Canon have "surprise" at NAB 2016

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 24/03/2016 at 9:20 PM, tugela said:

No they won't. The only reasons they can get away with it on the 1D is because that camera has two primary processors as well as extra hardware to help out, the body is huge and made of metal (helps with cooling), and because they use an undemanding low compression codec. It is the sledgehammer approach...

What in the f are you talking about? So the camera is somehow "bad" because it's rock solid and makes a gorgeous picture? Weird thinking. Yeah, the body is huge but guess what? Professionals like'em huge. (it's not even that big, it's basically a 5d + battery grip)

10 hours ago, duffman said:

5DIV - 4k, +1-2 stops more sensitive, canon colour, stupid codec, £3500ish. ML will hack raw on to it and we'll carry on criticising Canon while using their products every day :)

The activity on ML died down so much, I wouldn't be surprised if nothing will come from that side anymore. The 70D is the newest camera "in work". If the 5D IV would get a new Digic processor quick enough for 4k without going the current MJPEG approach of 1Dc / 1DxII (which it probably can't because it traditionally has only one instead of 2 Digic processors and a smaller body [worse for heat management]) but H.264 or H.265, it would probably need completely new work to hack it. If it goes with a compressed 4k codec, it's questionable if the memory bus implementation to whatever card it will use will be fast enough to save 4k raw.
The ML people are probably knee deep in the work for the Axiom camera plus there's just so many alternatives available today compared to when the 5D II / 5D III were hacked, my stomach says the Magic Lantern solution will disappear with the 5D III.

24 minutes ago, tugela said:

5D cameras have dual processors as well.

Unless the 1DXII has additional logic, the 5D4 should have similar capabilities

No they don't. You can check the technical specifications on the Canon website or wikipedia. The 5D series always had one digic processor, the corresponding 1 series had dual digic processors.

The new 5Ds and 7D II have Dual Digic 6 too, granted I didn't check those because they don't seem to be too popular, but none of those has Magic Lantern available either. And despite Dual Digic 6 they only have 1080p h.264, addition is only the 60p.
Seeing how the 5D III had Digic 5+, the 1Dx the Dual Digic 5+, the new 5Ds has Dual Digic 6 and the 1Dx II has Dual Digi 6+, I wouldn't be surprised if the 5D IV had a single Digic 6+. I could imagine that would give 4k 30p which would make basically most people happy.

Despite that, I'm actually hoping the 5D IV would be amazing!

The 5DS (both versions) and 7DII are current generation prosumer designs, and they all have dual processors. The 5D4 will as well, unless it uses a Digic 7, in which case it might have only one.

All Digic processors up to version 6 can only do up to 1080p60 using hardware encoding. In order to do 4K software encoding like the 1DXII they will need dual processors. One Digic 6+ won't cut it. If they use a Digic 7, it likely has a 4K encoder in hardware, just like its sibling, the Digic DV5. The jury is still out regarding their ability to keep things within the thermal envelope with adding a fan however. We have already been told that the Canon went with dual Digic 6 and MJPEG in the 1DXII because that was the only way they could do 4K in the body practically. The 5D update will have even  more constraints, so the bar for it is even higher.

If the 5D4 shoots 4K, IMO it will most likely be MJPEG using dual processors. If it has a single processor then it will probably be limited to FHD using H.264 encoding.

4 hours ago, Phil A said:

No they don't. You can check the technical specifications on the Canon website or wikipedia. The 5D series always had one digic processor, the corresponding 1 series had dual digic processors.

The new 5Ds and 7D II have Dual Digic 6 too, granted I didn't check those because they don't seem to be too popular, but none of those has Magic Lantern available either. And despite Dual Digic 6 they only have 1080p h.264, addition is only the 60p.
Seeing how the 5D III had Digic 5+, the 1Dx the Dual Digic 5+, the new 5Ds has Dual Digic 6 and the 1Dx II has Dual Digi 6+, I wouldn't be surprised if the 5D IV had a single Digic 6+. I could imagine that would give 4k 30p which would make basically most people happy.

Despite that, I'm actually hoping the 5D IV would be amazing!

I think you hit the nail on the head here.  I wouldn't expect it to do 4K 60p like the 1DX2, but I didn't expect the 1DX2 to be a 1DC with higher frame rates either..  

What's funny is, I actually "did" expect the 1DC to still be $2k more because it had C-log...  Because canon logic is weird.

I am going to snooze thru this announcement, recently the big news was Canon released a camera that cannot even match the quality and features of theT2i after almost ten years of canon "development" at the same price. I use 3 Canon cameras now, they are great due to Magic Lantern however I cannot imagine buying more canon lenses or camera bodies, they are not competitive in my mind. I think any announcement from Canon will be that digital filmmakers will have to pay a mega thousands of dollars for their camcorders and that their dslr and mirrorless cameras are for photos only. For those of us that swing both ways (video and photo) you are sore out of luck. That is why I have been uninterested in any model below $4k and so not interested in their latest cameras and I have taken to heart the Canon philosophy that dslr and mirrorless filmmakers do not matter.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Canon "surprise'' is a camera thatbthey hadn't already announced at the time before NAB  opening, meaning, the CAnOn HS-200 (or whatever it's called) which is a C100Ii sensor with 10bit 4:2:2 in a cube modular body with added sdi and genlock but withoutthe internal recording and ergonomic out of the box body of the c100ii, at a reasonable price. This was Canon's surprise, whether it interests us or not it was their new NAB product. Their highlights this year aside fromnthat new annpuncement, was the CANon 18-80mm f4 cinema lena for 5K with a cheap 400 servo unit , a lens all s35 users were asking for years (a general purpose constant zoom with cinema grade quality and mechanics with servo aside from the ridiculously expensive cabrios/fujinons) it will be a bery popular lens for all s35 camera users demanding a zoom lens, especially for broafcasr, news, tv, documentaries, and even narrative. Other is the C300II with a s35 8K sensor (recordingbto four 4K recorders however), which was shown before but at the show they have full fledged experience of footage shot in 8K and displayed on new anon 8K Reference displays and 8k projections surroundingthe audienve giving a glimpse of how 8k might be used fortheatrical use. They also had lenses with 8K badgeS and they stated these cinema lenses are capable of resolving the entire 36mp resolution required for 8K video aquisition. They're definitely aiming to lead the future 8k market. Other highlights were fully working 1DXIIs together with  1Dcs, illustrations ofthe 4k 60p ability of the camera and simultaneous DPAF were demonstrated with great pride in the system. The last was the Canon 80D that they were demonstrating it's improved DPAF ability, 60p, 1080 output for mointoring, and bettwr lowlight performance ''making it ideal for those shooting video forvthe web and can do it effortlessly with the high perfprmance autoexpusre and autofocus giving the large sensor aesthetic to the masses with the new 18-135mm PZ servo and CAnon's high performance video optimized STM range covering all videographic needs'' 

These are CAnon words not mine. These were their most prominent exhibits in the show floor. 

2 hours ago, Jimmy said:

The surprise didn't have to be for low budget Indies.

I imagine he was talking about the power lens

I think it was the power lens plus the ME200S-SH. Also I didn't say I expect something cheap but there was a lot of expectations to get some ideas about the future of the Cinema EOS line. There were hopes for a C100 III (I know, too early, but considering the competition) or C500 II.

I think both of these products are good but they're both quite niche or not? 
I actually like where the ME200S-SH is going, I think the look of the C100II sensor is good, but it's even more crashcam than the BMMCC, it's not even that much for drones because it doesn't have it's own battery or recording.

I really want Canon to succeed because from the manufacturers I've tried over the years I enjoyed the process of using the camera the most with them. They totally should have given C Log to the 1DxII, so at least for hybrid shooters there would be a amazing solution.

On 23/03/2016 at 10:02 AM, IronFilm said:

Nah, C100 mk2 was too recent! Canon doesn't update their cameras that fast. Plus their pro line up gets refreshed even slower than their consumer range would be. 

This. This. This. 

Zzzzzzz

Sorry, I just meant C100 iii with 4k it's coming, not it's coming for NAB 2016 ;)

On 29 March 2016 at 8:02 PM, Germy1979 said:

I think you hit the nail on the head here.  I wouldn't expect it to do 4K 60p like the 1DX2, but I didn't expect the 1DX2 to be a 1DC with higher frame rates either..  

What's funny is, I actually "did" expect the 1DC to still be $2k more because it had C-log...  Because canon logic is weird.

Canon wants us buy a lot cameras one with C-LOG one with 4k60fps one with duel pixel autofocus one with Higher resolution one with nothing.