Canon have "surprise" at NAB 2016

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

My reading on that is that Canon themselves will have technology demos for 8K (but not necessarily in imminent products). I expect they will be showing the C500II, which will probably have that capability.

I think the "low cost, high quality offerings" refers to what he expects will be shown at NAB in general from many manufacturers, not specifically from Canon themselves.

Surprises? If anything, I expect those would perhaps be the lower end professional camcorders being upgraded to DV5 capabilities (the XF series, which I believe are due for an update this year).

We are talking about Canon. Remember about the "see the impossible" marketing campaign for a useless website ? Remember the "revolutionary" XC10 ? Remember about the "great for video" 80D that can do 1080/60p with AF in 2016, which also required an additional $200 "Power Zoom adapter" ? Should I go on ?

I personally remember the day I choose to invest in Canon gears, I'm only waiting for the 5Dmk4 now before switching definitively to Sony and Panasonic.

6 hours ago, OliKMIA said:

We are talking about Canon. Remember about the "see the impossible" marketing campaign for a useless website ? Remember the "revolutionary" XC10 ? Remember about the "great for video" 80D that can do 1080/60p with AF in 2016, which also required an additional $200 "Power Zoom adapter" ? Should I go on ?

I personally remember the day I choose to invest in Canon gears, I'm only waiting for the 5Dmk4 now before switching definitively to Sony and Panasonic.

It's gong to be a revolutionary new printer.

8 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

nab-2016-canon-surprise.png

Tim Smith says we should expect to see "low cost, high quality offerings", plus a "surprise" from Canon themselves at the show, which starts April 16th 2016.

Read the blog post here

TBO I have a gut feeling that more than Canon, Black Magic Designs may have some interesting products. That's why they were in a hurry to start shipping the 4.6 and micro with or without all the promised features.

And regarless of whether BMD finally  ships the product in 2017, 2018 or 2019, it will be an exciting product. ?

12 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Tim Smith says we should expect to see "low cost, high quality offerings", plus a "surprise" from Canon themselves at the show, which starts April 16th 2016.

Just simply getting "low cost, high quality offerings" from Canon would be a massively huge surprise in itself! :-o 

We will be showing not only our existing product line, with a few surprises, 

So in other words, more of the same same. ("only our existing product line")

As for "a few surprises".... likely just something minor, or some hints. Not any new products (because: "only our existing product line").

but we will also be showing working 8K cameras and 8K displays that look into the future of production.

Or in other words.....   nothing new! Again. Same same. 

Canon has already displayed a working 8K camera. 

http://www.newsshooter.com/2015/10/13/canon-expo-2015-8k-cinema-eos-technology-demo-camera-recording-to-four-external-recorders/

Q: What are you expecting to be "trending" or very popular at NAB?

A: I think you will be seeing some low-cost high-quality offerings that open up many possibilities for both big-and small-budget productions.

Hahaha, but Canon guy didn't say it would be coming from them! ;-) 

Q: Are you holding any special events at the show? If so, what are they?

A: Nothing offsite, but we are going all out on the show floor; we even has an immersive 8K vertical reality ride you have to see.

Again.... more of the same same, nothing new here. Canon has displayed that before:
http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/7/10725492/i-was-taken-for-a-ride-by-canon-s-8k-experience

13 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

What’s more likely however is a model from Canon at around $3k to fill the gap between their unexciting DSLRs for video and the more exciting but very expensive Cinema EOS cameras.

But that would price it above the brand new C100 mk1 with Dual Pixel AF :-/

DSLR wise, Canon respond to Nikon... Always have, likely always will.

They have smashed the D5 out of the water (video wise), but need a competitor for the D500... So expect that soon.

C500 II is due....

Then maybe something leftfield, like a new C100 4K with fixed lens.

22 minutes ago, Michael Ma said:

The XC10 was Canon's surprise last year at NAB.  And surprise it did.  :grimace:

I'd be all over a version 2, if it had a faster lens and used the C300 II sensor tech.... Everyone I have chatted to that actually uses the XC10 loves the thing.

• Super Members
33 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

I'd be all over a version 2, if it had a faster lens and used the C300 II sensor tech.... Everyone I have chatted to that actually uses the XC10 loves the thing.

Yup, its a great camera. What the critics always forgett is that the competitors cant touch it. Closest is the Sony AX100 and that has what, 0.2 backwards steps of DR? ;)

Imo videomakers have this wierd thought that Canons products are aimed at Indy Art Videos. When its probably the last thing they care about.

27 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

I heard that people were saying the kit lens was soft, but having another look it looks pretty sharp.  Maybe it's just not good wide open?  In either case, they just need to put an EF-S mount on that thing.  The fact that they don't so they can upsell you is what's so off-putting.

10 hours ago, Jimmy said:

DSLR wise, Canon respond to Nikon... Always have, likely always will.

They have smashed the D5 out of the water (video wise), but need a competitor for the D500... So expect that soon.

C500 II is due....

Then maybe something leftfield, like a new C100 4K with fixed lens.

It will be 4K capable XF cameras fitted out with the DV5 processor. That is a workhorse pro line that does not get a lot of attention and is being surpassed by the competition, so I think there will be updated versions.