NX1/NX500 Hack Test Footage

TheRenaissanceMan

3 hours ago, Herb said:

kidzrevil,

Can you detail your settings in the latest video you uploaded?:

wow that looks amazing, also very interested in the settings. also what film grain did you use?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
21 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

@Herb @AaronL    normal gamma : standard

contrast : 0

saturation : -4

sharpness : -10 (can go to -5 in certain situations)

hue : -9

master pedestal : 8 (will try 15)

Luma range : 0-255

I'm writing a guide with all my settings. This one is very experimental but I like it :-)

I think I wrote down all your settings you published keeping them in my Word document, I am experimenting trying to make a LUT out of them so I can apply them to my RAW images and if needed to my flat images, so far looking quite good.

Its just a shame we cannot save picture profiles as presets and gotta use the 3 custom ones which are just 3 out of.

nice ! let me know how the LUT works out for you. I'm glad you like it, I really like what the hue does to the skin tones especially in post production. I haven't used the custom profiles because they all seem to be the standard picture profile. I like to use the other profiles like portrait and landscape for their subtle differences in contrast ant saturation so I stay away from the custom profile

do you mind helping me test this picture profile using -5 sharpness with the high bit rate hack ? I have a theory about the cameras in camera sharpness and how it affects noise reduction.

@AaronL I am using film convert for the grain. Grain size is always either super 35mm or 35mm perf to match the sensor size.

1 hour ago, kidzrevil said:

nice ! let me know how the LUT works out for you. I'm glad you like it, I really like what the hue does to the skin tones especially in post production. I haven't used the custom profiles because they all seem to be the standard picture profile. I like to use the other profiles like portrait and landscape for their subtle differences in contrast ant saturation so I stay away from the custom profile

do you mind helping me test this picture profile using -5 sharpness with the high bit rate hack ? I have a theory about the cameras in camera sharpness and how it affects noise reduction.

@AaronL I am using film convert for the grain. Grain size is always either super 35mm or 35mm perf to match the sensor size.

The higher sharpness the noise will also get sharpened at least from my own experience, I was testing out the sharpness when I got the camera in 2014 and it seemed to do some funky stuff with the noise when the sharpness was adjusted, cannot say it was pretty.

But that was way back, I will see what happens.

Me too ! I have been working on in camera settings that work well with the codec and in post production. Popular LUT's from visioncolor,koji & deluts work damn good with what I came up with. So far I have finallized everything except my sharpness settings. 

I have a theory that the in camera sharpness affect the NR @Marco Tecno

26 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

Me too ! I have been working on in camera settings that work well with the codec and in post production. Popular LUT's from visioncolor,koji & deluts work damn good with what I came up with. So far I have finallized everything except my sharpness settings. 

I have a theory that the in camera sharpness affect the NR @Marco Tecno

Well I tried testing them, after I saw this result I shot some other but I honestly cannot see any difference whatsoever, I did this test in terrible lightning too.

But then I tried the NX500 with the 1440p mode which has no NR and LOL, I think we should just wait until they disable the NR to be honest with you.

I used your settings, NX500 does not have master pedestal neither can I set the luma range which sucks major "#&%/&¤ 

SAMMY NX1 - 3200ISO - LEFT -5 NR | RIGHT -10 NR

SAM_0014 - 3200ISO (-5 NR) 2 (0-00-04-15).pngSAM_0014 - 3200ISO (-10 NR) 2 (0-00-04-15).png

SAMMY NX1 - 6400ISO - LEFT -5 NR | RIGHT -10 NR

SAM_0014 - 6400ISO (-5 NR) 2 (0-00-04-15).pngSAM_0014 - 6400ISO (-10 NR) 2 (0-00-04-15).png

SAMMY NX500 - 3200ISO - LEFT -5 NR | RIGHT -10 NR

SAM_0021 NX500 - 3200ISO (-5 NR) 2 (0-00-07-01).pngSAM_0022 NX500 - 3200ISO (-10 NR) 2 (0-00-07-01).png

1 hour ago, Herb said:

kidzrevil,

Which deluts? James has so many...

deluts v2. I hate his latest pack. It's super contrasty and overdone. I don't know what color space they are intended to be used with but even converting to log before using them I get lackluster results. Its more of an issue with the lut than the camera

@Marco Tecno love the second image !

2 hours ago, timmyturntable said:

Kid...this looks awesome!  How long did ti take you to do the hack and which one did you do?

after I installed the first time it was easy to get the others working. Took an hour not because it was that difficult but because I can be retarded when it comes to these stuff (i.e. magic lantern lol)

for this one I used the kino seed 1.52 I think

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/4/2016 at 8:51 AM, MountneerMan said:

Compressed video usually only records the change in pixels compared to a reference frame.

http://www.axis.com/global/en/learning/web-articles/technical-guide-to-network-video/video-compression-guide

So a very detailed scene could have the same bitrate as a pure black scene as long as nothing is moving in either. Every few seconds a new reference frame is encoded witch would cause the bitrate to jump especially in a very detailed scene.

Honestly I am a pretty big noob when it comes to all this stuff and there are a lot of people on here who know and understand this stuff alot better than me but this is how I understand it.

I just watched this video that I thought some of you might like regarding video compression. most if not all of you will already know this but it a cool video demonstration none the less.

Side note I like it when he throws his coat out of the Ae screen. Cool little effect lol.

• 3 weeks later...