Canon have "surprise" at NAB 2016

Andrew Reid

10 hours ago, Ak Ns said:

Canon wants us buy a lot cameras one with C-LOG one with 4k60fps one with duel pixel autofocus one with Higher resolution one with nothing.

As someone with my 1DX Mkii order in, I can tell you my main gripe is the omission of c-log. Clearly this was a deliberate omissions, and a major disappointment, considering even entry level Nikons include a log profile. Seriously Canon... with a list price of $6400... no c-log? WTF?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, Jimmy said:

keep bombarding them with emails about c-log.... i send about 5 a day with various emails!

FYI: I did shoot an email off to Canon, shortly after reading this... And I got a reply. I bolded the part that I think we really need to hammer Canon on:

Thank you for contacting Canon product support.  I understand that you are inquiring about whether Canon Log will be implemented in the EOS-1D X Mark II in the near future.  I will be able to address your inquiry.

Canon has not released any information explaining why Canon Log was not a feature in the EOS-1D X Mark II.  I thank you for your feedback and I will make sure to forward your suggestion to our engineers for review.  However, please note that decisions to include a particular camera feature are made by our engineers and product designers in Japan, based on a number of factors.  Consumer demand, technological limitations, and customer feedback are all taken in to consideration.

Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Thank you for choosing Canon.

Sincerely,

Rodney
Technical Support Representative

Here is the CanonUSA page with all of the means to contact CanonUSA. I suggest we also hammer them on social media. It seems that is a medium that gets a lot of response these days. I firmly believe that if we the consumer let Canon know that it is not OK to leave out such a basic feature on their top of the line model, that they will listen. So lets get this one done.

Too bad this didn't work with Samsumg... RIP NX1.

4 hours ago, DBounce said:

FYI: I did shoot an email off to Canon, shortly after reading this... And I got a reply. I bolded the part that I think we really need to hammer Canon on:

Here is the CanonUSA page with all of the means to contact CanonUSA. I suggest we also hammer them on social media. It seems that is a medium that gets a lot of response these days. I firmly believe that if we the consumer let Canon know that it is not OK to leave out such a basic feature on their top of the line model, that they will listen. So lets get this one done.

Too bad this didn't work with Samsumg... RIP NX1.

There is another thing they'll definitely listen to... not buying it! If it's not fit for purpose don't purchase it, all companies listen to sales stats.

I'm not beeing a superdick, that's what I do if the product is clearly missing a key feature, I'll let them know that's why I didn't give them money and went to a competitor.

3 hours ago, jgharding said:

There is another thing they'll definitely listen to... not buying it! If it's not fit for purpose don't purchase it, all companies listen to sales stats.

I'm not beeing a superdick, that's what I do if the product is clearly missing a key feature, I'll let them know that's why I didn't give them money and went to a competitor.

It will sell like crazy in the stills world though

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Canon Log gamma hasn't been implemented in the 1Dx because it's not a C-line camera, and from the beginning, Canon said "C"-Log is an exclusive feature of the "C''-line, so giving it to the 1Dx would mean giving it to all their stills cameras. Instead, the chose C-Log gamma to be a feature you only get by using a cinema line camera (C100/ii, C300/ii, C500, XC10, 1DC). It's a really uncalled-for decision because we're talking about a complete powerhorse of a cinema camera here with the 1DXII, and it should definitely get C-Log gamma mode to complete the package, unless they're planning on a newer version of the 1dc based on the 1dxii but with C-log & unlimited recording limit lifted, the s35 HD mode, and at least one more feature like a 4K HDMI output or C-line peaking/waveform/vectroscope/zebras. There definitely is still room for a 1Dc successor, and if it's on their timeline then getting C-log on the 1dxii by asking isn't happening, but if the 1dc model was terminated (which i don't believe) then yes emsils might give us the feature. But honestly, using the 1dc I am shooting in portrait PS dialed all the way down much more than c-lg because it's just gorgeous with lovely skin and can be graded easily, while C-log i reserve for daylight landscapes. I can't get C-log footage to give the portrait PS SKIN in grading, as it's an internal colour science difference changing the colour, saturation, and even exposure of only the skin areas, so it would need complex secondary colour correction to replicate in-post. C-Log however, does really give a lot more highlight information that sre otherwise clipped in any PS using the same shadow exposure/ information. Highlight TONE priority gives an extra full stop of dynamic range in the Portrait PS, I can live without C-log but I ust eish it had it along with the super sharp small-filed s35 mode. I sent an email . Others should too. 

10 hours ago, Ebrahim Saadawi said:

Canon Log gamma hasn't been implemented in the 1Dx because it's not a C-line camera, and from the beginning, Canon said "C"-Log is an exclusive feature of the "C''-line, so giving it to the 1Dx would mean giving it to all their stills cameras. Instead, the chose C-Log gamma to be a feature you only get by using a cinema line camera (C100/ii, C300/ii, C500, XC10, 1DC). It's a really uncalled-for decision because we're talking about a complete powerhorse of a cinema camera here with the 1DXII, and it should definitely get C-Log gamma mode to complete the package, unless they're planning on a newer version of the 1dc based on the 1dxii but with C-log & unlimited recording limit lifted, the s35 HD mode, and at least one more feature like a 4K HDMI output or C-line peaking/waveform/vectroscope/zebras. There definitely is still room for a 1Dc successor, and if it's on their timeline then getting C-log on the 1dxii by asking isn't happening, but if the 1dc model was terminated (which i don't believe) then yes emsils might give us the feature. But honestly, using the 1dc I am shooting in portrait PS dialed all the way down much more than c-lg because it's just gorgeous with lovely skin and can be graded easily, while C-log i reserve for daylight landscapes. I can't get C-log footage to give the portrait PS SKIN in grading, as it's an internal colour science difference changing the colour, saturation, and even exposure of only the skin areas, so it would need complex secondary colour correction to replicate in-post. C-Log however, does really give a lot more highlight information that sre otherwise clipped in any PS using the same shadow exposure/ information. Highlight TONE priority gives an extra full stop of dynamic range in the Portrait PS, I can live without C-log but I ust eish it had it along with the super sharp small-filed s35 mode. I sent an email . Others should too. 

We'll if a new 1DX is coming,  then canon have lied in virtually every interview and video they've made about the 1DX. Because time and time again they have stated that the 1DX mkii is a replacement for it. 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi
22 hours ago, DBounce said:

We'll if a new 1DX is coming,  then canon have lied in virtually every interview and video they've made about the 1DX. Because time and time again they have stated that the 1DX mkii is a replacement for it. 

Do you mean 1DC? Did CAnon say the 1DXII is a replacement forbthe 1D-C? They didn't , it's a replacement for the 1dx while the 1dc stays in a separate line for those who need unlimited recording time, s35 crip mode, and c-log for matching with other c-line cameras. The 1dx-ii is not a replacement for the 1dc from the c-line, just a replacement for the 1dx. The likliness of having a successor tobthe 1DC then is still available, but it won't be cheap, 

2 hours ago, Ebrahim Saadawi said:

Do you mean 1DC? Did CAnon say the 1DXII is a replacement forbthe 1D-C? They didn't , it's a replacement for the 1dx while the 1dc stays in a separate line for those who need unlimited recording time, s35 crip mode, and c-log for matching with other c-line cameras. The 1dx-ii is not a replacement for the 1dc from the c-line, just a replacement for the 1dx. The likliness of having a successor tobthe 1DC then is still available, but it won't be cheap, 

Yes, but I could not save the corrections. In any case,  weather canon call it c-log or something else,  the 1DX, should come with some sort of Log profile. 

On 4/24/2016 at 6:22 AM, Ebrahim Saadawi said:

Actually, Canon did state that the 1DX Mkii is a replacement for both the 1DX and the 1DC... Look at the video below... Goto 8:29 and listen as the Canon Product Manager is directly asked if the 1DX Mkii is a replacement for the 1DC. Also earlier in the video he speaks about how Canon envisions this camera being a B-Cam to the Canon 300 Mkii.

FYI: there are several other videos and stories out there where Canon have repeatedly stated the the 1DX Mkii is a replacement for both the 1DX and 1DC... with that said, don't hold your breath for a new 1DC being announced.