Which would you rather have? 1DC/5Dmkiii/A7sii/Other

Mattias Burling

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
8 hours ago, User said:

Yes, but are you diggin' the 1DC image? How does it compared to all the other cameras you've run the gamut with? God like?

I dig it, whats not to dig? :)

This was quick and dirty while getting the GFs birthday present. Now I might focus on the LS300 for a while but then I will give the 1DC a run through.

8 hours ago, kaylee said:

@Mattias Burling: who wins this color battle royale - xc10 vs 1dc vs 5d3raw :glasses:

To early to say 100% but I suspect its the 5D3raw. But that includes a longer workflow. The 1DC I just drop in FCPX and go.

Since most people in this topic don't read your initial question properly and suggest way off topic solutions I'm also going to suggest you don't buy any camera and instead waste any disposable income you have on Anamorphic lenses and shoot "test shots". No need to thank me now.

• Super Members
2 hours ago, tweak said:

Since most people in this topic don't read your initial question properly and suggest way off topic solutions I'm also going to suggest you don't buy any camera and instead waste any disposable income you have on Anamorphic lenses and shoot "test shots". No need to thank me now.

I would get the Anamorphic, just waiting on a good deal since retail isn't my cup of tea :)

On 25.3.2016 at 8:32 AM, Mattias Burling said:

This was quick and dirty while getting the GFs birthday present. Now I might focus on the LS300 for a while but then I will give the 1DC a run through.

I really dont want to chime in into this "Canon looks filmic" blabla, and I dont know what / if you did in post processing, but boy, this image looks so pleasant to me. Had the 35 2.0 myself on the A7s and it is really a nice lens. Andrew doesnt recommend it in his lens guide without a reason. This combo seems to sing!

Scratch my original answer: I'd get one of the "battle-tested" Kinemini 4K's off Kinefinity's website. Bare bones for $2500, fully unlocked for $3500. Another $500 or so for monitoring, power, and SSDs, and you're ready to rock...and that's assuming you don't have that stuff laying around already. http://www.kinefinity.com/shop/kinemini-battle-tested/?lang=en

15 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

They are cool. But they preform pretty equal to the BMPC4K or URSA mini 4K. Same strengths, same weaknesses.

Not really, no. Maybe you're thinking of the AJA Cion. The Kinemini doesn't have global shutter. It's usable at ISO 3200, and very good at 1600. ~13.5 stops of DR vs the Ursa's ~11.5. The color science is very, very different, as is the native tonal response. The Kinemini takes generic 2.5" SSDs vs the Ursa's CFast. Kinemini has Cineform in addition to uncompressed CDNG and 3:1 KineRAW. Kinemini has an OLPF. The Kinemini has DCI 4096x2160 over the UM4K's nonstandard 4000x2160. The Kinemini has a 1.4x crop factor vs BM's 1.7x. Kinemini has 92fps slomo, BM only 60p. KM has interchangeable mounts and the option for the short flange distance Kinemount. With the UM4K, you're stuck with either EF or PL. A big one for me: the KM has downscaled 2K Cineform in camera, whereas you can only get full-res RAW out of the BM. It's a lot lighter at 1.5kg vs 2.3kg, has support for anamorphic shooting, and even uses less power than the Ursa Mini. The only real advantages for Blackmagic are the bundled software, XLR jacks, and larger local userbase. I'd have to send the camera out for repairs/servicing either way, so that's a wash, and word on the forums is that KF's customer support is outstanding. 

They are both cinema cameras, with the same base needs as anything else in that class--power, storage, monitoring--but imo, the Kinemini is a much more capable tool. 

https://vimeo.com/100913781

https://vimeo.com/117008129

https://vimeo.com/109413357

3 hours ago, TheRenaissanceMan said:

The Kinemini has DCI 4096x2160 over the UM4K's nonstandard 4000x2160.

With the 4.6k sensor you get full DCI res. Not sure why the '4k-only' version has such a strange resolution. It's pointless, they mas as well have excluded it altogether and just made it a UHD-only camera.

24 minutes ago, jax_rox said:

With the 4.6k sensor you get full DCI res. Not sure why the '4k-only' version has such a strange resolution. It's pointless, they mas as well have excluded it altogether and just made it a UHD-only camera.

Yes, and it'll only cost you an extra 2 grand. :P

For that price, you could buy the new 5K Terra body.

50 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Equal or greater Dynamic Range, a million times faster workflow. Trade of is softer and less ability to grade as well as no crop mode.

50 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Equal or greater Dynamic Range, a million times faster workflow. Trade of is softer and less ability to grade as well as no crop mode.

Are you using MLVS? No need to transcode MLV files anymore.

My first DSLR was a D90. Nikon's colour science is great. I had a D5200 too but it was a bit soft and had some nasty fixed pattern noise.

• Super Members
19 minutes ago, squig said:

Are you using MLVS? No need to transcode MLV files anymore.

My first DSLR was a D90. Nikon's colour science is great. I had a D5200 too but it was a bit soft and had some nasty fixed pattern noise.

You can open MLVS in Resolve or FCPX? That would be nice.

Of course, you can open MLVs directly in resolve or premiere using MLVFS. Works for PC and Mac. No transcoding. You Can also use a nice app called slimRAW to compress raw files (lossless or lossy, 3:1, 4:1) I use it to copy files from card to hdd, instead of say 128gb (full card) of data i get about 60gb with lossless compresion, it doesnt take much more time than simple copying.