Canon have "surprise" at NAB 2016

Andrew Reid

• Super Members
5 hours ago, tugela said:

Figure it out. I don't speak Swedish so I can't explain in terms you would understand.

Ahh, regular Tugela Canon Trolling. I figured, but gave you the benefit of the doubt. 

4 hours ago, Brian Caldwell said:

Can a camera that only offers a EF or PL lens mount truly be considered mirrorless?  True, there is no mirror, but if you throw away the possibility of short BFL optics what is the point?

I belive the mirror is the key ;)

Any way, you can adapt m42, C/Y, OM, Nikon and a few others to EF. So its not that bad. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
13 hours ago, Jimmy said:

None that I know of, unless by mirrorless, you are also counting things like BM Ursa?

Sony FS7 ... physically almost the same size and the almost the same crop and almost the same price. Imagine what kind of tech Sony could squeeze in an A-mount DSLT body - but I'm thinking they don't want to compromise it with the long flange distance of A-mount. Still, the technology seems to be there to just produce a top of the line E-mount body the size of a NX1 and with a free A-mount adapter bundled in for free. Combine AF of A6300 and a7RII and you have a winner.

On 3/22/2016 at 2:28 AM, Jimmy said:

DSLR wise, Canon respond to Nikon... Always have, likely always will.

Yeah, Canon only cares what Nikon is doing. Canon ignores what is happening with Panasonic/Sony/Samsung/Pentax/FujiFilm, and doesn't bother responding to them.

This is why Canon didn't bother to put video into the Canon 50D even though it could have! :-o

It took Nikon releasing their D90 to push Canon to release their own HDSLR in response. 

19 hours ago, jgharding said:

I think a C100 MKiii is coming with 4K.

Nah, C100 mk2 was too recent! Canon doesn't update their cameras that fast. Plus their pro line up gets refreshed even slower than their consumer range would be. 

16 hours ago, Jed I. Clampett said:

I think what ever their surprise is? It will help put me to sleep at night. Likely the big surprise is a new name for the same camera. It will be expensive and for video compared to the competition useless, like all the camera introductions for the last 3 years. 

This. This. This. 

Zzzzzzz

38 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

This is why Canon didn't bother to put video into the Canon 50D even though it could have! :-o

I have a 50D with magic lantern and , even though it produces beautyful images, it overheats like crazy. It's possible that they just used the camera as a test bed for future video featrures on other models or even considered adding the feature on the camera and in the end decided against because of the heat issues. Which is too bad, because I really love the 50D raw.

13 minutes ago, JurijTurnsek said:

Yeah, that was a strech. My bad. But I stand by my statement that Sony could 4K60p in a NX1-sized body.

Sony could, Samsung could, Nikon could... Canon have (in a DSLR body).

Judging Canon's actual releases on what Sony or anyone else "could" do is futile, at best.

Canon rarely lead the line, and have a deserved reputation for moving slowly... But they deserve some recognition when they do take the first step and could easily do something very interesting at NAB to follow up on the quite bold move of putting 4K/60p in a lower priced camera than their current flagship C300II..... Times are changing.

58 minutes ago, TomasSunyer said:

I have a 50D with magic lantern and , even though it produces beautyful images, it overheats like crazy. It's possible that they just used the camera as a test bed for future video featrures on other models or even considered adding the feature on the camera and in the end decided against because of the heat issues. Which is too bad, because I really love the 50D raw.

They'd never have provide raw in the 50D, compare it vs H.264's heat

5 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

They'd never have provide raw in the 50D, compare it vs H.264's heat

I have tried both with similar results, in fact it overheats just by getting to live view mode, without any recording.

The main factors that I've obseved that contibute to increase or decrease the time until it overheats are the the room temperature and being under the sun.

8 minutes ago, Curtis Ross said:

I just want a new canon camera in the price range of the 7D(and simliar) etc with 4k...... Is that too much to ask

So you want a Nikon D500? ;-) 

Otherwise, you'll have to wait for the 7D mk3.... and even that might not have 4K!
Waiting on the 7D mk4......

Canon's "D500" equivalent is the 7D, and we had to wait for ages to see the 7D mk2, and that only just came out. So no, we will not see a 7D mk3 in response to the D500 any time soon (actually, it is the other way round....  in a way the D500 is Nikon's response to the Canon 7D mk2, they're now of the same generation). 

13 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

So no, we will not see a 7D mk3 in response to the D500 any time soon

We'll just have to see.... If Canon see a big noise about the D500, they will respond. They have been doing this game of cat and mouse for decades.

8 hours ago, Jimmy said:

Sony could, Samsung could, Nikon could... Canon have (in a DSLR body).

Judging Canon's actual releases on what Sony or anyone else "could" do is futile, at best.

Canon rarely lead the line, and have a deserved reputation for moving slowly... But they deserve some recognition when they do take the first step and could easily do something very interesting at NAB to follow up on the quite bold move of putting 4K/60p in a lower priced camera than their current flagship C300II..... Times are changing.

No they won't. The only reasons they can get away with it on the 1D is because that camera has two primary processors as well as extra hardware to help out, the body is huge and made of metal (helps with cooling), and because they use an undemanding low compression codec. It is the sledgehammer approach, and you can only use sledgehammers effectively if you burly enough to do so.

Doing it on smaller systems that are more typical of consumer cameras and with a codec more palatable to consumers would not be possible with their current technology. That is why they have not tried to compete with the other manufacturers - they just don't have processors up to the task. No doubt they can see their market share slowly dribling away, but there is nothing they can do about that right now other than hint "Just wait! Soon!" without any specifics.

5 minutes ago, tugela said:

No they won't. The only reasons they can get away with it on the 1D is because that camera has two primary processors as well as extra hardware to help out, the body is huge and made of metal (helps with cooling), and because they use an undemanding low compression codec. It is the sledgehammer approach, and you can only use sledgehammers effectively if you burly enough to do so.

Not sure what you are on about... I was saying that it was a bold move to put 4K/60p in a $6000 camera when their flagship C300 II doesn't have it.

As for the rest of your post, it is just pure speculation, with a healthy dose of Canon based tears mixed in.

But yea, i'm sure you visit Canon's factory every day keeping upto date with their tech