Samsung NX1 OS problem?

Benozaur

I'm new here so I'd like to say Hi everyone.

I have run into what seems like a memory leak issue or the operating system keeps tripping over itself. I'm a film maker not a programmer so please bear with me.

Yesterday I was filming in the studio with my NX1 (Firmware 1.40 - latest to date) with HDMI cable attached to a monitor for preview only, internally recording 4K, 24 fps, no sound, no picture style, movie quality set to Pro, smart range off, Luminance level 0-255, Gamma control set to DR.

All was fine untill half way through the session the camera froze. No big deal as these things happen from time to time so I removed the battery and put it back again. It took me about a minute and a half to actually get to the camera in its frozen state as it was in an overhead rig requiring a stepladder to access the camera.

Since then it has been behaving like a rebellious yet very lazy teenager. It has trouble booting and the interface flashes on and off for about five seconds or so. The menu is very sluggish and eventually becomes unresponsive. It has trouble reporting battery status for the most part just being blank though sometimes I am able to get a reading for a while. I can still take photos and record video but the previews are very slow and eventually just freeze up. Changing shooting modes sometimes speeds the OS up a bit (changing from Manual to Aperture priority for example).

I have tried resetting everything in the settings menu (a feat that takes about a minute to navigate to) but all that does is reset my user preferences. I have tried updating the firmware but it already has the latest installed 1.40 and won't let me reinstall.

I am past my warranty at this point but all I am looking for is some way to do a full factory reset or somehow refresh the OS somehow.

Any suggestions or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thanks for your suggestions...

I was using a Sandisk Extreme pro 64GB sdxc 95MB/s. The same card I have been using for months without any issues. I have tried formatting it on camera and on the PC too for good measure, tried a Transcend card too. The symptoms remain the same with and without SD cards mounted. 

Also I have left it overnight with the batteries out - no change. I have also tried completely draining the battery and then fully recharging it to no avail. I have spare batteries and SD cards and have ruled them out as the root of my woes.

The NX1 is functional but very sluggish to navigate the menus to the point where it eventually freezes. I have contacted Samsung about the issue but got the usual "have you tried turning it off and on again..." level of helpful suggestions.

8 minutes ago, Benozaur said:

Thanks Sekhar,

Settings> reset> all. All that does is reset user settings.There is no way to fully reset to factory defaults on the NX1. That is why I am on this forum in the first place. Firmware ramains at version 1.40. Frustrating... :(

You said it took a minute to do the reset, so it seemed like you tried something else.  Anyway, I'd try installing an older firmware version and see. If that works, you could update back to the latest version. I've never tried to go back though, so I'm not sure if the camera will allow that. But given what all you tried, it would be good to eliminate the firmware as the problem.

Yep, it takes a minute to actually navigate the menu - its that sluggish. I tried installing an older firmware and to my surprise it actually worked. I downloaded and installed v1.31 and the problem persisted. Then I connected via i-Launcher and updated to v1.40 (the latest firmware) and the sluggish interface, trouble reporting battery levels, slow menu response etc still persist.

I assume that its some sort of memory leak...

Thanks Geoff, I am literally two weeks past warranty now so I gave this a try. I did a "factory reset" from the "System Parameter" menu and it did indeed reset to factory settings, had to re-enter my timezone, choose language etc... The problem still remains though.

Andrew, I think you are right, looks like I'll have to send it in for repairs and that's going to take ages and the cost??? We shall see.

When I got the camera new a year ago it was stuck in a reboot loop out of the box so I had to send it back but it got fixed in six weeks. I live in Poland, ordered it from a company in Hong Kong who shipped it to me from a shop in the USA only to get it sent to Korea for repairs. Oh well it looks like the fun is starting all over again...

I really love my NX1 but all this is pointing my head towards the Ursa Mini 4.6K with a set of Rokinon Cine lenses...

Just saying :)

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...