Interview with Emmanuel Lubezki (DP from Revenant, Birdman, Gravity, etc.)

tellure

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
12 minutes ago, tellure said:

http://***URL removed***/interviews/4663212665/interview-with-three-time-oscar-winning-cinematographer-emmanuel-lubezki

He sure loves dynamic range.  Can't say I disagree.  Interesting that he feels film still has superior dynamic range.. my impression was that digital had caught up, at least at the highest level.

He obviously hasn't shot with the URSA mini 4.6K yet. :)

Back in the days of film, you would over-expose by a third of a stop or more, and you would still get amazing amounts of latitude, all the while decreasing the amount of grain.

I still prefer the colour, look, and dynamic range of film. I sat in a cinema on Wednesday night and watched a whole lot of footage from the new Varicam LT, and just wished it had some sort of film grain, some sort of organic-ness... Instead, as impressive as the footage was - it was just missing... something. 

It's sad that film hasn't enjoyed a slightly longer life..

16 minutes ago, tellure said:

100+ years isn't long?  Seems like a pretty healthy lifespan for any technology that came of age in the 20th century IMO.

Eh, you know what I mean. I guess more accurately: I'm sad that film died as quickly as it did. It's now possible but very difficult to shoot film. Would've been nice if it continued as an equally viable medium to digital at least for a while. 

I know what you mean. It felt like somewhat of an abrupt end, given how revered the image still was/is.

Also, interesting how the very thing that we tend to seek through getting the 'film look', he deviated from. He said that film look to romanticized and surreal, where as the clean digital looked more real, and therefore immersed the audience further into the world. Interesting take on it.

2 hours ago, dbp said:

He said that film look to romanticized and surreal, where as the clean digital looked more real, and therefore immersed the audience further into the world. Interesting take on it.

It must fit the narration. However, would you say Birdman or Revenant appeared rather real than surreal? I can only tell for myself. I expect some kind of meaningful stylization. That signals - from the very start - that the whole thing is worth watching. In the first seconds of any film the filmmaker must catch my attention, he has to promise a good show. A good director once said, realism doesn't transcend. And anyway, of all isms it is the most arbitrary one. You need to exclude emotion, mood and passion for something to appear real. 

Hyperrealism is the right term. By this is meant a heightened sense of reality. You can't keep that through feature-length. Special moments in life (more adrenaline), special moments in films. And all the more stylized.