Cell phones replace DSLRs!

jcs

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, jcs said:

https://hdfx360.com/pre/us/index.html

sidebar-art-6.jpg

Look how happy the cellphone photographer is compared to the DSLR photog!

lol, however someday this will happen with new lenses and imaging technologies (not going to happen with a clip-on lens).

If the optics are decent might be useful for the next iPhone feature...

iPhone fanboys genuinely believe that the iPhone can outdo most DSLRs, and the fact that famous Filmmakers and Photographers use their iPhones for photos and videos (including commercials and films), makes it even more difficult to dispel this myth. 

14 minutes ago, araucaria said:

I saw a post on this forum where a guy debunked the sensor size myth. .

Wait, were you serious? What myth are you talking about? I guess you mean the perspective differences that just depend on the distance between the lens and the subject.  

Lens distortion for wider focal lengths, noise performance, color sensitivity, dynamic range, DoF depend on the size of the sensor and for a given sensor technology noise/color/dynamic range always improve as you increase the sensor size. 

• Super Members

In short.

f1.8 is the same exposure on s16 as on Medium Format.

50mm has the same perspective on s16 as Medium Format.
Its just that you have to step back with the s16 since its a crop of the larger sensor.

The depth of field is the same, its just that you get the same depth of field on a person filling the s16 frame at 90mm already at 30mm on FF, so you can go closer.
The depth of field zoomed in is just a magnification of the same blur.

But with that said, it is much easier to shoot wide, get shallow depth of field, have large pixels for lowlight, etc with a large sensor.

A simple example,

Here is a picture with a large sensor.
krut1.md.jpg

Here is a picture with a small sensor, with the last picture in the frame just for comparison.
12799252_462119710640516_654872096975159

In both pictures I did my best to get SDOF.

1 hour ago, araucaria said:

I saw a post on this forum where a guy debunked the sensor size myth. Another guy said that the smaller the sensor, the smaller the equivalent lenses. Cellphones are the future, Imagine a camera the size of your fingertip shooting IMAX quality pictures.

Can't wait for the 1mm f/0.05 lens :heart:

The newest camera-phones are incredibly useful for a very large number of shooting scenarios. In just 2 more years they will be able to competently do even more types of shoots.

This is why I hate the idea of spending even $1,500 for a camera anymore. At $1,995 the BMCC is the most expensive camera I have ever bought. 

Even the BMPCC really is no bigger than a phone. If you hold just the body in your hand and look at it - aside from the battery compartment and the lens mount, the guts really could fit easily into the body of an iPhone or Samsung phone.

9 minutes ago, DPStewart said:

The newest camera-phones are incredibly useful for a very large number of shooting scenarios. In just 2 more years they will be able to competently do even more types of shoots.

This is why I hate the idea of spending even $1,500 for a camera anymore. At $1,995 the BMCC is the most expensive camera I have ever bought. 

Even the BMPCC really is no bigger than a phone. If you hold just the body in your hand and look at it - aside from the battery compartment and the lens mount, the guts really could fit easily into the body of an iPhone or Samsung phone.

Smartphone Cameras were heading in the Right Direction with the Panasonic CM1, till they screwed up with the Lack of OIS, Bad Battery Life, f2.8 lens, Laggy Processing, 15fps 4k, not too impressive HD, poor HDR, slow buffering high initial price, and other issues. And, then scrapping it Altogether (removing the Calling Aspect from the phone).

After the PureView808 (which too was poorly designed, apart from the superb camera), this seemed like the next stage, but everyone has moved back to 1/2.3" sensors and below. 

So, smartphone cameras will compete with present standard of smartphones, in another 10 years. Not less. 

The problem with phone cameras is that their lenses are basically glorified pinholes. As soon as you make the lens brighter, it grows bigger and needs to be further away from the sensor because the pixels can't take it. Curved sensors will help to make the lenses shorter and brighter, but you will never break the rule that says that for the same equivalent image, the pupils must have the same size, a 50 1.4 equivalent lens on a phone, needs a entrance 3.5cm pupil = giant compared to the phone. Obviously you don't need a 50 1.4 for almost anything, but it's a limitation. Another thing is that small sensors have worse/smaller DOF (yes, right, trust me :)) so you will never want anything that is not a glorified pinhole.

The future in phones comes with software and better sensor performance, it will be a different tool with different looks as traditional photography.

I don't believe it can replace.  I do believe many will settle with the format as sensor technology advances, though, for the sake of convenience.  And we all know that.  The same way some professionals put down REDs to shoot on these smaller mirrorless 4k cams.  I know some who mount their iphone 6+ on pistol grip gimbals, and in the hands of someone who can deal with the sensor/lens/codec shortcomings, it and look and feel like great portable super16 shooting (not exactly, but you catch my drift).  And it cuts very well with other cams for professional work.  Just saying.  Not a replacement yet (by any means), but as the technology becomes more versatile, people will probably settle with what they're already paying for monthly to talk on.  Who knows what's yet to come though.  I never thought I'd see specs like the nx1 or a6300 here already in their form factor.  But they're here, yes?