NX1/NX500 Hack Test Footage

TheRenaissanceMan

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 10. 4. 2016 at 0:11 PM, Andrew Reid said:

In the top one the sky is still macro blocking quite a lot.

I have changed luminance levels in Premiere from 0-255 (1st image fom the left) to 16-235 and some compression artifacts disapeared, even I have pushed contrast and black level higher to prove if there are really gone  (3rd image)

Bez názvu-4.jpg

DR of 180Mbps footage. Great thing is there is no macroblocking in lifted shadows, just litle lack of details... but still very good result I think. 

BTW - First image is unedited 0-255, Standard, MBL +8. Second is converted to 16-235 with some grading (also added saturation becuase there was lack of colours in shadows and just a little bit sharpness to left side of image)

_4160013.00_02_09_11.Still006.jpg

_4160013.00_02_09_19.Still011.jpg

18 hours ago, Pavel Mašek said:

DR of 180Mbps footage. Great thing is there is no macroblocking in lifted shadows, just litle lack of details... but still very good result I think. 

BTW - First image is unedited 0-255, Standard, MBL +8. Second is converted to 16-235 with some grading (also added saturation becuase there was lack of colours in shadows and just a little bit sharpness to left side of image)

Wow that is amazing. is that the NX1 or the NX500?

6 minutes ago, MountneerMan said:

Wow that is amazing. is that the NX1 or the NX500?

I forgot mentioned it - NX1. Moreover - it is screen grab from in-camera timelapse so it is not so static scene but quite complex with fast moving trees, waves and clouds.

There was some small macroblocking in blue parts but they disappeared after conversion to 16-235.

On April 18, 2016 at 3:47 PM, Pavel Mašek said:

This is incredible ! I've been shooting with raised master pedestal around 8-9 and it helps alot. Im gonna install this hack today and shoot some clips. Raised pedestal + increased bits to the shadows should work wonders with underexposed footage

38 minutes ago, kidzrevil said:

This is incredible ! I've been shooting with raised master pedestal around 8-9 and it helps alot. Im gonna install this hack today and shoot some clips. Raised pedestal + increased bits to the shadows should work wonders with underexposed footage

I thought the master pedestal only made blacks grey if you increased them or blacks darker if you decreased it? 

6 hours ago, SMGJohn said:

I thought the master pedestal only made blacks grey if you increased them or blacks darker if you decreased it? 

No it raises or lowers the black level so a +8 mp uses the 9-255 range and a 15 mp uses the 16-255 range of data. The 0-16 range of data is usually the "garbage" area when it comes to in camera compression. I spoke to visioncolor and thats why they use the 9-255 range for their visiontech profile and I assume thats why technicolor cinestyle uses the 16-255 range. Use normal gamma to avoid banning and adjust your blacks in post. The results are great especially at high bitrate

1 hour ago, kidzrevil said:

No it raises or lowers the black level so a +8 mp uses the 9-255 range and a 15 mp uses the 16-255 range of data. The 0-16 range of data is usually the "garbage" area when it comes to in camera compression. I spoke to visioncolor and thats why they use the 9-255 range for their visiontech profile and I assume thats why technicolor cinestyle uses the 16-255 range. Use normal gamma to avoid banning and adjust your blacks in post. The results are great especially at high bitrate

Okay thanks I was a bit unsure. I will try it, I started just shooting with the picture profiles in the camera and I got some pretty great images out of it, I will use the master pedestal more now that I actually know it affects the 0-225 range

mountneer, since tomorrow I'll have to fikm my daughter at her first essay of rhythmic gymnastics, indoor, with lights and I'm in Europe, I did several tests at 100fps@180mbit/sec (pal). I think the results are very good up to iso 400, decent at 800, bad to very bad at 1600 and up.

I'd rather use 1/100 (instead of 1/200) but won't go beyond iso 800 at 100fps.

1 hour ago, Marco Tecno said:

mountneer, since tomorrow I'll have to fikm my daughter at her first essay of rhythmic gymnastics, indoor, with lights and I'm in Europe, I did several tests at 100fps@180mbit/sec (pal). I think the results are very good up to iso 400, decent at 800, bad to very bad at 1600 and up.

I'd rather use 1/100 (instead of 1/200) but won't go beyond iso 800 at 100fps.

I personally hope they manage to disable the NR because I did some downscaling and tests with the ones they already uploaded and even though the ISO is worse at lower resolution compared to 1440p and 2160p it still is superior to the old 1080p footage with the NR in place.