NX500 hopes and dreams

Soul-Brother

Can I just start by saying a massive thank you to Otto k for the work he has done on the NX500, 

Massive thanks also to vasile, you guys are so clever and talented.

And well done to everyone looking at the different sections of code, interpreting them for us, and creating this hacking scene.

Props to everyone who tests out the hacks and reports back.

So ....

Can we prioritise what we hope the guys will achive with the NX500 hacks.

Maybe someone knows how to make a poll.

I know this most probobly wont affect how the guys work, but it might be interesting to find out.

Following it here and dpreview is riveting . I'm checking the forums all day, everyday.

I'm hoping for .......

better slomo in 1080,

and for vasile to make his announcment in due course.  

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I would like to see a video zoom function similar to Sony's clear image zoom. Basically, the zoom would be available from the full oversampled frame of the sensor down to the cropped 4k 1:1 readout of the NX500.

The idea is that you should be able to digitally zoom to anywhere in that range without losing resolution.

Obviously it is more intensive to implement this versus increasing the bitrate but it is a feature that I think others have also asked for.

Out of curiosity, normal jpg for stills in what standard is encoded? I mean...it's 8 bit, but...can it be referred as something like 4:2:2?

I'm asking since, if silent shutter could be enabled on nx1, it could already shoot at 15fps jpg @6.5 at top quality...and with the lexar 2000x that lasts forever.

• 2 weeks later...

A few feature hopes and dreams from someone willing to test, but not savvy enough to explore on my own. Thanks in advance for any work.

The "SAS" (Samsung Auto Shot) functions on the  NX500 have the potential of being very useful for various applications, but they are crippled by a few limitations that are most likely software-based. If you're struggling to see how the SAS functions would be useful skip to the Hypothetical Shoot Scenarios at the end. 

In order of priority, these are some changes that would make the SAS functions more useful:

1. The ability to capture in RAW. Currently, as far as I know, all Auto settings are limited to JPG on the NX500.
  2. Manual settings. Just because it is called "Samsung Auto Shot" doesn't mean that you shouldn't be able to manually set aperture, shutter speed, and ISO.
  3. Continuous AF. Currently it is limited to Single AF, which means it sets AF at the beginning of the capture and doesn't change depending on the subject. Ideally the AF would be smart enough to detect movement, focus on the moving subject, and then trigger the shutter (I know this is a lot to ask for, but it could be bloody useful, and doesn't seem outside of the realm of possibility). 
  4. The ability to set "Trap Shot" to be triggered by movement in any direction. Currently you can only set it to be triggered by movement from one direction at a time.
  5. The ability to have video recording triggered by movement. Currently the SAS modes are only available for stills.

Hypothetical Shoot Scenario: You're trying to catch birds in flight and you've found their nest. With the camera on a tripod you frame up a shot to capture the bird as it is just taking off or just coming in for a landing. Ideally, you would be able to set your shutter speed to one fast enough to stop the bird in mid-air without motion blur, set your AF to continuous, and leave the camera to do its thing.

Less likely Shoot Scenario: You're trying to capture footage of polar bears leaving their den in the spring. You set up your camera a few hundred meters from the den opening and run your camera off of a large external battery. With a long lens you frame up a shot of the den opening, you lock your shutter at 1/50th and set your aperture to f/5.6, you set ISO to Auto, and you turn AF off. Ideally, the camera is able to be left alone for hours, and when movement is detected in the frame a video is captured for a set period of time.

These scenarios are just meant to spark people's imagination with the potential utility of this already powerful, but crippled, capture tool.

Thank you very much for your good work. My hope is:

When remote shooting NX500 via iOS Samsung Camera Manager i can not shoot RAW. Only JPG is possible. Is that software or hardware related? Strange. All my other cameras can shoot RAW via wifi. I would be extremely happy if RAW (.SRW) remote shooting could be made possible.

Thank you

• 1 month later...

Disabling NR and enabling UHD, 4K, 2.5K MJPEG even UHD at 50/60FPS with LOG would make NX1 and NX500 kill cinema cameras in the price ranges of 20 - 50k in terms of video quality, sure you get one or two stop more dynamic range, but these cameras are like mobile camera size in comparison to those cinema cameras imao.

Make NX1 shoot 2.5k raw video, would been a pipe dream come true, that would probably get big names to use the camera for their big movies I am sure of it.

They used Canon DSLR's with Magic Lantern in the movie Mad Max

• 7 months later...

I recently bought the a6300 and as nice as the image is, I don't really think it's any better than the NX500. However, I sold my NX500 last year, for a profit. The most impressive aspect of the a6300 is the image quality mixed with the Super 35mm. With the hack opening up the 2.5K with the NX500, I'm curious to learn how the IQ is compared to the 4K? Unfortunately, I have not found many examples on YouTube or Vimeo... any thoughts or examples from the regulars?

On 22.12.2016 at 0:03 AM, mercer said:

I recently bought the a6300 and as nice as the image is, I don't really think it's any better than the NX500. However, I sold my NX500 last year, for a profit. The most impressive aspect of the a6300 is the image quality mixed with the Super 35mm. With the hack opening up the 2.5K with the NX500, I'm curious to learn how the IQ is compared to the 4K? Unfortunately, I have not found many examples on YouTube or Vimeo... any thoughts or examples from the regulars?

The a6300 has way better high ISO perfromance and should have slightly better dynamic range in video thanks to S-LOG2, S-LOG3 is not very good in my experience because it compresses the footage WAY too much for an 8bit video.