rubbish on the other hand. Battery life was nothing on the GH4, the image was really really nice and the slog grades amazingly. The AF works so well, my workmate who was using the camera virtually just used AF the whole day, the next gen of these, the AF will be good enough all the time I think. The rolling shutter is shocking though and the ergonomics are weird: we need to buy a cage or something so we can mount the camera on a tripod, the lens overhangs too much to fit it on the plate! Card in the battery slot is a bit poor also. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 hours ago, sanveer said:

Apparently their New Firmware Update deals with over-heating Only for Stills.

http://www.diyphotography.net/sony-a6300-v1-10-firmware-update-solves-overheating-issues-not-video-shooters/

I didn't even know that was (also) a problem. It looks like the A6300 could be used as a Mini Portable Hot Plate for shoots, when one runs out of gas or other heating options. Like a Mini Grill. I won't be surprised if any user has a camera exploding in their hands due to serious overheating. 

I was seriously considering it since it costs under $1100 with a (16-50 mm) lens here. People even claim it's available for under $999 with a lens here.

But anything that can't even shoot 5-10 mins of continuous video is Dead on Arrival.

Now you are seriously exaggerating.

2 hours ago, JurijTurnsek said:

Now you are seriously exaggerating.

About the Price? You won't believe it, but I usually pick up equipment when I realise that the sellers are selling it less than B&H rates. 

I once saw the Rode Videomic X (which retails for about $799 on B&H), for about $300. I would have picket it up, but I don't like the 9V battery bullshit and the super wide pickup pattern.

Maybe so. Yet... they did jeopardize the A6300's reliability. Even if you're doing some small production, there's going to be a time and patience/willingness constraint. If you're working with people at some point they're going to be sick of your 'ow, wait, there goes the camera again, great performance you guys, but we'll have to reshoot this'. And some moments are exactly that: 'moments', and you might not get a 2nd chance to relive it. That's why you probably can't have your camera fail on you all of a sudden, prompting warnings or just shut down. Add the rolling shutter and Sony colors you'll have to struggle with... even with the solid 4K and respectable lowlight performance, are you really so easy to forgive it? Are you going out of your way, by flipping out the screen, opening the battery compartment and even mounting a fan to make it work for you? Why would you do that to yourself? That borders masochism. Does the end justify the means? For me, I like to be in control. I like to shoot at my chosen focal length, focus distance, f-stop, shutterspeed, ISO and white balance. I certainly don't let the camera decide when to start and when to call it a day. When it's critical to get the shot, you gotta be able to trust your camera to handle it. If it can quit on you at any given time, that's just no bueno. But that's just my two cents. I wanted to love and get the A6300, but ultimately I just couldn't.

10 hours ago, JurijTurnsek said:

I used bold text to show which of your lines I was referring to.

The reference to the ability to shoot 5-10 mins continuous video, is not 5-10 mins to begin with, but 5-10 mins, once it starts overheating. Then what? Switch it off, And, wait for how long? Usually cameras overheat, and you switch them off and on. But, with the Sony A6300, there is no definite time when it cools down. It could be anything from 3 mins, or a lot more. Also, once it has overheated, it drastically reduces the ability to shoot continuously, without over-heating again. IMHO, That, is unacceptable.

And what is the use of having all the fancy features, if reliability is the one things missing on a camera. What I like about the Panasonic cameras, is that, they are like the Canons and Nikons. They just work. While some people like super fast autofocus in video and stills, and respectable ISO for an APSC Sensor, most people who use the cameras for video, would just be happy to be able to have something that doesn't randomly shut down, due to something as unbelievable as over-heating.

Also I realised that most people who have used them and complained about the heat issues, haven't even used them in Asia (except perhaps one gentleman in Japan). When the temperatures start soaring above 40 degrees Celsius, the A6300 might just explode. It seriously could. 

We're currently on vacation in Thailand and I got the A6300 to overheat for the first time. 29°C and cloudy, shot maybe 10 clips with 15-30 sec each in addition to ~ 50 pictures and it went into cool down warning. Was quite surprised as it wasn't that warm outside.

I would agree that the camera is a bad choice if reliability is of any importance. I didn't install the latest firmware yet but it only mentions overheating during picture shooting so who knows if it'd even help.

I saw quite a few videos and the A6300 overheating issue in video has been improved, if not completely fixed. Also, apparently Sony has someone Poor in English, who was in charge of the documentation, ans hence the Overheating was Worded Incorrectly, so as Not to Include it Regarding Video.

That's great to know. I'll see if I can update from the lobby computer. Leaves the A6300 with only the rolling shutter as a real annoyance. 

Sony really has the means to make a kick ass camera, makes you wonder who there makes the questionable decisions that lead to the quirks.

1 hour ago, Phil A said:

That's great to know. I'll see if I can update from the lobby computer. Leaves the A6300 with only the rolling shutter as a real annoyance. 

Sony really has the means to make a kick ass camera, makes you wonder who there makes the questionable decisions that lead to the quirks.

Would love to know your results with the new firmware. Suddenly am wondering whether this is a better deal than the GX85, considering this was The Biggest issue with it (apart from a touch screen). And here the A6300 comes at a little over $999 with a Stabilized kit lens. So it's a pretty good deal. 

3 hours ago, sanveer said:

Would love to know your results with the new firmware. Suddenly am wondering whether this is a better deal than the GX85, considering this was The Biggest issue with it (apart from a touch screen). And here the A6300 comes at a little over $999 with a Stabilized kit lens. So it's a pretty good deal. 

I couldn't decide and bought both the GX85 and A6300.  I ended up keeping the A6300.  The key issue wiht the A6300, overheating, has essentially been resolved.  Rolling shutter is slightly worse with the A6300 but still very evident with the GX85.  The GX85 records shockingly poor audio, the worst I've ever come across, due in part to the constant background noise generated by the IBIS.  AF tracking with the GX85's contrast detect system is also useless.  The A6300's hybrid phase/contrast detect AF, on the other hand, is sensational and only falters in difficult conditions (e.g. strong backlighting).  I like to shoot with shutter priority (1/50s) letting the camera adjust exposure on the run.  In this mode, the GX85 changes the aperture in discrete (annoying) steps.  The A6300 makes stepless aperture adjustments resulting in seamless transitions when shooting in varying lighting conditions.  The IBIS is great with the GX85 but this, on it's own, did not compensate for these major shortcomings.

3 hours ago, aldolega said:

Those with the camera, how would you rate the 1080p modes vs. the GH4's? I've read conflicting reports, that it's either better or worse than the a6000, which I generally have heard is on par with the GH4's 1080p mode.

I tried the a6300 for a weekend and used to own the a6000. I would say the video is on par between the two, but the s-log options of the a6300 make it much better for shooting.

Just now, dafreaking said:

Because of the rolling shutter jello?

Yes, I could not stand it. If the sensor was stabilized it could at least mitigate the problem. My stabilized lenses on the NX1 helped with the problem there, but it's worse on this camera and even with a shoulder rig it showed up plain as day in even slow pans.

8 hours ago, aldolega said:

Those with the camera, how would you rate the 1080p modes vs. the GH4's? I've read conflicting reports, that it's either better or worse than the a6000, which I generally have heard is on par with the GH4's 1080p mode.

https://community.sony.com/t5/Join-the-Inspiration/Sony-a6300-suggestions-Improve-1080p-raise-temperature-limit-and/idi-p/567358

1 hour ago, Geoff CB said:

Yes, I could not stand it. If the sensor was stabilized it could at least mitigate the problem. My stabilized lenses on the NX1 helped with the problem there, but it's worse on this camera and even with a shoulder rig it showed up plain as day in even slow pans.

Yikes...and I was getting excited that since the temps have been improved I could actually go for it. So hand holding a 50mm (75 mm full frame) would definitely be a nono on this then I assume.