BMMCC and URSA 4.6K finally shipping!

cojocaru27

2 minutes ago, viranikenya said:

A7s in slog2 & sgamut is a nightmare to grade is exposure is not right (ETTR). 

Also even know I don't see too many BMCC sample footage online am getting suspicious how come?

The Sony stuff is the worst. I agree about the lack of BMMCC footage, although the pocket was the same way. I imagine we see a ton in the next few weeks. I hope to have one by the end of next week. I am really wanting that 60p. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
2 hours ago, tugela said:

I don't believe that 2.5K was ever promised for the NX500 in promotional material. What someone said is that in beta testing it was 2.5K, but that was changed when the camera was released. Rumors and beta testers breaching their NDAs does not constitute "promotional material".

Well semantics aside, sending a camera to the biggest camera review channels and sites is for promotional purposes.

9 hours ago, John Brawley said:

Just because the couldn't get gs working as well as they would like for the current cameras doesn't mean you won't see it in the future, like for example the over due Ursa 4.6K turrets ?

I think BM had to draw a line and ship the UM4.6K because for the vast majority of users the RS is perfectly acceptable for most users, while they keep optimising it.

jb

Actually John mateeee, can you ask the boys next time your over about a nikon mount turret please :) I've got a big bag of nikon G glass that has no F-stop dials sitting on my shelf for the last five years doing nothing ... :) and pass along a thank you for a great job on getting stuff done in the way they do. 

ps: you missed the most iconic shot of that house on great ocean road mate.. a nice MW shot to show off the cliffs would of been sweet as... just to show the world how crazy us aussies can get ! ( was this place yeah ?) 

iconic great ocean road house - Bing images 2016-03-20 17-42-20.png

7 hours ago, Bioskop.Inc said:

Having played with the 4.6k Cdng files, I think RS vs GS is a moot point - boy can you push those files!

I can totally understand why they decided to just release the Mini 4.6K without GS, as it will simply sell itself with that picture & the DR available.

Would've taken the hit with the Micro, but if the picture quality/DR is anyways near the 4.6Ks - that'll be one powerful little camera for the money! The only thing is, is that Grant didn't really mention the Micro in his comments - anyone can confirm anything?

From looking at the sensor manufacturers website they list the new version of the bmpcc sensor with switchable global shutter and capability to do 60p.  It would be my assumption that the sensor within the bmmcc is definitely this new unit - capable of doing 60p, so will likely also have the global shutter, but not enable-able.  I expect rather than a problem with physically implementing the global shutter to work, they're probably not happy with the hit it takes on low light and dynamic range when enabled and have been working on ways to process the readout.  I see no other existing camera that makes use of this sensor (in consumer or industrial camera applications) so I assume bm are the guinea pigs.  Lets hope they work it out and enable the gs function at a later date.  the moment it's confirmed for the future I'll be back on the potential customer list! 

1 hour ago, richg101 said:

From looking at the sensor manufacturers website they list the new version of the bmpcc sensor with switchable global shutter and capability to do 60p.  It would be my assumption that the sensor within the bmmcc is definitely this new unit - capable of doing 60p, so will likely also have the global shutter, but not enable-able.  I expect rather than a problem with physically implementing the global shutter to work, they're probably not happy with the hit it takes on low light and dynamic range when enabled and have been working on ways to process the readout.  I see no other existing camera that makes use of this sensor (in consumer or industrial camera applications) so I assume bm are the guinea pigs.  Lets hope they work it out and enable the gs function at a later date.  the moment it's confirmed for the future I'll be back on the potential customer list! 

Nice info on the possible bmmcc sensor & I'm with you all the way - i'm happy with the Pocket & am more than happy to wait things out. Its my theory as well that the hit on DR was too significant, but also the fact that the sensor read out for RS was really up there with the best of them & so of not much concern in the end. GS will always have less DR than a RS - so perhaps, electronically, the inner workings of the camera can't handle the shift in pace or simply they would have had to downgrade the RS mode to fit in line with the GS mode. All speculation in the end.

What we do know about BM is that they do end up fixing/adding things with firmware updates.

I really want them to implement 4:3 mode on the Pocket for anamorphic shooting, its the only thing that's missing from it. Then again, it does have a 4:3 frame guide, which is really useful & i suppose that's as good as it'll get for the Pocket - a real shame, but i can live with that, just about!

5 hours ago, richg101 said:

What I think BM needs to do, should've already done right at the last announcement, is announce a slight price reduction. It only makes sense for the micro anyway. One is forced to buy a monitor to accompany it. $795 or $895 sounds right to me compared to current pocket price. I think a $500 reduction is coming for the 4.6k eventually, would've been cool to announce up front, but they probably have some massive r&d costs to overcome first. I think both are worth their current asking prices, but any reduction would've helped alleviate the sting in loss of gs. 

Btw, it sounds like gs is coming for sure in the turret swap for URSA major, and JB has caused me to believe there is definitely a pocket v2 coming soon, probably announced at the upcoming NAB. Better screen (hopefully articulating), 60p, better battery life, and if it had gs I wouldn't at all be surprised. I think it's going to come with an increased price tag, just a hunch, and will level off the current price of micro. Maybe we'll see a reduction in current pocket price? All speculation but I enjoy this with BM. They're such a cool company. 

9 hours ago, Tony Anastasi said:

Actually John mateeee, can you ask the boys next time your over about a nikon mount turret please :) I've got a big bag of nikon G glass that has no F-stop dials sitting on my shelf for the last five years doing nothing ... :) and pass along a thank you for a great job on getting stuff done in the way they do. 

ps: you missed the most iconic shot of that house on great ocean road mate.. a nice MW shot to show off the cliffs would of been sweet as... just to show the world how crazy us aussies can get ! ( was this place yeah ?) 

iconic great ocean road house - Bing images 2016-03-20 17-42-20.png

Yeah it's the house that he's driving towards in the drone shot that's downloadable.  Look closely... :-)

jb